WaveSecure

cheewee

Reaction score
My experience was that the unlock/lock feature via their website does nto work well. When trying to use the website to lock my phone, it usually took a long time for the phone to actually lock. Sometimes it wouldn't lock until the phone was restarted. By the time the phone actually locks, the person who stole it will have already gotten any information he needed.

Hi SwordOfWar,
For the server/website to communicate with the WaveSecure software on your phone, SMS commands have to be issued. While we do what we can to ensure the reliability of the service, unfortunately, we can't do much with regard to the time taken for the SMS reaches your phone. It really depends on the telco and their SMS gateway.

That said, I believe the team is looking at improving this by sending SMS commands via local SMS gateways. Hopefully, this will address the issue of timing and also reduce cost for the users (since most users need to pay for international SMSes).

Also, WaveSecure is a monthly subscription for other phones, and as soon as this comes out of BETA it will almost certainly cost money. So because its not working good (terrible issues and delays with remote operations) and because they plan on locking me out unless I pay them money in the future, I uninstalled this thing.
Yes, WaveSecure requires a monthly subscription as it not just a software client but a mobile security service with a server backend. In addition to SIM tracking and lock, there are data backup, remote SIM and location tracking etc. Hence, the subscription model.

That said, Android users who download the software and activate the service before 31 Jan 2010 will get a lifetime WaveSecure subscription for as long as they use that Android device.

I also noticed you can't backup your videos online through the website. You can only backup videos using the app on the phone. What good does that do me if the phone is stolen?
Will pass this feedback to our development team. If you have more feedback or comments, feel free to tell us here.

So yeah, don't be surprised if one day you go to login and it tells you to pay some hefty subscription.

Rest assured that any company that has good business sense would not do this as it will generate a lot of bad publicity. :)

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
That said, I believe the team is looking at improving this by sending SMS commands via local SMS gateways. Hopefully, this will address the issue of timing and also reduce cost for the users (since most users need to pay for international SMSes).

Are the WaveSecure users in the US getting international SMSes and therefore incurring higher international SMS costs ??

Edit: I just checked my account and see I have recieved 4 International Texts, I guess that answers my question :-(

cheewee

Reaction score
I also noticed you can't backup your videos online through the website. You can only backup videos using the app on the phone. What good does that do me if the phone is stolen?

Hi SwordOfWar,
According to the development team, they decided not to implement media from the web because of reliability and cost concerns.

Firstly, media backup works by the selection of images and videos that you want uploaded. It is done this way since the resulting filesize could be very large. This will result in the backup process being unreliable over 3G/GPRS networks. Plus, most users might not have a data plan to accommodate such volume and that could also result in an expensive mobile bills.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Are the WaveSecure users in the US getting international SMSes and therefore incurring higher international SMS costs ??

Edit: I just checked my account and see I have recieved 4 International Texts, I guess that answers my question :-(
Awwww, son of a B&^&^*) - I just checked my account and I have 8 international text messages since I installed this program. Has a lot of potential but I don't recall reading the fine print about sending international text messages to the phone. This is getting uninstalled and going to use Mobile Defense - the one that PC Magazine just reviewed. It has some enhancements coming but if they're not using international text messages will use that and help beta test the program. I am so upset right now I can't believe it - I know it's only $1.60 but dang it!!!!!!!!!

rlandon

Reaction score
What of the messages sent to my buddies on the notification list, those are international also?? A message is cheap to get the phone back, but should be a warning prior to entry of the contact.

Not sure my friends liked getting woke up to a text message this late at night while setting up the program.

It does seem to work well on the droid.

The Yixman

Reaction score
Its a great application for locking and wiping your phone, but I would use Google to backup your information. If you go to the devs website, you will see that your data is backed up to China. Nothing against the Chinese, but I don't want my data there.

Hi KCW,

Thank you for your feedback. Our team would like to address two specific issues so that perhaps we can develop some clarity on WaveSecure.

Firstly, WaveSecure is a company based in Singapore. Originally developed for enterprise users, we come from a position which greatly values security and privacy of our users and believe that being a small but fast-growing company it is bad form to get negative publicity for data violations.

Secondly, our data is backed up and stored in USA with Rackspace, so hope that addresses the rumors that we're an evil foreign corporation intent on world domination.:icon_ devil:

Warmest Regards,
The Yixman
Team WaveSecure

cheewee

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just to clarify, the client on your phone won't send text messages unless a new SIM is inserted.

Unfortunately, there is no way for the server to issue commands to your phone, except via text messages. That said, you can choose not to trigger them until your phone is misplaced or stolen. This way, you won't get charged.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

Ken Adair

Reaction score
Hi Vulcan1600Rider,

Mobile Defense is a company based in the United States. Our service will continue to be free and you'll never have to worry about international SMS costs. In addition, if you install the current version of Mobile Defense as a system app it can auto-enable Wireless/GPS location providers as needed and even prevent users from uninstalling the application. You can also manage up to 5 phones at once, even tracking them simultaneously. We have many more exciting features on the way!

Privacy and security are absolute priorities for Mobile Defense. Our team leverages a background in mobile banking, implementing the same best practices and encryption used by the financial industry. We believe that the keys to success are engaging our users early and often. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve Mobile Defense, please let us know via the Suggestions forum (Mobile Defense).

Best Regards,

Ken Adair
Mobile Defense
https://www.mobiledefense.com

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Vulcan1600Rider,

Mobile Defense is a company based in the United States. Our service will continue to be free and you'll never have to worry about international SMS costs. In addition, if you install the current version of Mobile Defense as a system app it can auto-enable Wireless/GPS location providers as needed and even prevent users from uninstalling the application. You can also manage up to 5 phones at once, even tracking them simultaneously. We have many more exciting features on the way!

Privacy and security are absolute priorities for Mobile Defense. Our team leverages a background in mobile banking, implementing the same best practices and encryption used by the financial industry. We believe that the keys to success are engaging our users early and often. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve Mobile Defense, please let us know via the Suggestions forum (Mobile Defense).

Best Regards,

Ken Adair
Mobile Defense
Ken - thanks for the nice note. I will install Mobile Defense today based on your note to me in here. Thanks again!

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried it and honestly having it scan files AFTER you download them seemed a bit silly and it takes up system resources...

Hi Vulcan1600Rider,

Best Regards,

Ken Adair
Mobile Defense

BostonBill

Reaction score
So I tried wavesecure and got some unwanted international texts. Then it identified my cell phone as a landline. Now it says my pin is invalid.

Now I try Mobile Defense because "no international texts". Just domestic ones whenever I test out "connect to phone". Oh yeah it also keeps the GPS on until you disconnect.

Ken Adair

Reaction score
I tried it and honestly having it scan files AFTER you download them seemed a bit silly and it takes up system resources...

Hi SSHGuru, are you possibly thinking of a different application? Mobile Defense doesn't scan any files, nor does it take up any system resources unless in use.

Best Regards,

Ken Adair
Mobile Defense

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mobile Defense

Ah you are correct I was mixing it up with another application. I just took a look and you have great reviews and I am downloading it now.

Thanks.

Hi SSHGuru, are you possibly thinking of a different application? Mobile Defense doesn't scan any files, nor does it take up any system resources unless in use.

Best Regards,

Ken Adair
Mobile Defense

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I downloaded it and got a few SMS messages which were a bit annoying. (I don't have unlimited). Also it was unable to find the phone which is unusual because I have both GPS and Wi-Fi always on and every other application can find the phone instantly.

Please advise.