cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Basically the Padfone with enough guts to run full blown Windows
That would be pretty awesome. To be honest, I would not be surprised if they are already well into development on a project like that. It just makes sense and more importantly it would increase/speed up ones productivity exponentially. Excellent idea/concept Kodiak

As I mention in other threads, I bought the Galaxy Note 2 in November 2012 specifically because it was so perfect that it would take me out of the hugely expensive "gotta have the next upgrade" cycle. And so far, it has. There are some great phones out there, but nothing has been compelling.
I don't even know now what it would take to get me excited about a new phone like I was for the Droid. The thing about the Droid is that it combined so many features that I didn't even know could exist in a phone. So maybe that's what I'm waiting for: someone to throw out something from left field, something we don't or can't see coming. I don't know: a thin, light, slab of glass or transparent aluminum that's also a smartphone?
But simple or even cumulative upgrades in speed, screen resolution, camera, etc? Nope, not interested.

The compelling feature of the Note 2 is that I basically have to carry only one device now, and I've got a tablet, a phone, a camera, a handheld gaming unit, an mp3 player, a radio, a gps, a voice recorder, web browser, etc. The only thing more compelling than that would be to have all that functionality without carrying anything at all: some sort of "Minority Report" style floating screen that couldn't be stolen or damaged by falls or water. I'd get really, Droid-level excited about that!
I bolded your comment that is spot on. That's what I'm talking about as well. Blow us away, surprise us, introduce a true game changing piece of hardware. Easier said than done? :) Ya never know though. I'm hoping...

Jackseric

Reaction score
I want something to come along that I have to have out of nothing but pure and sheer desire. When the Motorola Droid was announced, I had to have it. It wasn't a 'ho-hum this will be a cool phone maybe I should buy it' type of thing, I would have done nearly anything to get one. I did say nearly folks :) I'm crazy but not that crazy.

I think you get where I'm coming from. I do feel something is going to break. With Sammy and Google getting all warm and fuzzy, Lenovo snatching up Moto and MSFT slowing forging ahead, I feel a sense that things are going to change. What that change is, I don't know, but I'm not counting out anyone.

I can tell you right now what it is you're looking for. I would just about sell body parts for this particular idea to become reality! Have you seen the remake of Total Recall with Colin Farrell in it? The implanted phone that you can just hold your hand up to your ear is incredible. Want to read messages or video chat? Just touch your hand to a glass surface for a huge display. Freaking incredible idea!

Total Recall Phone 1.jpgTotal Recall Phone 2.jpgTotal Recall Phone 3.jpg

It may be closer than you'd think!

:gotmyvote:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
like it a transformer laptop that run window 8 while the phone and tablet run android.

That's really close. But ideally everything would be housed in the phone. The problem is, even the 22nm cpu's from Intel probably suffer a heat/ventilation problem in the phone for intensive PC tasks. Perhaps the 14nm will be the ticket, but those appear to be at least a year away (and add at least another year to be affordable to the mass market)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
On a related note, I'm still pretty satisfied with my Rezound. But I have a lot of apps and widgets, and I've noticed that apps are taking more and more ram (as they presumably add features) to the point where I'm finding 1gig of ram an issue. However, I will not buy a phone with only 2gigs of ram just so I can have that become an issue in another 12-18 months.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I can tell you right now what it is you're looking for. I would just about sell body parts for this particular idea to become reality! Have you seen the remake of Total Recall with Colin Farrell in it? The implanted phone that you can just hold your hand up to your ear is incredible. Want to read messages or video chat? Just touch your hand to a glass surface for a huge display. Freaking incredible idea!

View attachment 69545View attachment 69546View attachment 69547

It may be closer than you'd think!

:gotmyvote:
there ya go! :) Here's some other concepts. the first one is from the movie Real Steal. It's actually a Nokia Concept phone,

Nokia_Prototype_Real_Steel_2.jpg

transparent_phone_131337229911.jpg

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's really close. But ideally everything would be housed in the phone. The problem is, even the 22nm cpu's from Intel probably suffer a heat/ventilation problem in the phone for intensive PC tasks. Perhaps the 14nm will be the ticket, but those appear to be at least a year away (and add at least another year to be affordable to the mass market)

True. Unless they could find way to put the software in the tablet port and the phone just authenticates so you do not have to say log into you windows sign in every time. Basically the phone holds the android software the tablet portion hold both android and windows (which we know is capable because asus have a tablet that dual boots windows and android) and when you connect the phone to the tablet and dock you have the option to dual boot into windows 8.

