Weatherbug and other gps based apps placing me in Portland, Oregon

sonnyblaq

Reaction score
What is going on? Any clues why "my location" places me in Portland? I saw it happen repeatedly to my friends droid incredible. Now my co-workers with DROID 2 Globals and my Bionic is doing the same through weatherbug. Wtf?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I was using Google Navigation two days ago and it had me driving somewhere in Quebec in an area without roads. Good thing I didn't make any phone calls at that time.

REMilk

Reaction score
I wish I were in Portland, OR. I could play a lot of cribbage in that area!

I have not had this happen to me in nearly 2 years. The first time I updated my roaming capabilities this problem cleared up. About once a month, I update my roaming capabilities.

To update your roaming capabilities, dial (on the phone) *228, then select Option 2 and wait until the process completes.

Good Luck,
Bob

JRParsons

Reaction score
From what I understand, you should not do *228 on a 4G phone. I don't recall why, but I've read it more than once and when you're on hold with Verizon it says you can update your 3G phone by dialing *228, it omits 4G phones.
I've read that it can fry your sim card, but again, I don't know why or how.
To the OP, stuff like this was common on the Thunderbolt, it has been addressed in updates, hopefully yours will be corrected also.

srvctec

Reaction score
Try an app called "GPS Status" free from the Market. There is an option to reset gps data and it will recalibrate the gps sensor. Works fantastic.

Sent from my DROID X2