Weird GPS behavior

Tim B

Reaction score
We all know that sometimes when you open the map app it may show a location that is far from where you are and then a few seconds later it zooms to where you really are, right.

Well, check this out.

I opened maps and it showed me at a location about 200 miles west of where I really was. The weird thing is that it showed the little blue arrow moving at a steady pace in a SSE direction. It was just south of the airport in DeRidder, Louisiana and headed straight toward the Lake Chalres airport at a speed consistent with a small light aircraft (about 120 mph). I watched it for several minutes to see if it would switch to my actual location but it did not. It continued on this SSE track toward the Lake Charles airport. It was as if it was sending my the GPS track of someone else's phone.

Any comments?

BuzWeaver

Reaction score
Reboot your phone? The GPS can be glitchie from time to time. If you have the GPS Status App, you can do a little calibrating. Check out this Link.

ajGoes

Reaction score
We all know that sometimes when you open the map app it may show a location that is far from where you are and then a few seconds later it zooms to where you really are, right.

Well, check this out.

I opened maps and it showed me at a location about 200 miles west of where I really was. The weird thing is that it showed the little blue arrow moving at a steady pace in a SSE direction. It was just south of the airport in DeRidder, Louisiana and headed straight toward the Lake Chalres airport at a speed consistent with a small light aircraft (about 120 mph). I watched it for several minutes to see if it would switch to my actual location but it did not. It continued on this SSE track toward the Lake Charles airport. It was as if it was sending my the GPS track of someone else's phone.

Any comments?

Mine has done that a few times, too -- except I always end up in northern Michigan or Wisconsin. The last time it happened was especially amusing. I was just approaching Interstate 675 in Dayton, Ohio, but my phone decided I was approaching another highway I-675, 300 miles north in Saginaw, Michigan. I think that was pure coincidence though, as it's hard to see why the GPS would be looking at the map database rather than the map looking at the GPS coordinates.