1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

weird notification, never seen before..help appreciated

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by JDMDC2, May 26, 2010.

1. JDMDC2

JDMDC2 New Member

so, yesterday I started receiving this notification

[​IMG][​IMG]

(FOR some reason my image keeps getting deleted???? heres the direct link.... http://img689.imageshack.us/i/cap201005261118.jpg/ )

and its really starting to piss me off! I have no new messages, and don't even know what message its referring to.. whenever I get a text message it used to just be the green smiley face (stock messaging) and other messages such as gmail would show the red envelope.. but now when I get a text this notification pops up, and the green dude doesnt..but even when I open the message, or pull down notification bar this notification still shows.. the only way I can get rid of it is if I restart the phone, but as soon as someone texts me it pops right back up and stays..

could someone help point me in the right direction?? its really annoying lol

background information:
    moto droid :motdroidhoriz:
    bb v.1
    o/c 1ghz
    smoked glass
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. coolkidd

coolkidd New Member

Do you have any other email accounts? Looks like an email account to me (yahoo, hotmail, msn, etc.)
  3. JDMDC2

JDMDC2 New Member

unfortunatly, no.. infact I deleted all the stock email apps except gmail..
    the only other program I am running like this is google voice, but I checked and there are no new messages, and I even went ahead and deleted all messages but still no luck :(
  4. JDMDC2

JDMDC2 New Member

deleted google voice, no help..

when I click on the notification it sends me to the text message inbox, but all of my messages are read(opened)

does anyone have any clues??
  5. JDMDC2

JDMDC2 New Member

I am actually also getting the stock text message notification aswell as the generic notification thats posted above.

when I open the new text the stock message notification goes away, but the other one just stays until I restart the phone :huh:
  6. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

try restarting the phone?
  7. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

clear the cache of gmail (i believe its possible under apps in system settings) or if youre rooted clear your phones cache with cache cleaner or from the recovery console.
  8. JDMDC2

JDMDC2 New Member

yeah it goes away when I restart like I said above, but if I get a new text message it will come back along with the stock txt message notification
  9. JDMDC2

JDMDC2 New Member

for some reason gmail doesn't show up in the section of installed apps (settings->apps->manage apps)

yeah Im rooted, and I use CacheMate, but that didnt help either
  10. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Check drafts? Or other folders, maybe you accidentally put a new message in an other folder.
  11. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

For it to show up in the apps list you have to hit menu -> filter -> all
  12. JDMDC2

JDMDC2 New Member

oooh, thats cool. thanks I never knew that..
    but unfortunatly clearing the cache from that didn't help
  13. JDMDC2

JDMDC2 New Member

yeah I though it could be so that so I deleted all drafts, but thats not the case either.
  14. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

No prob, it may be a glitch like I get occasionally with the market. Whenever something fails to download the downloading icon stays in the notification area and they build upon themselves, Ive had up to five persistant arrows there. If I hit clear they go away until I open up the market again and download something then they re-appear.

I haven't narrowed it down to whats causing it but I know it resides in /data because it happened first when I was on CM and I decided to wipe and figured that would get rid of it. I flashed BB and restored /data via CWM and it came back! I just found out a few days ago that a backup and restore of apps using Titanium Backup doesn't "copy over" the error as CWM does. That tells me it doesn't reside in either /data/app, /data/app-private or /data/data, I gotta narrow it down further.
  15. Taegost

Taegost New Member

Do you have more then one messaging app installed? It kinda sounds like you might have a 3rd party app that is tossing up notifications, I had a similar issue when I first installed Handcent before I forgot to turn off the stock messaging notifications.
    Especially since it's happening across ROMs... Could you clarify a bit more what you mean by your comment about Titanium Backup?
  16. kingmmk

kingmmk New Member

I had this problem on a rom, it was ultimate droid if I remember correctly but I may be wrong. I just sucked it up and hit clear every time I got message. When I switched to a new rom it went away.
  17. JDMDC2

JDMDC2 New Member

nope, Im one of the few that doesn't even use handcent, I like the stock txt message app :p

but I have used it before, and I do know what issue you are reffering to, but I dont have any other txt message apps installed.

Im not exactly sure what you mean by titanium backup..?

Thank for the help everyone, but ive gone through everything I can possible try..

unless someone has any other suggestions I guess my old resort will be to wipe and put bugless beast from scratch..
  18. JDMDC2

JDMDC2 New Member

I would just "suck it up" too and hit clear everytime but the damn thing still doesnt go away, haha:icon_evil:
  19. Taegost

Taegost New Member

Ahh gotcha! Heh, sorry, I should actually pay more attention to the name of the person posting, I thought you were the one that mentioned the weirdness with Titanium :)
    You could use Titanium to back up all your apps and data, reflash with a wipe, and then use Titanium to put them all back on and see if that helps.
    I've got to be a pro at that in the last two weeks... I've been doing it too often, I keep wanting to flash my work computer and overclock it when it bogs down... :)
    Also, did you do a full wipe when you installed BB?
  20. JDMDC2

JDMDC2 New Member

haha its no problem. yeah ive tried titanium backup in the past, but when I went to reinstall the apps, I kept getting the parse error, after doing more research I followed the steps to reinstall busybox but still same error message, its not a huge deal though..

i've been through a lot of roms, but yes I always do a full wipe before installing, but i've been happy with bb v.1 since it was released, so I haven't needed to change it for a while until now..

is that looking like my only option as of now? because i swear ive gone through every basic thing that it could be..
Search tags for this page
android advertisment green smile face

android app with smiley face notification

android smiley face notification

android, red smile vs green smile notifications
droid razr smiley face notification symbol
green smiley face notification android

green smiley notification android

happy face notification on android

happy face symbol notification on droid

open envelope in notification bar on s3

smiley face notification android