WebSharing: Overview and Screenshots

Discussion in 'NextApp' started by tliebeck, Apr 20, 2010.

1. tliebeck

tliebeck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    WebSharing enables you to wirelessly transfer files to and from your phone/device using only a web browser. You can play and manage music, view your photographs, and manage files on your device using your WI-FI network.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Screenshots
    (Click to open screenshots in new tabs/windows.)

Browser Screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Phone Screenshots:
    [​IMG]

More screenshots available @ android.nextapp.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    Feature Listing

• File Browser: Use the file browser to upload and download content to and from your device. The file browser also provides file management features including creating folders, and renaming and deleting items. A multiple file upload feature (available on browsers that support Flash) allows you to quickly upload many files to your device at the same time.
    • Music: A built-in music player (playback requires Flash) enables you to stream music from your device to your computer. The music tab features the ability to browse by album, artist, and playlist. Tracks can be uploaded and downloaded wirelessly, with the capability to send/receive multiple tracks at once.
    • Photos: The photo browser lets you display and download photos from your device on your computer.
    • Videos: You can use the video player to watch movies recorded from your phone. This requires that the movie format be playable using Adobe Flash (Motorola Droid video format is compliant).
    • Status: A status monitor lets you see the current state of your phone, including its battery charge state, disk usage, processor utilization and wireless signal strength.
    • User Control: Two configurable user accounts, "owner" and "guest", allow fine-grained control over what content is accessible through WebSharing. The owner account can see all content on the device, while the guest account can only view certain items that you specify. Each account has its own password and can be quickly enabled or disabled from the main screen of the application.
    • WebDAV: WebDAV can be used to mount your phone as a disk drive over Wi-Fi. This feature is currently in beta, and while beta must be manually enabled from the settings. Given current feedback, it will likely soon exit the beta period.

The application runs as a service on your phone, freeing you to perform other tasks with the phone while it is in use. An indicator will appear in the notification bar when WebSharing is active.

WebSharing does not send any information over the Internet to NextApp or third party servers. All communication is made directly from your computer to your phone and vice-versa. There is no monthly fee or online registration associated with the product.

The full version is available for $2.99 on the market. A "Lite" version with only the file transfer feature is available for free. The Lite version is however quite functional and does not contain ads/nagging.

2. bomber889

bomber889 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Will you be able to transfer all of your sd card?

3. tliebeck

tliebeck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Technically yes, but it might take a bit of time for a larger SD card, e.g., a full version of the 16GB item in a Droid. I find typical transfer rates for a "fast" phone with reasonably good Wi-Fi equipment is about 2 MB (megabytes) per second. So 16GB would take about 8,000 seconds, or about 2.5 hours.

The fastest way to do this is probably going to be to not use WebSharing, and instead remove the SD card from your phone (generally speaking, turn phone off first) and place it in a SD card drive/adapter in your computer.

The free version should be able to do this. Just select all the folders you want to download (Ctrl+Click them) and then select "Download" from the file menu. The files will be downloaded as an uncompressed zip file.

4. JB4times4

JB4times4 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any support for listening to music through your phone from your computers hard drive?

5. tliebeck

tliebeck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This isn't supported.

With WebSharing, your phone is acting as a server, and your computer is the client. To stream music from computer-to-phone, you'd need server software running on your computer. I can't think of any Android software that does this off the top of my head, but I imagine there may well be something that does. I know some of the file managers will let you access SMB (Windows) shares from your phone, but I don't think they go so far as to allow streaming of music.

WebSharing can of course do the reverse, i.e., stream music which is on your phone to your computer.

6. JB4times4

JB4times4 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. This sounds like something I've looked for for a while so I'll check it out!

7. drummerq

drummerq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Question here, will the other apps u develop and developed be in here. I.e. your redivulously awesome task manavger with a flawless UI.

Next is my request. I would like to be able to edit music tabs in the pro version. What I mean is when you get music from one of the music downloading apps like imusic or music junk and the title id #%&* by &=%-$#. And you want it to be airplanes by B.o.B. to be able to edit these. Idk how this would be done or if its plawsable but that would be a nice feature.

Thirdly I don't understand what that thing that's in beta is. Could you give a dumn down lame man terms discription??

Great app and looking forward to updates.

8. tliebeck

tliebeck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

I need to add a thread for SystemPanel as well, buried with work at the moment (curiously on SystemPanel :)).

Tag editing would be a bit of work. It's not impossible of course, and it might not be too bad if there's a nice open-source Java-based API out there for editing ID3 tags. Doing it manually can be a bit of a pain though. ID3 only works for MP3's if I recall correctly, I'm not sure how they're stored in AAC tracks, but from what I know of the MPEG format, it might be quite hard unless libraries exist.

The feature that's in beta for WebSharing, and is soon to not be, is "WebDAV". It's a web-based (HTTP) file transfer protocol, similar to FTP or Windows Networking (SMB). Windows, Mac, and Linux all support it, and you can use it to mount your phone to your desktop as though it is a disk drive. Just turn it on, start WebSharing, and then follow the directions in the Help menu for your specific operating system to try it out. WebDAV does require the paid version.

9. JB4times4

JB4times4 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Love the app, I'm going to buy it as soon as I get the money on my card. Will it support going the other way? copy files off your computer? Also, does it work without being in a lan?

10. tliebeck

tliebeck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It won't work the other way. To be able to access your computer *FROM* your phone, you'd need some type of file server running on your computer. You can of course upload and download files to/from your phone, but to access it, you must always be at the computer.

If you want to do this, look around for an app that can access Windows networking (SMB) shares in the market. You'll need to set up Windows networking on your computer (Macs and Linux boxes can server Windows network shares as well).

WebSharing will work over cellular networks, but carriers may and DO block it.

From what I have found, in the US:

T-Mobile always blocks it.
    Sprint doesn't block it. I cannot guarantee this, but I've yet to have any complaints about cellular access not being possible on Sprint.
    I have information about AT&T.

Verizon blocks it in some regions. So far I've had reports of it not working in Georgia, New York, and Pennsylvania. It works in Southern California.

All of the above may change at ANY time. Please do not rely on this data in any capacity.

It will of course *ALWAYS* work over WiFi, carriers have no capability to block that.

11. JB4times4

JB4times4 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do I know if it's available in my region (verizon) I can't turn my sharing on unless I'm connected to wifi.
    [EDIT]
    DurDaDur...just noticed I have to have cellular access turned on.

12. tliebeck

tliebeck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, just Settings->Network Settings->Cellular Access.

You can also test it quickly by running the diagnostics with wifi off, cell access on, and WebSharing running.

Search tags for this page

change screenshot sd card

nextapp websharing access sd card

webdav

websharing app why can't i see my sd card

websharing samsung s4