Watching Android 4.1 named Jelly Bean

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just played with Jellybean and honestly I think that if you can run ICS you will get (official or unofficial) JellyBean. It's not a big enough improvement over ICS and there is little/no additional overhead. Except for maybe the offline maps/voice recognition.

Coupe

Reaction score
Off line maps, thats kinda a big deal.

I think the odds are better of getting JB on a new Blackberry before we get anything on the Rez, I am starting to doubt VZW will even give us ICS.

nikecar

Reaction score
unfortunately we will not get the jelly bean upgrade,hopefully we will all meet on here next year with a new HTC device,and will be talking about anticapating it.
and I bet even that phone won't have ICS.

Off line maps, thats kinda a big deal.

I think the odds are better of getting JB on a new Blackberry before we get anything on the Rez, I am starting to doubt VZW will even give us ICS.
Offline Maps was annoucned by Google at their maps event. Its not a JB only feature, but rather an update to their maps. i wager we all should see it soon.

EDIT: I just went into Maps to see if the feature was enabled, and it wasn't. Then I saw the icon for updates available, and lo and behold, v6.9.0 on Jun27th has listed under What's New: Save Maps for use Offline

It works.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Um...why is everyone saying the Rezound will not get JB? HTC has not announced anything, and the Rezound is comparable to the Galaxy Nexus in specs. And significantly BETTER than the Nexus S! LOL

I think it is a little premature to make sweeping predictions of doom, don't you?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
If Im not mistaken, isnt this the entire reason the "Nexus" phone exists. To be 1 step ahead of the rest? I can sorta understand where you are coming from. Also you had the choice to pick up a Nexus around the same time the Rezound came out. Looks like (arguably) its not the best overall phone.

Actually I think it exists in an attempt to be bloat/corporation free, which was a pretty clear fail. It was just easier to put a buggy ICS on there instead of developing GB for it then updating it later down the road. Has nothing to do with being ahead.

Personally I'd much rather have a reliable Gingerbread than a buggy ICS. I may get burned at the stake for this but I don't see what the big deal is over ICS. Not saying it isn't going to be awesome and is full of great features, but people make GB out to be like it's trash and they can't wait to get rid of it.....why? Cause it doesn't have facial recognition? It's amazing how impatient we are in this culture. This is very noticeable when driving (at least in Atlanta). Granted we have been repeatedly told about getting an update and then having it torn from our fingers, but it's not like I'm currently miserable with my device. I love how it's the same people who talk about how the Rezound is the best phone on VZW who are the ones complaining about not having ICS. Focus more on the first part of that mindset and it'll make the second part that much better.

As for JB, looks good. While I doubt we'll get an official release (look at all the phones NOT getting ICS, it seems to have nothing to do with specs but coding AND, probably more importantly, contracting), there will undoubtedly be several JB ROMS. So just take a deep breath in, make some iced tea, sit back and relax. It's actually quite nice when you get the hang of it :happy3:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
and I bet even that phone won't have ICS.

Offline Maps was annoucned by Google at their maps event. Its not a JB only feature, but rather an update to their maps. i wager we all should see it soon.

EDIT: I just went into Maps to see if the feature was enabled, and it wasn't. Then I saw the icon for updates available, and lo and behold, v6.9.0 on Jun27th has listed under What's New: Save Maps for use Offline

It works.

It auto updated on my Galaxy Tab last night and Rezound this morning.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Stupid question, but is this different than cacheing maps? I thought they started doing that a while back.

svdroiddude

Reaction score
Stupid question, but is this different than cacheing maps? I thought they started doing that a while back.

Yes it is different. The map cacheing was for routes....it would continue navigating even if you lost a data signal....but as soon as that route is done no more map. With the off line maps, you draw a rectangle area and it saves what seems to be pretty much everything...at least roads and features. The external links wont be there but without data you can't use those anyway. It IS pretty cool!! I am going into remote Montana tomorrow with no data at all so this will allow me to still have maps! :)