Watch tv online with Aereo

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Oct 22, 2013.

1. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

[​IMG]

At $8 a month, in a few select markets, and with only a few select channels it is obviously a work in progress. With that said I will be keeping my eyes on this one. If they can some how get nfl network and my local sports channels as well as a google chrome app that will make paying the $8 a month much easier as well as making it easier to part ways with my local cable company. For now it is something that will need more backing and channels.

https://aereo.com/about
    1 person likes this.
  2. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

I just read an article on this. I had to chuckle when they said the major cable providers are working hard to shut this app down. I hope the courts continue to rule in Aereo's favor.
    3 people like this.
  3. leeshor

leeshor DF Super Moderator Staff Member

All the major networks have sued the company, starting in New York, so far, no success.
  4. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

So, Aero says, "let's pay for cable, connect a DVR to it, and allow access to the DVR from the internet".

OK.

Then they said, "let's call the DVR on the internet 'the cloud'".

OK

Then they said, "hey, let's share what we have done, and allow others to connect to our 'cloud' to watch TV, and charge a nominal fee".

I say, "Genius".

Screw the cable companies. I want to watch TV on my own terms. I pay through the roof (to the cable company) for Internet only.

Why should the networks care, if their broadcasts are still being viewed, with commercials and all? They will still be making money.
  5. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

I haven't read this current article, but what I understand from what I've read previously it's not exactly the "pay for cable, hook it to an online DVR, make available on the web" process that Akhenax describes above. I believe they are only distributing local, over-the-air broadcasts (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, etc.). The legal justification is that for each and every subscriber they have a tiny digital antenna (in a warehouse somewhere) and they are then making those local, over the air broadcasts available to their subscribers on the Internet.
  6. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

I can see your point. This is not cable, but Over the Air TV. The Aereo website states,

• No more rushing home for kick-off! Tune into the game from your mobile device. Pause and rewind so you don't miss a thing. Then switch to the big screen when you get home.
    • Save your favorite shows for later. Aereo includes a remote DVR. Schedule recordings from your phone and watch later on your computer or TV.
    Also, I was basing my post on this image:

[​IMG]
  7. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

Exactly. This is one more piece of the replace-your-cable-tv-subscription puzzle. One thing missing from the Hulus, Netflixes, and other online options is your local network sports and news. Enter Aereo to solve that problem.

The Comcasts and Cox Cables of the world are obviously not happy with this.
  8. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Exactly. But I think the cable companies saw this coming hence the bundling. Like how can you tell me getting high speed internet alone is more expensive than if I add a cable tv package?

But it is what the cable companies are doing to try and keep people subscribing.
  9. Caren4u2

Caren4u2 New Member

I think this idea is being squelched big time. I received an email just the other day from the CEO stating they are having to put everything on hold and refund everyone's latest payment. They lost in a court battle on being able to use a cloud based Antenna. Will they be able to pull out of this "hold" remains to be seen.