Weak signal strength

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the number of bars is a relative indicator. From phone to phone it can vary. The only thing that counts is -db. Bars are nearly meaningless unless you don't see any at all or you are comparing the same device in different locations.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the number of bars is a relative indicator. From phone to phone it can vary. The only thing that counts is -db. Bars are nearly meaningless unless you don't see any at all or you are comparing the same device in different locations.

More bars is great for an alcoholic looming to paint one on. For a Verizon customer to use as a basis for reception quality, not so great.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

MistaMean

Reaction score
I'm really satisfied with my Note 3 reception quality. Coming from a Motorola DROID 4, I felt Verizon and Motorola had the best reception, I base this from my coworkers that have different phones and carriers, Verizon customers would alway have service on our floor of the hospital which has no windows and is concrete jungle. I was one of the few that could still get service, I was very surprised and relieved to see that my reception is as good if not better than my Motorola, this phone is a lot more powerful and it serves me all the unlimited data I can handle quickly everywhere I've been so far. If I run into any problems with my reception I'll report back here with the situation.

Last edited:

pvsmith

Reaction score
I have the same problem with much weaker reception on my Note 3 compared to my Bionic. I love everything else about this phone but not nearly as good as my Bionic for use as hot spot.

jsandy

Reaction score
I started a similar thread and as an update, if anything, my reception has been worse since thesoftware uograde in early November. I've been back to Verizon 2x. The first time they replaced the SIM card (with no effect). The second time, they called tech support from the store. After I explained to tech support my problems they offered, and I accepted, me a new Note 3. I'm hoping that I just got a defective phone because I love the features but I have to be able to communicate over the thing. They so readily offered a new phone (over nighted) that I'm wondering that there may have been a "bad" batch. (This last is pure speculation and not based on any thing other than my own experience) I'll report after I get the new phone set up.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well, I will say that was the initial problem with the Bionic.....a bad batch. Once that had been cycled through, random data drops became a thing of the past. So it is possible...

On the other hand, it is a common complaint. However even though I have less bars than I did on my GS3, I haven't dropped a single call or had any cut out since I got out, even in places my GS3 would fail.

Last edited:

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
I'm pretty thankful that I have not had an issue. In fact when I saw that some people were reporting reception issues, I was afraid to take the new update. Thankfully I still love this device and have 0 I repeat 0 issues.

jsandy

Reaction score
As a follow up report on my signal strength issues:
It turns out that I had a bad phone. Verizon sent me a "new" phone and after activation I was able to get a 3g signal in the location where before I had zero signal of any kind. It wasn't great strength but was on par with my ols Razr Maxx. I'm at least able to talk and text.
Having said all that and giving the Note 3 its due, I still am going to have to wrestle with Verizon. The replacement phone is "refurbished" ( piece of crap screen protector was still on) While it works I am still leery of the reliability of a "refurbished phone". I paid full price (in order to keep my unlimited plan) for a "new" phone. Since the first "new" phone was defective I think that my replacement phone should be "new".
This signal strength issue must be a known problem with at least one batch of the Note 3. They issued a firm ware upgrade so soon after roll out and w/o hesitation authorized a replacement phone for me.

S

SFGate

Agree with you on the refurbished phone issue. You paid for a new phone, you should get a new phone, that works.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
I too can't stand a refurbished phone. I've had nothing but issues the last time I had to get my phone replaced. Let us know if you get it worked out to get a new one. You could try going directly through Samsung since it was brand new and still under the manufacturer warranty.

shobe

Reaction score
Looks like I need to take my phone in for a warranty replacement. Looking at signal strength, it is normally in the almost lost range, even in my house. And for the record, bars are only used for a general idea of signal strength. I was not initially posting because of the number of bars but because I completely lost signal in a location where I had no problems with my Bionic or even with my OG droid.

Thanks to all for their input on this subject.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

shobe

Reaction score
Called Verizon tech support today and was told that there is a difference between Motorola and Samsung where the antenna isn't as good as motorolla so I shouldn't expect for the same results (insert expletive thoughts here). She went on to say that there is another update that is due to come out mid-December. We shall see what happens then.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I would replace phone ..tell them you are dissatisfied with reception ...I doubt the update will help your situation ..in my experience I've not seen many updates that helped with radios in fringe areas ..what dbm are you getting for signal strength?

N3 tapa

jsandy

Reaction score
That's B.S. I knew there was something wrong when my wife's s4, sitting on the car dash got a much better signal, than my Note 3. I went back to the store twice. The first time was given a new sim card. 2nd time, the tech in the store called customer service. Handed the phone to me, rolled over in less than 5 minutes and overnighted me a replacement. The replacement is refurbished (another issue) buts pulls in the same signal strength as my wife's S4 (and my old Razr Maxx) I am convinced that there was a bad batch of radios.

KaChow

Reaction score
If suffering from Poor Service and have Root, try this. First, Enable the Hidden Menu instructions here for OP post #1. Once, the Hidden Menu is all set and your phone has rebooted, go into your dial pad and dial-> *#0011# you should get something that appears like the screenshot below. Make a screenshot and post in thread in here and we'll take a look at your service. :biggrin:

View attachment 68132