weekly view in Calendar

esmail

Reaction score
Hello,

On my new Eris, I was disappointed to find out that I can't have a
weekly view of my calendar which is synced with my Google and work
(Zimbra) calendars. I find this quite an important feature missing,
and it may be a reason for me to return the phone before the 30 days
are up (as much as I like the Eris so far)

Does anyone know if this is a shortcoming of HTC's software, or
Android 1.5 (and presumably would be fixed with Android 2.x)? It seems
to me a friend how has a Droid can see his calendar in weekly view.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Reaction score
DROID here. Calendar allows month, week, day and agenda views. It's a feature not implemented with 1.5.

refthemc

Reaction score
DROID here. Calendar allows month, week, day and agenda views. It's a feature not implemented with 1.5.

Not quite, the Google Calender app allows that wether in 1.5 through 2.1.

The problem with the Eris is that it uses the HTC Calender which is nicer looking but I guess its missing the week view, weird huh....maybe you can find something in the Market to help you esmail?

Silver Member
Reaction score
sorry, didn't know HTC botched that up. :)

OP
E

esmail

Reaction score

Not quite, the Google Calender app allows that wether in 1.5 through 2.1.

The problem with the Eris is that it uses the HTC Calender which is nicer looking but I guess its missing the week view, weird huh....maybe you can find something in the Market to help you esmail?

If I got something from the market place, would that still have the ability to sync up with google calendar (and my Zimbra work calendar) -- I would hope/assume so but better to ask. For that matter, any way to get the stock Google calendar app? Should work nicely with the Eris.

Yes, the omission of the weekly view is really quite baffling.

OP
E

esmail

Reaction score
Any development plans to add the weekly view? Frustrating

No idea, I asked HTC about this and they couldn't tell me anything about it - made it sound as if this was a shortcoming of the Android platform.

Their text message application also differs from the stock Android application I think. The stock Android app shows time stamps for all text messages/SMS, on the HTC Sense application you only get time stamps for the current day. For previous days no information about the time the text message/SMS was sent/received is displayed -though the system has that information.

My question really is, why can't I download these non-Sense UI/HTC applications and use them? Isn't Android open source and shouldn't that make it easy to just post them on the market place?

lowtech

Reaction score
I like CalWidget (in the Market) that shows events from today onward for a month, and improvements coming according to the developer.

OP
E

esmail

Reaction score
I like CalWidget (in the Market) that shows events from today onward for a month, and improvements coming according to the developer.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions, it seems I've come across the name before, so I'll check it out for sure.

Just a clarification re terminology, a widget is an iconic representation of the app on on of the screens, while the app is .. well .. the app itself (ie the main thing running), is that correct? if so, then I'm really looking for an app rather than a widget.

lowtech

Reaction score

Hi, thanks for the suggestions, it seems I've come across the name before, so I'll check it out for sure.

Just a clarification re terminology, a widget is an iconic representation of the app on on of the screens, while the app is .. well .. the app itself (ie the main thing running), is that correct? if so, then I'm really looking for an app rather than a widget.

Yes - but it is a large widget, which, if you choose the largest size, fills one Home Screen, showing about 2 weeks worth of appointments. (One good thing is that you have a wide choice of sizes.) You might just take a look at it - not a "typical" widget! :)

OP
E

esmail

Reaction score
Yes - but it is a large widget, which, if you choose the largest size, fills one Home Screen, showing about 2 weeks worth of appointments. (One good thing is that you have a wide choice of sizes.) You might just take a look at it - not a "typical" widget! :)

Will do, thanks!

3nd0Man

Reaction score
Great recommendation of CalWidget!
I'm surprised that week view is not already supported, but this widget is pretty sweet.

lowtech

Reaction score
I'm surprised that week view is not already supported, but this widget is pretty sweet.

I do agree - that view should be standard - come on HT! Very glad this helped you too! :)

OP
E

esmail

Reaction score

I do agree - that view should be standard - come on HT! Very glad this helped you too! :)

Hi, just to let you know (and thank you too), I downloaded this widget earlier today and it's helpful to have. Still hoping that the next version of HTC's Sense UI will have the weekly view built in.

lowtech

Reaction score

Hi, just to let you know (and thank you too), I downloaded this widget earlier today and it's helpful to have. Still hoping that the next version of HTC's Sense UI will have the weekly view built in.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to contact HTC - however one does that - and request that feature? I would suppose that's how they know what customers want...