Water Damage?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by faeryfyre, Dec 31, 2011.

1. faeryfyre

faeryfyre New Member

So, I dropped my phone in the [clean!] toilet a few days ago... oops. Left it in rice for around 36 hours, then took it out, wiped off the rice residue and turned it on. Everything works fine - I received texts, calls, was able to lock/unlock and change volume, notification light, charging; everything except for that the display doesn't work. I can feel the mini vibrations from selecting apps and though accidentally I was able to call my brother without seeing what I was doing... I figure there's probably water under the screen or something. Now my brother told me way back when he broke his Blackberry Curve by leaving it out in the snow, but was able to take the sides off and drain the water after leaving it in rice, which caused the screen to work again. Is there something like this I can do (I believe I'm perfectly able to unscrew the front band around the screen?) or do I need a new phone completely?
  2. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

This sounds like the digitizer is bad. This is something that some people have changed out. You'd just have to find the right part. Otherwise, I say the phone won't work again :frown:
  3. faeryfyre

faeryfyre New Member

All the touch functions seem to work, only the screen is black.
  4. CJM

From all the problems I've seen about this, it's always been a bad digitizer that was the cause. Wish I could find some similar posts about what you're talking about. But they are in this forum somewhere.
  5. faeryfyre

faeryfyre New Member

Okay, I'll try replacing it, thank you :)
  6. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Well-Known Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Wouldn't it be a bad LCD? The digitizer is working fine. That is the glass, the part that "digitizes" the actions made on the screen. :). The LCD isn't working since nothing is getting displayed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  7. faeryfyre

faeryfyre New Member

Can I replace the LCD?
  8. CJM

You could be right. But every post I've seen about feeling the haptic feedback & not being able to see the screen has been about a bad digitizer.

Faeryfyre,

If there's a place that fixes cellphones around you, you could take it in & ask them. The should be able to order the parts, perform the work & give you an estimate.
  9. Magnava

Magnava New Member

My Washing Machine Story

When I purchased my Samsung Galaxy S II just four months ago I skipped the insurance because of my good fortune with all the previous phones. I've always been overly self conscious with my phone until to my horror I found it in the bottom of the washer after the cycle was over. It soaked in a full load of laundry for two and a half hours before activating the cycle. After the final spin cycle the laundry stayed in the washer for most of the day until I returned and dumped it in the dryer. I literally let out an involuntary scream when taking out the last bit of clothing and found the phone lying in the bottom. At this moment it had been six hours after being dumped in the water. After the heart attack I quickly went online in search of any salvaging possibilities and came upon this discussion. I quickly removed the battery and unscrewed the six micro screws exposing the internal guts, placed a hair dryer on low at about 12 to 14 inches from the phone so as to keep it as warm as when exposed to the sun on a hot day. Before going to bed after three hours of blowing warm air I set it on top of a living room lamp by placing a kitchen counter wire rack on top of the shade at a distance of about six inches from the light bulb, which kept it almost as warm as the hair dryer. At noon the following day I reassembled it and got the second greatest shock of all - IT WORKED !!!!!!!!! IT WOOOOOOORRRKED !!!!!!!!! What is this? After my boss dropped his smart phone last year in two inches of water while jumping from his boat to the shore, it stopped permanently and had to buy a new one, I gave myself no chance of ever salvaging this one but it was simply a extreme pessimistic shot in the dark. I have been sending emails and texts and surfing the web, sounding the alarms, playing music and placing phone calls as a way to pinch myself into reality. The only thing of concern was that it did not work after turning it on. But after five minutes of charging it showed a full charge. That was a bit strange. I thought I needed to replace the battery but after continuously playing music for an hour it is still fully charged and playing with full force. It must have been fully charged when it took its plunge, I'm not sure yet. SAMSUNG you impressed me! I'm floored but I have one clean phone and rejoicing. Thank you!:icon_ lala:
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  10. bruben7886

bruben7886 New Member

Dang magnava...... one heck of a story! Glad it worked. Maybe the rapid, INTELLIGENT, drying minimized the possibility of corrosion formation.
  11. biggdave92

biggdave92 New Member

i dropped my maxx in the toilet a couple months back. after i dropped it, i thought to myself "well, i'm gonna finish pizzin and get it out after i flush". It was submerged for a good 20-30 seconds. Took it out, let it drip dry (20 minutes), turned it on, and it works perfectly to this day. i am impressed.
Search tags for this page
android fusion 2 water damage
android screen discolored after water damage
does water damage digitizer

droid incredible 2 water damage

droid incredible 4 water damage
droid water damage
how to detect water damage on droid incredible 2
how+to+fix+droid+incredible+2+water damage
htc incredible 2 water damage screen dont work
htc incredible 4g screen black water damage
repair lcd screen on my droid from water damage