Weather App with MOVING radar.

joker920

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if there is a free weather app. that gives moving radar?

If so, does it actually show the radar on the Droid or does it simply direct you to a website?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if there is a free weather app. that gives moving radar?

If so, does it actually show the radar on the Droid or does it simply direct you to a website?

I think you would need flash in order to have something like that and as of right now the Droid doesn't have it. If such an app is out there I don't know about it.

OP
joker920

joker920

Reaction score
Strange. I had a much older phone previously that gave "moving" radar. Granted it was simply showing a serious of 3-4 images (A picture taken each hour) to simulate the movement, but I don't know why Droid can't do that, or at least simply navigate to a weather page that does it.

pilot25

Reaction score
There are a couple apps on the market but they aren't very good. I'm sure improvements are to come.

butch350

Reaction score
Strange. I had a much older phone previously that gave "moving" radar. Granted it was simply showing a serious of 3-4 images (A picture taken each hour) to simulate the movement, but I don't know why Droid can't do that, or at least simply navigate to a weather page that does it.

Those 3 to 4 images are called, Looped. They show the movement of
the echoes, the direction they are coming from and the direction they are
headed.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Fair enough. I went to a local television weather radar's site and tried there looping weather. I just got a grey screen, it wouldn't work.

I'm pretty certain it's because it needs flash.

Now there MAY be an app that will work like that. I just don't know of any.

MaxBobcat

Reaction score
'Radar Now' has moving radar with a time stamp. It's a pretty crappy IMO tho.

The radar looks more scattered and not what I'm used to seeing on the local news.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The radar looks more scattered and not what I'm used to seeing on the local news.

I couldn't get it to even work. It just kept trying to locate, then loading data, over and over again.

MaxBobcat

Reaction score

I couldn't get it to even work. It just kept trying to locate, then loading data, over and over again.

Yeah, that's happened to me too.

One time it said that I should turn GPS on and then reload the program.

Other times it works with the GPS off. :wacko:

TimChgo9

Reaction score
Radar Now! works pretty good. It uses the local NWS radar feed. Most of the NWS radars are not up to the standard of the radar on Wunderground.com, especially wunderground's WunderMap.

I think once we get flash, the weather apps, esp. the radar may improve. I hope so, because my Treo 650 was able to get a better radar display, 5 years ago.

19thumper76

Reaction score
im using the app from the weather channel and it has moving radar, works fine plus with gps on the weather info follows u, i drive 50mi one way to work every day and the weather can be very different from start to finish and it will pop alerts

mikes

Reaction score
The Weather Channel allows you to overlay a map with various layers, including clouds and radar. It will animate 15-30 minute intervals for the prior couple of hours.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
The accuweather app is cool - it has a widget that you can place on ur screen and then when tapped, it directs you to the accuweather website where you can view the radar. I use this quite a bit as I travel quite a bit with my job...