wavesecure/mobile defense/lookout

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know there has been a lot of discussion previously about these products, but I also know they've all done lots of updates over the last couple of months and I haven't seen any recent discussions about the pros and cons of each. So, I'll ask - pros and cons of each? :)

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I had been using WaveSecure since day one, but recently my wife noticed unsolicited overseas SMS messages and charges on our bill from the last few weeks. During this period neither of us had done anything with WaveSecure (country code matched previous WaveSecure sms). She told me that Verizon blocked the SMS number and credited our account. I instantly deleted WaveSecure from both phones, just not worth the hassle anymore.

I did try Mobile Defense a while back and noticied negative issues and uninstalled.

Haven't tried Lookout, I am pretty much over all of those type apps.

Never lost a phone in my life and hoping I never do. Due to how much I like my Droid I keep up with it at all times...as long as I don't get drunk in a bar and leave it there I think I will be OK :)

<fingers crossed>

FLE

Reaction score
I use Itag and look out. I like lookout due to it backs up data and is a free anti-virus software. lookout also has the ability to locate your misssing device. I really do not think I need an anti-virus as I only down load apps from the market and I did not enable my phone to do apps that are "non market apps" Like all of the other location,anti-virus ect. software it has a home page so you can log in and edit things. I like itag due to I can remotely lock the key pad back up files , preform a delete or ring my phone and locate the missing device via GPS web. At one time I had mobile defense on my phone but it took sometimes day for the devs to reply to questions I had when I got my new droid and the main computer would not take my new ESN, I tried in vain to get help with this problem and never got any. However It is a good program. With it you also can lock the key pad locate misssing device via Web GPS and also have the phone sound an annoying siren to help locate the phone. As others here will say its mainly preff in what is right for you. As you know what works for me may not be right for you. All three of the programs are free. My suggestionis try them all, it will cost you nothing but a bit of your time. I am sure that other programs are in the market free or for a nominal fee. I have found that most things in the market are reasonably priced. The aforementioned programs even allow you to send sms to the device if you do not readily have a computer ready and these programs allow you to execute some of the commands. IE sounding a siren or locking the device. They all have diffrent pros and cons or what I think they are so I can not really say what is a pro or con to me would be the same for you.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I use Wavesecure and never see any international texts other than the ones I initiate.
Great program with backup (contacts/sms) remote lock and erase.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use Wavesecure and never see any international texts other than the ones I initiate.

Same here. Being a belt and suspenders kinda guy I also use Mobile Defense. Have had no issues with either of them. And since I pay for every text message I receive, I'm sure I would have noticed an unauthorized text message.

RichStevenson

Reaction score
I received an email from WaveSecure that included mention of their US gateway trial so we eventually will not be using international texts.

[FONT=&quot]US Gateway Live Trial Is On! [/FONT]
seperator01.gif

[FONT=&quot]Soon, WaveSecure users in US will no longer be charged for international texts! We've set up our US gateway and trials are underway. You can help with testing (even if you are not from US) so we can go live earlier. Email your country, carrirer and mobile number to [email protected] for details![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
nl-us-sms.png
[/FONT]​

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I received an email from WaveSecure that included mention of their US gateway trial so we eventually will not be using international texts.

uhhhhh, OK... here is a post on here from January 14th.....

cheewee,

have you switched to us texts for the us users yet? I know it is not really that big of a deal i just remember you saying that was in the works or being considered.

Btw, what exactly is "sms command pin" ? Sounds familiar, but it is not registering in my memory banks :)

hi 928droid,
there should be no international text charges for wavesecure users in the us now.

To answer your question on sms command pin, aside from using a computer to send commands to your phone remotely, you can use any other cell phone to do so.

For example, to lock your phone, send a message with "secure lock <pin>" to the current phone.

thanks for getting back to me, great news about the us sms..

Original post/thread ... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/6030-wavesecure-11.html#post145892

SlyHusky

Reaction score
Check out SmrtGuard...

had it on my Storm and loved it (one of the only few I actually kept on there).

I guess they updated with android support in Beta version. Don't know yet if it is out of Beta but worth a go. I bought the year subscription for my Storm so I am not sure if it is free. I just switched my device on their website.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Both my husband and I have lookout. I have not had any complaints or problems with it. My husband constantly is loosing his keys so I have a feeling it is only a matter of time before he misplaces his droid. Lookout says it will use the GPS and find your phone. Hopefully I never really need it but its a nice feature. Not to mention it backups your contacts and pictures so you can access them if needed. Yes I know the contacts are also backed up on google but I like the second level of backups.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

I haven't had any problems either.

As you said 'the ones you initiate', is it possible 928/928's wife attempted locating it sent a text to them?

There is another thread that has been going off and on from Dec(I think), about wavesecure and mobiledefense.

I'm not sure if the servers have been changed for wavesecure yet, but that's something they could look into.