Weird WI-FI issue....... hidden SSID

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
okay so both my work and home i connect to a wifi network with a hidden SSID. The phone has no problems connecting and when i look at wifi strength its always at or close to 100%. The issue is that even though it would be close to 100% the signal strength icon in the notification bar never shows more then 0 bars.

the phone is a Droid 1 running a Droid Concepts beta rom. it doesn't matter what rom i run they all do it even a stock rom will do this.

both networks are secured with WPA2 TKIP+AES

That dot is my wifi strength.
no-wifi.png

has anyone seen anything like this or a fix for it?

GuyM9

Reaction score
I have seen that same issue with PC's as well. When I turn off my SSID one of my outlying PC's shows a low signal strength and once in a while won't connect. When SSID is on, no problems at all.

Sprank1

Reaction score
Same exact thing here. I have the Droid 1 and when it is connected to a Hidden SSID the indicator on the phone shows the signal is zero. When I connect to a different SSID that is not hidden, the signal indicator works as expected. This does not seem to affect the way the phone works, but it is annoying that it doesn't work as expected.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Known issue. Started happening with the launch of Froyo. At least in my case, it was bouncing back and forth from very weak to full signal. It normally wouldn't drop signal, but performance definitely suffered. Making the SSID unhidden fixes the issue.

Most likely what is happening is it's usually a weak signal, even if you don't think it is. The task bar indicator polls - it's not dynamic - and so when it polls it's seeing a weak signal.

OP
garrett

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Same exact thing here. I have the Droid 1 and when it is connected to a Hidden SSID the indicator on the phone shows the signal is zero. When I connect to a different SSID that is not hidden, the signal indicator works as expected. This does not seem to affect the way the phone works, but it is annoying that it doesn't work as expected.

exactly it works fine and has good signal just the icon on the notification bar shows otherwise.

Known issue. Started happening with the launch of Froyo. At least in my case, it was bouncing back and forth from very weak to full signal. It normally wouldn't drop signal, but performance definitely suffered. Making the SSID unhidden fixes the issue.

Most likely what is happening is it's usually a weak signal, even if you don't think it is. The task bar indicator polls - it's not dynamic - and so when it polls it's seeing a weak signal.

i know its good signal because i did a test i left the phone sitting on my desk in the office which is the same room the router is in and it showed no signal on the notification bar but i checked actual strength with 3 wifi apps and all showed good/excellent signal . So i left the phone on the desk and changed my wifi settings to broadcast and then the icon on the notification bar showed full signal.

for some reason the phones wifi icon on the notification bar does not reflect the actual signal when connected to a hidden SSID. Its not a big deal since it works fine and is fast i just wondered why the signal wasnt reflected correctly on the notification bar.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Why Hide the ssid? It does little to help make it more secure...