1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Weird Droid Battery Issues

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by awsolot, Aug 24, 2010.

1. awsolot

awsolot New Member

My battery is draining like crazy. I thought it was a problem with the battery itself so I tried it in my other droid but it worked fine. I tried removing all Widgets from the problem droid to see if that was the issue but still having battery issues. I'm thinking of tryin to exchange it at Verizon but I was wondering if anyone has any t-shooting ideas I can try. Thanks in advance.

Specs
    Android 2.2
    Stock.
  2. Sidewindar

Sidewindar New Member

You could always try a factory reset before you take it in. That is usually Verizon's first step anyway. Let me know if you don't know how to do one and I will post back.
  3. truckbutt

truckbutt New Member

4. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Before a factory reset, reboot into safe mode to see if the problem's still there. If so, you know that one of your apps is causing it.
  5. legalkill

legalkill Member

My News and weather app was constantly pulling data yesterday draining my battery down. I really only noticed the battery draining, then caught the data running from the 3g icon. I was apparent under the battery usage what it was as it was listed. I force closed it to stop it and back to normal. I think it got stuck in a loop because our bathroom has poor signal and I just exited out when it was in the middle of a refresh. Did you check to see what app is listed as the battery hog?
  6. mymotoq07

mymotoq07 New Member

Safe Mode??

Is safe mode only for a rooted phone? If not, how do you reboot into safe mode?
    Thanks
  7. Slingnutt

Slingnutt New Member

My phone gets SUPER hot sometimes since the update. I have noticed it uses the battery more. I turn off EVERYTHING on my power widget, and kill everything, and it still drains. It gets hot as fire, and of course won't take a charge until it cools. I don't know what's doing it, but I'm glad extra batts are cheap for this phone. I would like to know what the deal is though. Until then it's just a trial and error type situation.
  8. xtremecanefan

xtremecanefan New Member

Apps can be the cause...I once had my phone go from 100% to completely dead (no turning on) in 6 hours and i found it it was ShopSavvy draining the battery (not saying that the app is bad, just saying apps can do this).
  9. pyth0n

pyth0n New Member

task killer app was doing it on my phone.

more likely then not its 1 of your apps
  10. rol-droid

rol-droid New Member

Which app

Since a recent system update my Droid keeps reloading a bunch of apps that did not automatically load before - including news & weather, Amazon MP3, and Google services framework.

And the battery now runs down in just a few hours, even with no phone use. Previously with light use it would last perhaps two days.

And the Droid gets hot. Then the battery says it is low. If I turn off the Droid and wait a while the battery indication goes back to nearly full. This seems to indicate that something is running all the time, hogging power.

I do not have task manager set to automatically shut any apps down.

If I use advanced task manager manually to shut down the apps that pop up they just resume again after a little while.

How can I identify which apps are actually running the thing down? If I knew then I could consider uninstalling them.

Thanks!
  11. pyth0n

pyth0n New Member

hey man more likely then not its the task killer app itself. I havent used one since i go to these forums and my battery life is back to what it used to be when i first used my droid
  12. rol-droid

rol-droid New Member

advanced task manager

Before the update I was using advanced task manager in manual mode and never had a problem with it. I found it handy for turning off apps after I used them. So I am hesitant to think it is the problem.

As mentioned before, following the recent update I have this problem that various apps start up and the battery is running down. These apps never loaded by themselves before the update.

I would like these apps to stop running automatically, and I would like to identify the ones that are using so much power that the phone gets hot.

Thanks for the tip re "News and Weather" - perhaps that is one of the problem apps.
  13. pyth0n

pyth0n New Member

I have that app running and its not a problem. Im telling you just try it and you will be suprised, you dont need to stop the apps "running" in the background. Search task killers on this forums theres plenty of threads on it and theres plenty of knowledgeable people that tell you theyre useless and do more harm then good, even the google developers tell you not to use em.
  14. simonlee1125

simonlee1125 New Member

that's weird, i've been unplugged for 11 1/2 hours and i'm at 30%

running frg22
  15. amber013188

amber013188 New Member

Mine turns off every time i go to plug it in to charge via all possible ways. Any ideas on why this is happening?
  16. Slingnutt

Slingnutt New Member

I had to do a factory reset for a ringer problem (bug in 2.2 update) and I didn't install my task killer on the second go-round. My phone is running way cooler, and my battery life has almost tripled. I'm getting 14 hrs on a stock battery, running music, and regular phone usage. This is with everything off in my power widget. I don't surf on the phone as much as I did when it was new to me, but I'm still getting substantial battery life even looking things up, and "average use" of the phone. Much better than plugging in every 2 hours like I was. Now, if I'm playing chess, or poker on a game it eats it up pretty good, but I'm out in the boonies, and I definitely don' get 3G coverage, so I know it's burning up battery life looking for signal. To sum it up, It's run WAY better without the task killer, and cooler too. Rooted using LauncherPro.
  17. pyth0n

pyth0n New Member

yea my battery runs way longer now, and even though im in town for some reason my signal is muffed so until that gets solved its running about what it used to. With task killer it was drained in 6-8 hours now i go 1 or 2 days without plugging it in
  18. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

this is no weird battery problem. It's just another battery thread. I'll bet we see at least two a day of these.

Does anybody notice that you never hear from the OP on these threads after the first post? I know people don't search before posting but battery issue is always going to be part of the Droid experience. It isn't going to get better.

I hate to think how many thousands, and I'm sure there are thousands of threads there are on this subject.
  19. nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers New Member

I can confirm that ATM has problems with battery life. I too was having serous battery issues and it greatly improved after removing it. Froyo manages tasks differently then previous android versions. It is causing serious problems with any task manager, even in manual mode.

I'm not 100% convinced that Android manages itself well but it is obvious that the current crop of task managers have issues with Froyo. Updates are needed. Until then remove ATM at once.
Search tags for this page

motorola droid 3 touch gets wierd when closed

motorola indexing service running my battery down