We need a Battery "Stickie thread"

YellowJacket

Reaction score
OK, it seems like there is not a day that goes by without some sort of questions or comments about batteries and foxkat et al d an exceptional job of answering their questions. There is a plethora of information that flows through many threads here, some good and some not so good.

I think it would be abundantly helpful to the community if Foxkats battery info could be compiled into an informative thread and stickied in hopes that it will keep all the pertinent information handy for anyone looking for info on it.

So, I cast my vote for "The Difinitive Battery Information" thread and a stickie. :hail: :icon_ lala:

David

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Foxkat, Foxkat, he's our man, if he can't do it, no one can!!
I agree. We need an easily found sticky for battery help.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm a proud owner of a maxx that was a battery addict, and Thanx to the FoxKat method, my phone now sips on it's battery. I agree entirely about needing a battery sticky, or even a sub forum, with FoxKats teachings and links to the many, many, many battery threads that he's already contributed to. I say this out of respect for him, and the others on this forum (including myself) that continuously spread the word.... PLEASE GIVE US A BATTERY STICKY OR SUB FORUM!! ...Now I'll get off of my soapbox before someone knocks me right off the server lol. :hail::hail::hail::icon_ lala:

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I 100% agree... this would be extremely helpful. As it is, everyday are questions about battery issues and everyday the same advise is given over and over. It would be very helpful to have one thread, topic, sticky dedicated to battery care and we could direct any questions to there instead of searching for already discussed threads or repeating the same information.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Agreed. Having a battery sticky would be beneficial for everyone.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I nominate Foxkat as The Grand Poobah of the honorable order of Battery Power Conservators, master of battery salvation, king of power consumption, Guru of energy gauges, All hail Grand Poobah Foxkat!:hail:
I'm going to keep posting on this thread until one of the gracious administrators creates a sticky or sub-forum for us. Pretty please.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
jkaod said:
I nominate Foxkat as The Grand Poobah of the honorable order of Battery Power Conservators, master of battery salvation, king of power consumption, Guru of energy gauges, All hail Grand Poobah Foxkat!:hail:
I'm going to keep posting on this thread until one of the gracious administrators creates a sticky or sub-forum for us. Pretty please.

The potentate of the battery thread/sub forum. :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!!

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I copied the following from a thread titled "overcharging" in this forum. It's just a small sample of the infinite wisdom that has been passed on by Foxkat. Search these forums young parkschr and you will find great treasures of knowledge as you seek to become one with your battery. Hopefully very soon we'll have a sticky thread dedicated to the proper care and feeding of batteries for everyone to be able to bask in light of pure knowledge.

From Foxcat:
A phenomenon known as a "parasitic load" is created when charging the phone while the power is on. This causes the metering system to become confused as to what the actual power in the battery is and how much current the battery is drawing during charge versus how much is the phone actually using at the same time. Over time, this causes the meter to become out of sync with the battery and can result in either indication of levels that are less or more than actual, and can even result in phones that will not respond to a charger at some point. Fortunately if the phone is powered off when charging, the parasitic load isn't there, AND it also corrects the error in charge level reporting by the meter...if you practice "safe charging" as I indicate below.

To minimize meter error by "training" the meter to the true capacity of your individual battery you should practice "safe charging" about every 2-3 months. Follow these steps and you'll be fine;

1. Next opportunity when you won't need the phone for several hours, power the phone off (press power and hold until the menu, then choose "Power off".)
  2. Now, plug the phone into the stock Motorola wall adapter that came with the phone and using the stock Motorola cable.
  3. The phone will self-boot into "Charge Only" mode (and a large animated battery will appear on the screen).
  4. Allow the phone to charge uninterrupted for at least 3 hours, or until it indicates 100% (to check, press either VOLUME button briefly and the display will awaken).
  5. Once the phone has reached 100%, you can remove it from the charger, power it up and use normally, but do not charge again until the phone reaches the "Low battery" warning at 15%.
  6. Once the phone has reported "Low battery", repeat steps 1 thru 4.
  7. After the 2nd full charge, you can use and charge the phone as you normally would until the next 2-3 month "safe charge"

So in short, every 2-3 months, charge with power off to 100%, use to 15%, charge to 100% with power off, and then you are practicing "safe charging".

Also, avoid allowing the phone to discharge to 0% (self-power down), under any circumstances, and if it should power down on its own due to a depleted battery, get it onto a charger as soon as humanly possible to prevent deep-discharging the battery and suffering "white light of death", "bootlooping", or other depleted battery problems.

Good luck!

parkschr

Reaction score
I copied the following from a thread titled "overcharging" in this forum. It's just a small sample of the infinite wisdom that has been passed on by Foxkat. Search these forums young parkschr and you will find great treasures of knowledge as you seek to become one with your battery. Hopefully very soon we'll have a sticky thread dedicated to the proper care and feeding of batteries for everyone to be able to bask in light of pure knowledge.

From Foxcat:
A phenomenon known as a "parasitic load" is created when charging the phone while the power is on. This causes the metering system to become confused as to what the actual power in the battery is and how much current the battery is drawing during charge versus how much is the phone actually using at the same time. Over time, this causes the meter to become out of sync with the battery and can result in either indication of levels that are less or more than actual, and can even result in phones that will not respond to a charger at some point. Fortunately if the phone is powered off when charging, the parasitic load isn't there, AND it also corrects the error in charge level reporting by the meter...if you practice "safe charging" as I indicate below.

To minimize meter error by "training" the meter to the true capacity of your individual battery you should practice "safe charging" about every 2-3 months. Follow these steps and you'll be fine;

1. Next opportunity when you won't need the phone for several hours, power the phone off (press power and hold until the menu, then choose "Power off".)
  2. Now, plug the phone into the stock Motorola wall adapter that came with the phone and using the stock Motorola cable.
  3. The phone will self-boot into "Charge Only" mode (and a large animated battery will appear on the screen).
  4. Allow the phone to charge uninterrupted for at least 3 hours, or until it indicates 100% (to check, press either VOLUME button briefly and the display will awaken).
  5. Once the phone has reached 100%, you can remove it from the charger, power it up and use normally, but do not charge again until the phone reaches the "Low battery" warning at 15%.
  6. Once the phone has reported "Low battery", repeat steps 1 thru 4.
  7. After the 2nd full charge, you can use and charge the phone as you normally would until the next 2-3 month "safe charge"

So in short, every 2-3 months, charge with power off to 100%, use to 15%, charge to 100% with power off, and then you are practicing "safe charging".

Also, avoid allowing the phone to discharge to 0% (self-power down), under any circumstances, and if it should power down on its own due to a depleted battery, get it onto a charger as soon as humanly possible to prevent deep-discharging the battery and suffering "white light of death", "bootlooping", or other depleted battery problems.

Good luck!

Thank you so much. I appreciate the info and will use it wisely.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
parkschr said:
Thank you so much. I appreciate the info and will use it wisely.

Check your inbox. :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!!

yaterml

Reaction score
jkaod said:
Foxkat, Foxkat, he's our man, if he can't do it, no one can!!
I agree. We need an easily found sticky for battery help.

Although Foxkat has insurmountable amount of knowledge about batteries to say no one can is harsh. I as well as a small amount of people have posted extremely helpful and informational post on that are of the li-ion and li-po battery, there upkeep and there maintenance. As well as charger, replacement batteries and maxxing the Maxx. But to bring all this collective knowledge to one post would threaten to destroy the forum if not the known universe. Wait nevermind its for the good of humanity lets big red it and charge for access to it, or just force them to lock it in a boot at the office. Sounds good.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
We are going to get one up for you guys!! Stand by!!