Weird - PC quits charging phones!

theTastyCat

Reaction score
This is strange, and definitely a PC problem, but y'all are smart, so I thought I'd give it a go in here.

This happened with my TP2 and now with my DX (had it for two days - AWESOME phone!!). I plug up the phone via USB, and it begins to charge. Usually I'm also tethering. After an hour or so, the PC no longer recognizes the phone, and the PC loses the internet connection, though the phone claims it's still connected, though the charge light is off. Restarting the PC fixes the problem for another hour or so. Other PCs do NOT do this.

WHAT the heck? Is my PC power supply dying? This is very strange.

If it helps, I've been tethering with my TP2 and this problem only recently begun, but I always noticed that though the phone said charging and the LED was on and the battery showed the charge creeping up to full, the phone was not charging properly - the charge would be depleted very quickly when unplugged. I think there was just enough charge to fool the phone into thinking it was charging, even up to thinking it was full, so when I hooked it up to the wall wart overnight, it didn't try to charge.

My brain hurts - sure appreciate any ideas!

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
When you say PC, do you mean laptop or desktop?

I would look at your power saver settings or your hibernate settings. Maybe one of them is kicking in and cutting off all extraneous power sucking devices?

Start > Control Panel > Power Options (or something similar - I'm running XP still)

OP
T

theTastyCat

Reaction score
It's on my desktop. Thanks for the idea - I checked all that stuff, and it's where it should be, though good call. This just sort of began, and I don't ever change the settings on my PC. I built her about 4 years ago - I suppose now's about the time things start going wrong, but it's just funny that a reboot fixes things.

When it happens, I can unplug the cable from the PC and plug it into a different PC, and everything works just great, so I know the problem is specifically my desktop - rats!