Weird light

hmurphy984

Reaction score
I have a weird light on my phone that suddenly appeared today. I'm assuming it some type of sensor? But I am unsure as to why it would light up suddenly. It is not the notification light that is up in the top corner, this is sort of above the A at the end of "motorola" on the opposite side from where the notification light. It is also almost next to the camera lens. I took a picture of it, the quality isn't great, but the green is the notification (try taking a pic of that thing while it's blinking, not easy) the red is what I am talking about, it's a solid light and it's not as bright as the picture makes it look, nor is it that big, it is about the same size as the notification light and about the same intensity of red. Any ideas?

OP
H

hmurphy984

Reaction score
I would also like to add that the light goes away when I slide open the phone. Otherwise it is there when the phone is closed but regardless if the screen is on or off.

huckky

Reaction score
it looks like your proximity sensor but i have no idea why it shines like that. i use smart screen on app and it uses the same sensor to wake up the device. try to install it and then uninstall.maybe that would work (very long shot)

OP
H

hmurphy984

Reaction score
This morning

as of this morning after allowing to charge to 100% all night I was using it to check emails. As I am reading through, no lie, it starts playing some death metal type music with demon voices for a few seconds, as if a ring tone. I have no such ring tone on my phone, plus both my ring tone and media volume were down all the way as I was last using it in bed last night with a 4 month old baby sleeping next to my bed and I don't have volumes up then so I don't wake him up. I even doubled checked my volumes.

So do these phones typically get viruses or anything along those lines? I have since shut it off because that legit freaked me out. I would also like to add that before this light turned on last night it had a drained battery that caused it to shut off, which I know is bad but sometimes other things take priority to plugging in your phone like a sad 4 month old that just got vaccines and needed cuddles. Could that have damaged it in some way? Considering digging out my old original droid and using that again at this point.

mattjenn

Reaction score
If you have side loaded any 3rd party apps its very possible of a virus even some on market have virus's. Download lookout off market and scan your phone for malware

OP
H

hmurphy984

Reaction score
Thanks

I will try that. I just turned it back on after having been off for several hours. At this point the light is gone but I'm also not picking up any signal anymore. Oh crazy phone. I will update to let you know if that works. I may just bring it into a store tomorrow and see if they can figure anything out. I myself don't really have the slightest clue as to what to look for.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Did you download a flashlight app, even tho I think it woud be in back ... quick settings and lookout have flashlight modes. You may have accidentally turned them on .. just an idea.

NeXtras

Reaction score
I do believe you that it is actually emitting light, but id also like to point out that the picture you uploaded here looks like it was a screen shot of a video recording? And if thats thecase, vidoe cameras will pick up infared light (try recording yourself and point and TV remote at the camera and press the button, you'd see the IR pulses when you play the vidoe back)

I cant see anyway possible that theIR sensor would emit any kind of visible light (to the naked eye that is)

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I do believe you that it is actually emitting light, but id also like to point out that the picture you uploaded here looks like it was a screen shot of a video recording? And if thats thecase, vidoe cameras will pick up infared light (try recording yourself and point and TV remote at the camera and press the button, you'd see the IR pulses when you play the vidoe back)

I cant see anyway possible that theIR sensor would emit any kind of visible light (to the naked eye that is)
it does lol. i have one and it goes off in call. it is a prox sensor to turn off the screen when its close to your face. it looks dark red to the naked eye, when you take a pic it is way brighter.
proof https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/83882

Last edited: