Water and New Phone

fixitman123

Reaction score
My wifes new razr maxx, not even a week old, fell out of her pocket book into the yard and was rained on :mad: Phone is dead.
We didn't purchase insurance. Does anyone know if I have a period of time to purchase insurance and if that would work to get a new phone or am I just stuck and have to purchase a new one outright.
What would you do if you were in my shoes?

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Let he phone dry out for a few days and then try it again. Quite a few phones have been brought back from the dead that way.

robert70

Reaction score
Put the phone in a bag of rice, " uncooked" leave it In there for a day or two, then take a hair dryer set on low and warm the phone, I have used this method in the past and it has worked, however the Maxx with its built in battery is a whole new ballgame, do not try to turn it on again until you have done everything you can to dry it out, let us know if this helps.

Sent from under the umbrella.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
1st Question: You have 30 days to add insurance. However, you must be able to make a at least one phone call after adding the insurance in order for insurance to become valid. The key to water accidents is to NEVER turn the device on! The rice thing kinda works, but a better method are those clothes drawer mildew preventor baggies that really absorb moisture. Put the phone in a baggie with 2 of those. The Razr has nano particle coating that is suppose to protect against a spill. Guess its not much help with a drench.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

robert70

Reaction score
Good call Keep, I didn't even think about those. They might even work better with the Maxx.

tennvol

Reaction score
Your credit card might cover damage protection. My amex platinum covers me for 90 days then extends the warranty 1 year

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
F

fixitman123

Reaction score
Great News

We let the phone dry out for 4 days sitting on top of the stereo receiver and tried turning it on and no-go. Plugged in charger and she charged and worked like it should. Can't believe it, but am so happy. Thanks for the advice:icon_ banana:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I have a period of time to purchase insurance and if that would work to get a new phone or am I just stuck and have to purchase a new one outright.
What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Technically speaking, insurance doesnt cover anything that happens BEFORE you purchase it. That said, yeah, you might be able to get away with purchasing it after the fact.

However water damage does not mean the phone is fried. On the contrary, phones will survive even full immersion MOST of the time. It is unusual for water damage to permanently fry a phone.

Take the phone, remove the battery, and immerse it in a bowl of (DRY) rice and then put it somewhere cool and dry for 48 hours. It should work after that. A friend of mine did this with his LG Optimus and it worked fine (and his was actually fully submerged). The moisture is just shorting it out...once the water is gone, it should work normally again.

How to Save a Wet Cell Phone: 12 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow

EDIT - LOL! Didnt see the last post. Glad it worked out.

megaman33

Reaction score
I'm surprised so many people know about the bag of rice trick! It has been a foolproof plan for me for years now. A college buddy of mine first told me about it when I dropped my phone in the tub. Do you all still cook the rice after doing that though? :p Hope not! :) Especially if your phone fell in the toilet.... :blink:

xtor

Reaction score
I added ins to my razr to months after i got it, as long as you haven't notified vzw about it yet you can add ins, wait a couple wks and claim it, there might be a 30 day wait before you can claim?, not sure

my razr's sharper then yours ™