Way to enlarge font??!!

paisley

Reaction score
Hope I am posting this in the correct place. I am new to these forums. Here is what I need information on:

I am currently using a Blackberry Curve but want to get the Droid 2 when it comes out however, I hear & read that you cannot enlarge the font on the Droid. Of course I have read about Spare Parts, etc. but not everyone thinks those apps are great or that they even work. I also use aol email and have read that people have problems with that. Before I buy the Droid 2, I want to know for sure, is there an app that can be downloaded to enlarge the font in email and text messages, and is aol email compatible with the Droid 2? Is there an icon for aol email or do you have to go through aol.com to retrieve your email?? Help please! Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope I am posting this in the correct place. I am new to these forums. Here is what I need information on:

I am currently using a Blackberry Curve but want to get the Droid 2 when it comes out however, I hear & read that you cannot enlarge the font on the Droid. Of course I have read about Spare Parts, etc. but not everyone thinks those apps are great or that they even work. I also use aol email and have read that people have problems with that. Before I buy the Droid 2, I want to know for sure, is there an app that can be downloaded to enlarge the font in email and text messages, and is aol email compatible with the Droid 2? Is there an icon for aol email or do you have to go through aol.com to retrieve your email?? Help please! Thanks!

Well, I'm 57 years old. I wear bifocals and have terrible vision. I use to have the Blackberry Storm 1 and 2. I can see the Droid just fine.

I've seen this question asked quite a few times. It's difficult to say whether or not it will be hard for you but there is a whole bunch of us who don't have an issue at all.

How will it work for you? Depends on your eye sight I suppose but if I can see it and you can't then maybe a trip to the optometrist may be in order. ;)

There is a message text adjustment, large and small. I took a look at an email with it on large and quite honestly I don't know if it was that much different then medium.

As far as the internet goes, Droid has pinch and zoom so that shouldn't be an issue at all for you.

This is a Google phone. That's important to remember. All your contacts, your calendar are backed up by Google. You can set the Droid up so that your AOL mail is delivered to your Droid. I would suggest that if you don't have a Google account you get one and set up your gmail to have your AOL mail sent there.

Overview - Gmail Help

No, there is no icon for AOL mail.

I'm answering your questions all based upon the Droid, the Droid 2 may have additional viewing features.

Your biggest battle I can tell right now will be making the adjustment from Blackberry to Droid. It was mine, but I knew instantly that the Droid was a far superior phone then the Blackberry, and quite honestly the Curve is really bad. My wife use to have one. She now has a Droid. She says she has no difficulty reading the phone.

Keep in mind you have 30 days to try it out. If you're not happy return it for a Blackberry. And they do have a new touch screen phone coming out soon, I think it's called the Torch. Suppose to be a pretty nice phone.

OP
P

paisley

Reaction score
quote]

Well, I'm 57 years old. I wear bifocals and have terrible vision. I use to have the Blackberry Storm 1 and 2. I can see the Droid just fine.

I've seen this question asked quite a few times. It's difficult to say whether or not it will be hard for you but there is a whole bunch of us who don't have an issue at all.

How will it work for you? Depends on your eye sight I suppose but if I can see it and you can't then maybe a trip to the optometrist may be in order. ;)

There is a message text adjustment, large and small. I took a look at an email with it on large and quite honestly I don't know if it was that much different then medium.

As far as the internet goes, Droid has pinch and zoom so that shouldn't be an issue at all for you.

This is a Google phone. That's important to remember. All your contacts, your calendar are backed up by Google. You can set the Droid up so that your AOL mail is delivered to your Droid. I would suggest that if you don't have a Google account you get one and set up your gmail to have your AOL mail sent there.

Overview - Gmail Help

No, there is no icon for AOL mail.

I'm answering your questions all based upon the Droid, the Droid 2 may have additional viewing features.

Your biggest battle I can tell right now will be making the adjustment from Blackberry to Droid. It was mine, but I knew instantly that the Droid was a far superior phone then the Blackberry, and quite honestly the Curve is really bad. My wife use to have one. She now has a Droid. She says she has no difficulty reading the phone.

Keep in mind you have 30 days to try it out. If you're not happy return it for a Blackberry. And they do have a new touch screen phone coming out soon, I think it's called the Torch. Suppose to be a pretty nice phone.

Thanks for your info. I can see fine on my Blackberry and I have checked out the Droid a couple of times and there is no way to enlarge the font or even bold it. I do have glasses for reading (very slight correction) but like many, many people have mentioned, we don't usually need them for reading our email and text messages. I don't want to take them on and off to read an email or a text message, that would be a hassle.

As for gmail, I am in a large group that emails each other and replies "to all" and that would be another hassle because if it's forwarded to my gmail account, when I need to "reply to all" I would have to take my name out and copy and paste their addresses in.

I am aware of pinch and zoom, so that part doesn't concern me. There is a petition of sorts to get google to do something about the font issue. It's not just a few of us, it's more like thousands. Some bought the Droid and took it back and went back to their BB's. Others have downloaded various apps, some with success, others with no success or it defaulting automatically to the original font each time.

I think I might have to look into some other type of phone, or wait for the rumored iphone for Verizon in January.

Continued advice is still appreciated though!