Water Damage

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by AngelOfAnger, Oct 29, 2011.

  1. AngelOfAnger
    Offline

    AngelOfAnger New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2010
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    So I woke up this morning to find out that somebody had spilled something on me while I was sleeping. Of course they managed to nail my phone in the process and so it was soaked when I woke up. I have it soaking in some isopropyl alcohol right now to displace the water. Have any of you had something like this happen? Were you able to revive your phone afterwards?
  2. adamwhitehead
    Offline

    adamwhitehead New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2011
    Messages:
    317
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Did you try to power it up? That's a no no, I have seen success stories with people letting the phone set in dry rice (hairdryers are bad too) I believe the time I saw was 48 hours. I've never had to do it but I hope I can help

    Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  3. AngelOfAnger
    Offline

    AngelOfAnger New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2010
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I did try an power it up as I was still a little out of it when I got up. However, I think my battery might have died at some point. I'm hoping that I'm fortunate enough for that to be the case. lol....
  4. NoBloatware
    Offline

    NoBloatware New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2011
    Messages:
    746
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Remove the battery immediately. Do not try to turn it on. Do not charge it.

    I have revived a Droid and a couple other devices. You will read about many methods. Here's what I do:
    1) if it got wet with anything besides plain water, it is a good idea to rinse/dilute it. Careful with alcohol. It can corrode. I would only slosh the phone in the purest alcohol for a few seconds. Distilled water is my preferred solution. Just slosh the phone (minus battery of course) in a bowl of it.
    2) put the phone in a sock and twirl the thing like mad. Don't let go! This will get rid of much of the water
    3) use a hair dryer. You have to be careful and keep the dryer about 18 inches from the phone. Even doing this the phone will start to get hot after about 10 minutes. Keep your hand involved and turn off the dryer if you feel that the phone needs to cool. Use the dryer on the phone for 45 minutes at least, being careful not to overheat the phone. Eventually, all of the moisture will have no recourse but to evaporate. This is the scary part. Have you been patient and dried it long enough without melting the phone? When you are confident that this is done, put in the battery and connect the charger.
  5. AngelOfAnger
    Offline

    AngelOfAnger New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2010
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I'm doing the sock thing right now. It's working like a charm! I'm going to try and get ahold of a blow dryer at some point today. We'll see. I let it soak for a few in 91% isopropyl, so hopefully that displaced any water and whatever else that was in there.
  6. Heywood
    Offline

    Heywood New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2011
    Messages:
    262
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    PDX
    Hope you can bring it back:)


    On a side note...sounds like it was a great Fri night;)
  7. AngelOfAnger
    Offline

    AngelOfAnger New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2010
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Well after soaking it in rubbing alcohol, using the sock method described above to dry it out, as well as a blow dryer. I can now say that I have a working phone again. I got it to turn on, but upon booting up I noticed some more liquid behind the screen. So I turned it back off and I'm gonna let it dry. It works though! I was able to send a text or two as well as mess around with the screen for a minute to make sure the capacitive awesomeness still worked. But yeah, it was an interesting night to say the least. Walked home to a friends house. Passed out there. Woke up and had my semi walk of shame back home still in costume. hahaha
  8. adamwhitehead
    Offline

    adamwhitehead New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2011
    Messages:
    317
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Passed out? Lol epic. You sure ''someone spilled'' something on your pants?
    glad to see you got it working

    Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  9. AngelOfAnger
    Offline

    AngelOfAnger New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2010
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    lol well I smelled it and it wasn't piss, so there are two options. 1: I got up to get water and totally failed at it, or 2: somebody thought my costume wasn't wet enough haha...It was from my shirt all the way down to my socks. XD
Search tags for this page
can i soak my galaxy s4 in 91 percent isopropyl alcohol
,
droid razr not turning on from water damage
,
droid x in hot water
,

droid x water damage

,
i spilled water in my motorola droid razr
,
i spilled water on my droid razr
,
putting droid incredible in oven to get rid of moisture
,
spilld water on droid razr m
,
spilled piss on my phone
,

spilled water on droid x

,
spilled water on my android razr
,
spilled water on my android, how long does it take to dry?
,
spilled water on phone but no damage
,
what should i do if water spills on my droid razr x
,

what to do if you spill water on your droid