Wear App quick review: Coffee

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
COFFEE. I've been trying this app out for about 3-4 weeks now.
(Johnny K, this is the app I thought about doing a video review of, but I simply don't like it enough to put in that kind of effort. lol)

Coffee - SMS on Android Wear - Android Apps on Google Play

Coffee, briefly, gives you a quick way to interact with text messages from your watch, without the clunkiness of using a keyboard and not having to speak to your wrist. It's all about the tapping. It works perfectly with any messaging app you have on your phone without interfering with it. (Of course, I can only confirm it works great with 8SMS, but the company says it works great with any, and I believe that).
It has 100's of canned responses you can use. Many of these canned responses can be edited and customized.
It is handled very well.
IIYGAnGvUFxUANbhr_D-9eC1V09I6HfjlRHKf57SPQu9l8j1b5DJuh6g9J3J-Afgd0k=h310-rw
Click on this icon for a quick yes/no reply, click on that one for location related replies.
Click the star for you favorite replies, the question mark for answers to questions, or to ask one. These menus can take you into deeper ones with more icon based messages or replies.
You can initiate a new SMS to your favorite people. 4 of them, anyway. It seems to add the 4 most contacted favorited people to the app. I couldn't figure out how to see more.

jGhojP7ehAnnE3lBn9gmAMwxBy2QHGCwNqn1YjTaYKTQ1q7G-g_FJMdHdnyzSaLplw=h310-rw

Another neat thing is that you can actually browse your message history when you receive a new message.
Coffee can set a custom vibrate pattern that you can assign to specific contacts. I did play with this, but didn't find it all that useful. By the time I realize it is vibrating for a text, I've missed part of the pattern: "did it vibrate twice, one short and one long already..."?

I see that, in the last update, (which I did not try) every message is now editable. And they are trying to make things even faster. However, I have already uninstalled it.
Why?
I tried it. I wanted to love it. But the bottom line for me: I found that anytime I would start tapping on my watch to send a reply, unless it was just a quick "OK" or "OMW" type of reply, I would wind up pulling out my phone and just replying on that.
I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10 but, like many things, if you really put the time into it to customize it, you may get more out of it then I did.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Interesting concept at least. Glad to see someone working to add functionality. I'd say my biggest complaint about just using Hangouts via the watch is that there's no way to browse recent conversations or anything. If you want to review a conversation you've had with a specific person without pulling your phone out, you have to hope they respond or send you a new text. It'd be nice if you could pull up the convo thread on the watch whenever you want. "Oh yeah. I need to text so-and-so back about that thing we were discussing. What did she say about it again...?" That kinda thing. Maybe I'm just being picky.

I can see how this particular app could get kinda convoluted, depending on how far into the menus you have to go to find the right response. Personally, if I'm somewhere that I'm not exactly comfortable talking to the watch, or if I have a long reply to compose, I'm gonna pull my phone out anyway just like you did. Otherwise, it's quicker to just say a short sentence or two to the watch and let it carry your message away. Would be nice if you could edit specific words in those spoken replies as well, since I'm mentioning things that I wish were handled better.

Also, not sure why it never capitalizes the first letter of whatever you say by default, but that's another matter entirely.

As for what to do about app threads, I'd suggest that we create separate threads per app, just to make conversations easier to follow. Once you start to get even 2-4 apps in one thread and people quoting each other to try and keep it organized, it'll end up getting difficult to follow.

If we can build up enough discussion about wearables, perhaps an admin will take pity on us and give us a bit more structured section of the forum, more like each individual phone has. I don't think we'd even necessarily need to have it divided by device, but by topic might be nice some day.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Good point.
Can you change the Title? Won't let me.

"Wear App quick review: Coffee"

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4

You can initiate a new SMS to your favorite people. 4 of them, anyway. It seems to add the 4 most contacted favorited people to the app.

Another neat thing is that you can actually browse your message history when you receive a new message.
I really like that you can see the message history. Also, I was able to add 6 contacts to send messages from the contacts spot in the app on my phone. Is that what you meant by favorites?

Last edited:

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I really messed up that message. Still on a learning curve, forgive me.

✋ Sent from my Droid Turbo with Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
(Johnny K, this is the app I thought about doing a video review of, but I simply don't like it enough to put in that kind of effort. lol)

Coffee, briefly, gives you a quick way to interact with text messages from your watch, without the clunkiness of using a keyboard and not having to speak to your wrist. It's all about the tapping. It works perfectly with any messaging app you have on your phone without interfering with it. (Of course, I can only confirm it works great with 8SMS, but the company says it works great with any, and I believe that).
It has 100's of canned responses you can use. Many of these canned responses can be edited and customized.
It is handled very well.
IIYGAnGvUFxUANbhr_D-9eC1V09I6HfjlRHKf57SPQu9l8j1b5DJuh6g9J3J-Afgd0k=h310-rw
Click on this icon for a quick yes/no reply, click on that one for location related replies.
Click the star for you favorite replies, the question mark for answers to questions, or to ask one. These menus can take you into deeper ones with more icon based messages or replies.
You can initiate a new SMS to your favorite people. 4 of them, anyway. It seems to add the 4 most contacted favorited people to the app. I couldn't figure out how to see more.

jGhojP7ehAnnE3lBn9gmAMwxBy2QHGCwNqn1YjTaYKTQ1q7G-g_FJMdHdnyzSaLplw=h310-rw

Coffee can set a custom vibrate pattern that you can assigned to contacts. I did play with this, but didn't think it was all that useful. By the time you realize it's vibrating for a text, I've missed part of the pattern: "did it vibrate twice, one short and one long already..."?

I see in the last update they (which I did not try) every message is now editable. And they are trying to make things even faster. However, I have already uninstalled it.
Why?
I tried it. I wanted to love it. But the bottom line for me, I found that anytime I would start tapping on my watch to send a reply, unless it was just a quick "OK" or "OMW" type of reply, I would wind up pulling out my phone and just replying on that.
I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10 but, like many things, if you really put the time into it to customize it, you may get more out of it then I did.
Sounds perfect for my 20 something kids that have a 50 word (at most) vocabulary and though they haven't s clue about the world around them they'd surely get the custom vibrate for contacts expertly every time. 1 long ,2 short? Oh that's Brittany D. 2 long,1 short? Oh that's Brittany S. 3 Short? Oh that's .......
Great review btw

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As for what to do about app threads, I'd suggest that we create separate threads per app, just to make conversations easier to follow. Once you start to get even 2-4 apps in one thread and people quoting each other to try and keep it organized, it'll end up getting difficult to follow.

If we can build up enough discussion about wearables, perhaps an admin will take pity on us and give us a bit more structured section of the forum, more like each individual phone has. I don't think we'd even necessarily need to have it divided by device, but by topic might be nice some day.
I'm doing what I can on the Tizen based front and think you've got a great idea having a Wear apps section inside the Wearables area.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate