Weak maxx haptic feedback

jdroid80

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues with the haptic/vibrate feedback?

It's not great on my 1st RAZR but it's nearly non-existant on the maxx.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is a known issue. I'm sure it has the same motor for vibration that the Razr has and with the little bit of extra weight and general heft, the vibration is felt less. Don't know if there is any fix for it.

MaXGTS

Reaction score
I just compared the vibration on my 2 year old OG Droid to my new Razr Maxx. What a huge difference. The Razr Maxx's vibration is almost nonexistent.

OP
jdroid80

jdroid80

Reaction score
OK thanks. I just turned on the sound and it works better than the vibration for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This may be a stretch but see if this makes sense to ya.... ok. The more rigid or solid an object is, the better it transfers vibration. Example.... get an old f body car, drive it as it came from the factory..... pretty forgiving ride. Now take that same car and put subframe connectors under it.... effectively making the entire car more rigid. Now when you drive the car, you feel a lot more of the road, bumps, etc.

What I'm thinking is that the razr and the maxx are built around the battery and kevlar, and glass. If you wanted too you could snap the phone in half.

The phone isn't built on a metal frame like the older moto phones... so the phone is not as rigid.... therefore it soaks up a lot of the vibration before it's passed along to the user.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws... but i believe that this is a plausable explanation. ???? Maybe not. Thought I'd take a stab at it.

cjsmoove

Reaction score
This may be a stretch but see if this makes sense to ya.... ok. The more rigid or solid an object is, the better it transfers vibration. Example.... get an old f body car, drive it as it came from the factory..... pretty forgiving ride. Now take that same car and put subframe connectors under it.... effectively making the entire car more rigid. Now when you drive the car, you feel a lot more of the road, bumps, etc.

What I'm thinking is that the razr and the maxx are built around the battery and kevlar, and glass. If you wanted too you could snap the phone in half.

The phone isn't built on a metal frame like the older moto phones... so the phone is not as rigid.... therefore it soaks up a lot of the vibration before it's passed along to the user.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws... but i believe that this is a plausable explanation. ???? Maybe not. Thought I'd take a stab at it.

How would you explain the strong Haptic feedback on the Bionic?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Interesting and well thought our hypothesis. I will add the following.

The vibration motors in the OG Droid & D2 are larger motors. I have seen both up close having had both apart. Also, the offset counterweight which the motor spins to cause the vibration is larger. Finally, the motor only has 1 weight.

The vibration motors in the RAZR and also therefore the RAZR MAXX are considerably smaller. Then, the RAZR motors have 2 counterweights, each on opposite ends of the motor's through shaft. Finally, the two weights are smaller than that of the D1 &D2. Again, I've seen the motor in my RAZR and have pics I'll post later.

The purpose was to reduce the footprint of the motor and allow effort a thinner design since the vibration motor is mounted in the bottom of the phone next to the microphone. In fact, the only reason why the RAZR couldn't be the same thickness along the full length is the rear camera which is pretty thick, the front camera which is somewhat thinner, the front and rear speakers, and the various jacks at the top.

So my theory is that the dual counterweight design was to help the smaller motor to make a stronger vibration. Unfortunately since the counterweights are smaller in diameter, they don't create enough centrifugal force to have the desired effect.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Try the app Light Flow. You can set additional vibration notifications. When I get a text, I have my phone set to vibrate three times in a row. It's still a bit weak, but it helps!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
How would you explain the strong Haptic feedback on the Bionic?

The bionic has a metal frame. Its also got the bigger vibration component, as was just pointed out.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Interesting and well thought our hypothesis. I will add the following.

The vibration motors in the OG Droid & D2 are larger motors. I have seen both up close having had both apart. Also, the offset counterweight which the motor spins to cause the vibration is larger. Finally, the motor only has 1 weight.

The vibration motors in the RAZR and also therefore the RAZR MAXX are considerably smaller. Then, the RAZR motors have 2 counterweights, each on opposite ends of the motor's through shaft. Finally, the two weights are smaller than that of the D1 &D2. Again, I've seen the motor in my RAZR and have pics I'll post later.

The purpose was to reduce the footprint of the motor and allow effort a thinner design since the vibration motor is mounted in the bottom of the phone next to the microphone. In fact, the only reason why the RAZR couldn't be the same thickness along the full length is the rear camera which is pretty thick, the front camera which is somewhat thinner, the front and rear speakers, and the various jacks at the top.

So my theory is that the dual counterweight design was to help the smaller motor to make a stronger vibration. Unfortunately since the counterweights are smaller in diameter, they don't create enough centrifugal force to have the desired effect.

I'll agree with that as well. Now what we need is to see what the vibration motors do outside of the phones, side by side. It would be interesting to see if the smaller motor is putting out anything comparable to the larger unit.

sent using my RAZR MAXX