Weather Channel vs Weatherbug

brochaos

Reaction score
I updated to Elite and while I like what it's got, I'm skeptical about its source for weather information for current conditions.

At the moment there isn't a cloud in the sky. Weather Channel and Beautiful Widgets (using AccuWeather) says Sunny or Partly Cloudy, but Elite says Drizzle, (with rain over the weekend).

haha that was tripping me out too. i'm in socal as well obviously. not sure whats up with that? although right now it shows cloudy, which is true i guess, more like marine layer though, no? maybe thats why they say drizzle? temps are spot on between news/weather widget and WBelite.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I freely admit I'm highly prejudice against Weather Bug. Why?

The original Weather Bug on the PC was one of the first programs to bring spy wear with it. When I had my Blackberry Storm it caused battery issues and other problems.

So I won't even give it a chance on my Droid. Anyway I never liked the set up on it. Using info from churches, schools. Heck I don't even know how close these places are to my house.

I have both Weather Channel and Rainy Days for radar. That with my local television station app for local news and weather and I'm all set.

techguru

Reaction score
Hookbill. Weatherbug for PC was one of the first ADware apps, and was obnoxiously aggressive about it, but it was not spyware.

virtually all free apps on Android are adware, although none as intrusive as the original weatherbug.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hookbill. Weatherbug for PC was one of the first ADware apps, and was obnoxiously aggressive about it, but it was not spyware.

virtually all free apps on Android are adware, although none as intrusive as the original weatherbug.

I could have sworn it had spyware in it as well. Doesn't change my mind, I still don't like it. I know lots of people love it, just stating my opinion.

The Blackberry issues are true. May not be relevant here. I just don't want it on my Droid.

techguru

Reaction score
Hookbill,

You certainly have the right to express your opinion. I just didn't want the fear of spyware influence someone else. Personally I thing the bug does a few features better than weather channel, but both are really good apps. I am not surprised to hear about issues on the blackberry though. I think they got some new programmers lately because the quality of their apps has improved dramatically in the last few releases.

Codiusprie

Reaction score

The original Weather Bug on the PC was one of the first programs to bring spy wear with it. When I had my Blackberry Storm it caused battery issues and other problems.

So I won't even give it a chance on my Droid. Anyway I never liked the set up on it. Using info from churches, schools. Heck I don't even know how close these places are to my house.

I have both Weather Channel and Rainy Days for radar. That with my local television station app for local news and weather and I'm all set.

PC Weather Bug was a giant pile of ****, you're right. Android Weather Bug is really good and the best weather app I've found on the market. My fiance was using the Weather Channel app and she played with Weather Bug a bit and switched. Give it a shot.

Also, on the setup. Wunderground.com does the same thing and I find it is THE MOST accurate weather site out there. Anyone can grab a weather station off the net for 100 bucks and upload weather data to wunderground so you get a wide range of data from all over the area. It is either have a church or school that is a few miles from your locations give the data or a weather station that is a few miles from your location.

ShoeSh1ne

Reaction score
The default weather widget it awesome.

7 day forecast, hourly temps and percipitation %

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Weather Bug does not only use info from churches and schools. Where I live, the main choice is the local commercial airport, which has the regional NOAA weather station. Another choice is the local observatory (3 telescopes in domes), which has a very good weather station. There is also data from schools and such in towns within about 50 miles from my home, for those who live out in the wilderness.

Another choice for weather that I use is wunderground.com, which has already been mentioned. It uses the forecast from NOAA, which comes from the same regional airport that I see on Weather Bug. The thing that I like about wunderground is that I can also get data from local private weather stations, which are closer to my house than the regional airport. Two of them are about 2 miles away and at the same altitude as my house. The airport is at a much higher elevation. I find both Weather Bug and wunderground excellent weather sources for my Droid. I normally use the Weather Channel and wunderground on my home computer. One of the things that I like about Weather Bug is the animated radar map, so that I know the direction of movement of a weather system so that I can see if it is going to hit me when I am out. Unless I was missing something, Weather Channel did not give me that on the Droid. Wunderground does on my home computer, but I can't get animation on the Droid. I suspect that is because it requires flash for animation.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Unless I was missing something, Weather Channel did not give me that on the Droid. Wunderground does on my home computer, but I can't get animation on the Droid. I suspect that is because it requires flash for animation.

You are missing something. WC has animation. Hit "Map it" from a location screen. You get a static radar image as default. Hit the play button and it animates. Hit Menu>Map layers and you can add traffic, clouds, clouds/radar, 24 hr rainfall or snowfall

Logan176

Reaction score
True, the Weather Channel app does have a radar map. But the animations are horrible. Doesn't matter if I use 3g or WiFi, it's still like watching dialup waiting for all the frames to run smoothly. I have been using the Weather Channel app for about 6 months and I just downloaded Weather Bug. I like WB so far but I'm keeping them both on my phone a little while longer to make a better comparison.