27508__asus-td300la-600x337.png

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
True. Unless they could find way to put the software in the tablet port and the phone just authenticates so you do not have to say log into you windows sign in every time.

Yeah, but I'm saying both Android and Windows software/hardware on the phone. Then you just add cheap dummy peripherals (tablet, monitor, attachable BT keyboard, etc...), some of which might also have additional battery capacity. Just think about the possibilities - any coffee shop, airplane or kiosk could provide cheap "work stations" that people just attach their phone to and it becomes a portable office.

I suppose another direction is why stop at the phone? A USB stick with all the hardware (sans display, obviously) like the one posted earlier could be the future. Think padfone tablet concept only shrunk to down to the smartphone, where you slide out some sort of module (the "guts") to transform some other device and leaving you with basically a feature phone.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Yeah, but I'm saying both Android and Windows software/hardware on the phone. Then you just add cheap dummy peripherals (tablet, monitor, attachable BT keyboard, etc...), some of which might also have additional battery capacity. Just think about the possibilities - any coffee shop, airplane or kiosk could provide cheap "work stations" that people just attach their phone to and it becomes a portable office.
now THAT would be pretty incredible. A 3-in-1 would truly be disruptive technology.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I suppose another direction is why stop at the phone? A USB stick with all the hardware (sans display, obviously) like the one posted earlier could be the future. Think padfone tablet concept only shrunk to down to the smartphone, where you slide out some sort of module (the "guts") to transform some other device and leaving you with basically a feature phone.

Very good point and we are not that far from that concept I think. Apple with the mini has brought their os down to a small box.
mac-mini2.jpg

Chrome is down to a usb stick. Yeah if we could get windows down to a usb stick or if chrome os could evolve to an os that could provide the power of say mountain lion (mac pro software) or windows 8 it could change how we do business. If I could say plug in my windows 8 usb port in to my transformer (or other android tablet) and run Windows that would be worth it. But yeah the other issue would be whether or not the tablet could handle a windows 8 or a mountain lion. Actually we could probably throw apple out of this conversation because I do not see them wanting to play ball with the idea of a device running apple software that wasn't made by apple.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Chrome is down to a usb stick.

If you just think about the guts of a phone, which the Note 4 will (or could be) very close to mid-tier laptop specs (something comparable to a Haswell i5, 4gigs of ram, and say 128gigs of storage)...basically make that a plug-n-play cartridge sans display.

Then, for the most part, upgrades (for your phone, tablet AND computer) involve mainly getting a new, compatible cartridge. Like I said, I think the 15nm tech will be the key, not just because of reduced power consumption but heat generation might be very manageable (at least with some tiny fans and vents).

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Ehhh, that's not quite enterprise level power/quality yet. I have no idea how these compare to laptop CPU's, but 2gigs ram is more than on the light side for running full-blown Windows/Office. And the storage is a bit lacking, too (Windows takes like 60gigs by itself).

It is interesting, though, as these are considerably cheaper than laptops/desktops and would be a very affordable and upgradeable solution. But I think the "3-in-1" smartphone is the future because, like the laptop, it will go home with you. A second, separate device is really not a game changer, although it may find it's niche because of flexibility and affordability. Asus Padfone is closer to that reality than this thing.

I'd consider that stick, though, if I didn't have surround sound speakers (thus I've disabled my flatscreen's speakers). Maybe some day if I decide to upgrade my receiver something like this or that chrome stick might become part of my system.

That's here too. Consider the Intel NUC, $295 gets you a windows full ready device, you can upgrade the RAM to 16GB, has a 4th gen Core i5 processor to output 4K with HD Graphics 5000 on a 4in square device.

Boom.

Also I run windows 7 on a 2006 HP laptop with 2gig RAM with no issues.