Way to force droid 4 into offical vehicle / car mode? NOT A3rd party carmode.

gossipninja

Reaction score
Is there a way to force the d4 into cardock mode without a car dock.

I am looking to launch the OFFICIAL OEM car / vehicle dock app not a 3rd party app. I don't like car home ultra or any of those.

I only want to find out how to launch the same exact dock app that launches when the droid 4 is in the official car dock.

Thanks

LT*

Reaction score
If you use Launcher Pro, I believe you can use long press home screen>shortcuts>activities>Car Dock>smartmode...Name it whatever you like and hit ok. You'll have a shortcut to the the OEM car dock.

You don't have to actually use LP for your home screen to do this. As long as it's installed, activities will show up in the shortcut menu.

Last edited:

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Not sure about the D4, but some other droids used magnets to switch between desktop clock & car mode. The only difference was the polarity. One used one side of the magnet for one mode, & another for the other mode.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

OP
G

gossipninja

Reaction score
well i know in /system/apps there is a "smartcarhome.apk" but I cannot activate it, i ended up pushing the stock google carhome.apk to the /system/apps, and so now I have a carhome button.

I also installed razrdock.apk which trips the desktop dock mode.

schatzy62

Reaction score
Not sure about the D4, but some other droids used magnets to switch between desktop clock & car mode. The only difference was the polarity. One used one side of the magnet for one mode, & another for the other mode.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS
The D4 and Razr phones do NOT use magnets to set them into car/home/desk mode it is now all done by a small circuit board in the dock and uses the USB connection to tell it which dock it is in. It has been reported ( i have not tested to verify) that it even knows which dock it is in I.E. the Desk Dock next to the bed or the desk dock on your office desk. If that is truly the case then there must be some kind of data transfer or something between the dock and the phone for it to know which one it is docked to.

desertknit

Reaction score
To CJM
Bless you for the info about the Polarity of the magnet! I love my Droid2, but the cardock was driving me crazy.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2