WaterproofGate: Samsung's Galaxy S7 Active fails Consumer Reports tests

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
17501-15082-Screen-Shot-2016-07-08-at-124646-PM-l.jpg

According to an AP report, Consumer Reports director of electronics testing Maria Rerecich noted that she was surprised the model failed, but purchased two models and repeated the test.

"We bought two and they both failed," Rerecich stated. "We bought two and they both failed" - Consumer Reports

After submerging the device, the report cited Consumer Reports as observing the Galaxy's "screen flashed green and other colors and didn't respond to touch."

Tests by Square Trade involving two non-Active Galaxy S7 models (the regular S7 and S7 Edge) found that while they "survived" immersion, they were left with "audio permanently muffled and distorted."

In other tests of "breakability," Samsung's Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge models alternatively failed face down drop tests and case bending tests, resulting in overall scores that were effectively tied with Apple's iPhone 6s and 6s Plus models, despite the later not being certified for water immersion and therefore failing water tests.

17501-15084-Screen-Shot-2016-07-08-at-123617-PM-l.jpg

Consumer Reports

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Where are the test results for the active?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wow, the S7 and S7 Edge passed but NOT the active? Man that's embarrassing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
That is definitely surprising that the model that's supposed to be the rugged, "everything-proof" model is failing at one fairly important test....meanwhile, it's lesser counterparts pass the test just fine.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
That is definitely surprising that the model that's supposed to be the rugged, "everything-proof" model is failing at one fairly important test....meanwhile, it's lesser counterparts pass the test just fine.
It all depends if it was assembled properly..

jplemt

Reaction score
Can we not use the -gate pseudo suffix to describe "scandals"? The Watergate scandal was not a scandal over water, but occurred in the Watergate hotel. But, back on topic, I have yet to treat my S7 edge in water, but my wife drop tests here daily and it's holding up. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState