1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Weird Issue: SS 5.4 + Deprimed Kernel

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Spook, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Spook

Spook New Member

Hi guys,

I was hoping someone could help with a weird issue I've been having. I switched to SS 5.4 (thank you Chevy, AWESOME work) and started playing a bit with kernels to see which one gave me the best battery.

When using Chevy's kernels (I've tried 800 ULV and LV, 1000 ULV and LV), the phone runs OK and with regular useage I get around 15 hours of uptime. When using Deprimed's without any customization (just running the overclock and primed scripts) I get around 20 hours uptime with regular use of my phone.

Now, here's where it gets tricky. With Chevy's kernels the Android OS process is just normal, but with Deprimed's the Android OS usually takes around 25% of battery useage. But as you see above, Deprimed's kernel gives me better battery life! Weird, huh?

Any ideas as to what might be going 'wrong' with Deprimed? I mean, if I can get Android OS to a lower value, in theory, the kernel should allow me to have even better battery life, right?
  2. mjones73

mjones73 New Member

That is strange, my understanding is the more Android OS usage means the phone isn't sleeping properly and that can be caused by too low of a voltage on the kernel.

You can install spare parts off the market to get a better look at what's using the battery when the phone should be sleeping.

Open the app > Battery usage > change the top selection to 'Partial wake usage'.
  3. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

Ya spook i was having same problem when using deprimed kernel though i didn't test it enough to see if i got better battery or not.

My OS typically is 2-7% but with deprimed it was about 16%. maybe ill battery test deprimed a bit tomorrow.
  4. Spook

Spook New Member

Spare parts still says that partial wake use is Android OS on the top... followed, strangely, by Facebook (weird 'cuse I seldom use it, I'm a FriendCaster user)
  5. mjones73

mjones73 New Member

Try running it without the overclock script, all that really does is drop the voltages down from the "stock" settings deprimed comes with. If you find it works better you can redo "primed" and start tweaking the voltages up on the 20overclock script til you find a good balance.
  6. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

Try clearing cache and delvik cache and lemme know if it helps. I can get ULV 800 chevy's kernel to start fine but after a while android OS shoots up and i think when i clear cache/delvik cache it helps the problem for a little while. Still testing it.
  7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Maybe it has to do with the logging being enabled on Prime's kernel compared to disabled on Chevy's?
  8. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

I disabled it on mine and still had the problem.
  9. Spook

Spook New Member

Well, I cleared cache and dalvik and what do you know? Android OS did go a liiiiittle bit lower, but now I have Android System shooting up. Battery life seems unaffected.

Next test would be to try Deprimed at stock levels, see how that works out.
  10. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

using deprimed, i got 10% android OS and like 50% running according to spare parts yet after about 18 hours(mostly idle/standby) i'm still at 70%.
  11. Spook

Spook New Member

Weird, huh? At least I got the Android OS process to go down a bit (albeit battery life seems improved only so slightly). The culprit? Bumblebee. When I switched from Bumblebee governor to Ondemand, Android OS went from over 20% to 13-16%.

Chevy's still faster but eats my battery quicker :(
  12. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

I love chevy's kernels but being able to set my own vsels/freqs with deprimed just makes me feel like i have even more control and i like it :).
  13. winner00

winner00 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Its BFS scheduler that prime added to his latest kernel.
  14. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

that is doing what? causing high android OS/running or better battery?
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  15. winner00

winner00 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Both. 10char
  16. lotrfan18

lotrfan18 New Member

Same for me. I'm getting amazing battery life with the Deprimed Kernel. I just don't ask question and thank jeebus

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  17. Spook

Spook New Member

Jeebus! hehehe So, if BFS is causing it, could anyone explain why AndroidOS is so high and battery life so good?! o_O it just boggles me hehehe (just to think that, if 'legend' is true, getting AndroidOS down in this kernel would get even better battery life...)
  18. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

Ya i swtiched to one of the other kernels without BFS and android OS is down but battery life is worse.
  19. Spook

Spook New Member

So, I guess BFS is the culprit for great battery life but increased AndroidOS... buuut, I also managed to gain about an hour of extra battery life.

How? Deleting an app I don't use: Facebook (I'm using FriendCaster). For some reason, even though all notifications were off in the app and even logging out of my account, the Facebook app always took 5-8% of the battery cake. Weird thing? It only happened on Deprimed (I monitored it in Chevy's and Facebook app never appeared).

Won't miss the app, though...
  20. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

lucky for you. My "sneaky" app is messaging. pretty important app lol