Waterproof Kyocera Hydro Elite Officially Announced by Verizon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kyocera-Hydro-Elite-Verizon-launched.jpg

It looks like the Moto X will have some company when launching on Big Red tomorrow. Verizon just officially announced the new mid-range family friendly device the Kyocera Hydro Elite. This phone has some decent specs, but its main claim to fame is water resistance. The phone will be available on VZW starting tomorrow, August 29th for just $99.99 on a new contract.

Here's a list of specs:

• Android Jelly Bean (version 4.1)
  • 4.3 inch HD (1280 x 720) display
  • LTE connectivity
  • Smart Sonic Receiver technology (“making the phone audible even in the noisiest environments”)
  • Touch-and-Send NFC sharing
  • Dual-core 1.5GHz processor
  • 8MP rear camera
  • 1.3MP front-facing camera
  • 2,100 mAh battery
  • Wireless charging capabilities
Here's a video promo for the device below. It's kinda cheesy but has some mild entertainment value.

[video=youtube;y551VFuO-a4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y551VFuO-a4&feature=player_detailpage[/video]​

Here's the Verizon press release source link: Kyocera Hydro ELITE - Hydro ELITE by Kyocera

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looks like an attractive phone. Nothing about it makes me want to hate on it.

jspradling7

Reaction score
Sumo Belly-flop!!! :icon_ lala:

It's amazing how fast tech is advancing. A year ago those were top of the line spec's.

Incredibilly

Reaction score
It's a bit of an upgrade from my T-bolt...so there's that. And it fits the niche the S4 Active would fill if VZW and Sammy could truly play nice.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
This is only $350 off contract. It seems to me that it should be free with 2 year contract. At $100 that's only a $250 subsidy. Sort of a rip-off to me. Even the free phones have a $300 minimum subsidy.

Incredibilly

Reaction score
Good point. A not so expensive middle ground device... helpful if you need to upgrade more than one handset on your plan at a time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TatDroid

Reaction score
It is an interesting, inexpensive off-contract option. One downside is that you might be on Android 4.1 for the life of the phone.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Best Buy just added it to their Verizon phones for $50 on contract, either new or upgrade. Since I have one of the $50 BB upgrade rebates available, that would make it free if I decide to get it. Going to VZW and BB to see if either have it on display.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Verizon already dropped the price on contract to $50 only 12 or so hours after listing it for sale at $100. I wonder what that means. Perhaps just to compete with BB? The local Verizon store had the Moto X on display (but not for sale yet), but not the Hydro.

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
A good /BETTER alternative TO THE G’zOne Commando FOR LESS. I would not hesitate to take this with me while Snowmobiling and using it those winter-wet conditions. We will see what the user reviews bring.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this in a Verizon store yet? I checked 2 days ago and they didn't have it yet. The rep told me he had never heard of the phone. I guess they keep them up to date????? I told him that Verizon has been selling it for nearly 2 weeks now and walked out.

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
Has anyone seen this in a Verizon store yet? I checked 2 days ago and they didn't have it yet. The rep told me he had never heard of the phone. I guess they keep them up to date????? I told him that Verizon has been selling it for nearly 2 weeks now and walked out.
================================================

I was in the Totowa NJ store ..Monday ..just wanted to check it out. Politely inquired. = Room full of clueless ..blank stares.Ended up explaining and showing it to the manager via MY VZW. She told me that VZW always had Kyocera smart phones. No . Simply..pathetic