weird error help "error running priveleges"!?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
and..I'm back. Sorry to see you two still here though
icon12.gif

Ok...first...Root Explorer
jqni.u.cs.png

Up at the top of the screen...IF you have root access it will let you mount the folders as Read Writable (remount as RW) and once you are done making changes you can then click it again to make things RO or Read Only. You can longpress on the files to make changes to them too. If you copy one you can paste it elsewhere using the paste button that shows up.

Onto the problem at hand. If SetCPU, says you don't have permission, if you get no # when typing su in Terminal Emulator, etc then you have lost root.

Can you flash sprecovery using the first couple of steps in the first link of my signature and/or will Rom Manager let you install it?
Actually....Rom Manager may have backed up your SG prior to its attempt to get cyanogen installed too. anyways, get back to SG 6.0

Once that is installed reboot the phone and nandroid restore the Smoked Glass rom you have backed up.

Check to see you have root when that comes back up.

Next, to install Cyanogen you will want to do a wipe of cache and data (I'm guessing you did not) and all should be well.

Last edited:

RoLa

Reaction score
It seems to me like this is a major issue...I wanted to try and FIX the problem(no root) rather than just ignoring it and settling for less. Unfortunately that is not the case...I am now having the same issues and have already reverted back to my previous state. I will continue to research this issue and hopefully come up with an answer....Right now I have to get off the computer so my wife can do her work...If you restore to a previous state you should be fine.

OP
D

dfine06

Reaction score
would i have a backup still?

Last edited by a moderator:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
would i have a backup still?

on your card you should have your backups in /sdcard/nandroid for sprecovery nanadroid restores or in /sdcard/clockwork/nandroid for clockwork nandroid restores. take note of the file names and date stamps

shoot..I edited your post instead of quoting it! :)

OP
D

dfine06

Reaction score
no it wont let me flash sprecovery. so what should i do? restore a nandroid? from where.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It seems to me like this is a major issue...I wanted to try and FIX the problem(no root) rather than just ignoring it and settling for less. Unfortunately that is not the case...I am now having the same issues and have already reverted back to my previous state. I will continue to research this issue and hopefully come up with an answer....Right now I have to get off the computer so my wife can do her work...If you restore to a previous state you should be fine.

What did you do before having root and losing root? Did you switch roms in trying to help? We know how to fix it but I'm not 100% sure what causes it....but am leaning towards switching from a rom and installing cyanogen without wiping cache and data first. Fortunately the rom is the only thing that loses root and sprecovery or clockwork does not. Otherwise you'd need to sbf back to the beginning, which is what people were doing who first had this issue. Once you know how to fix it, the process goes quick.

OP
D

dfine06

Reaction score
whats the sbf file thing that i would need to do to i guess start from scratch. this is crazy haha.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no it wont let me flash sprecovery. so what should i do? restore a nandroid? from where.

While your rom is up and running you have no root, so none of your apps have root, so you can't flash sprecovery with Rom Manager.

Check the mentioned nandroid folders and see if you have recent files in them. If you have a restore in the clockwork/nandroid folder you should be able to restore SG by just rebooting and doing the nandroid restore.

If you have no clockwork backup recovery files then you need to use one you made with sprecovery....which means you need to install sprecovery again. To do so, you need root. You will want to either use dmupdater or the first few steps in my signature to do those 2 things: root and sprecovery. Don't let the phone boot up into cyanogen or else you will lose root again. You need to restore SG.

OP
D

dfine06

Reaction score
Is there a way i can get someone to give me a healthy nandroid with root obviously nad put it in my nandroid fold and advanced nandroid restore with that file?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
whats the sbf file thing that i would need to do to i guess start from scratch. this is crazy haha.

lol...sometimes the thing you try not to do ends up being the fasted solution after all. Link 3 of my signature. Very simple easy steps. Your choice...sbf - root - sprecovery - restore SG or try and root and install sprecovery to then restore SG.

You never did say....did you skip the wiping of cache and data when installing the new rom?

OP
D

dfine06

Reaction score
im right now advanced restoring system/cache/boot.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no i didnt skip it. did it all.

I've got to run out again but when you get done it should boot into a rooted SG rom. Verify with TE or by changing CPU speeds with setcpu.

Good charge on the phone, wipe everything, try the rom again if you want. Post back with how you make out and I should be back in 30-45mins. Plenty of others around to jump in and lend a hand too.

OP
D

dfine06

Reaction score
i got it! do not even begin to ask me how haha. i think i went to advanced nandroid restore and restored my system and data from like simply stunning 3.0 and then went into rom manager and download cyanogen and wiped data and made backup an data loaded! it looks awesome! but now in rom manager how do i load faster overlcock kernals? and also heres where my prob began.

RESTORING APPS WITH TITANIUM BACKUP.
i heard you should just resinstall just apps alon not with data. but what would be my best bet now.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score