Watch Out! Many Third Party Nexus 6P Cases Block The Auto Focus Laser!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The new Nexus devices were released just a few days ago, however case manufacturers have been preparing their cases for months now. Some of these guys must have jumped the gun on their designs. As it turns out many third party Nexus 6p cases actually block the invisible auto focus laser that is hidden just to the right of the flash. Google's official cases have a camera cutout that extends a good bit past the focus to make room for the focus sensor.

If you are using a case with this design flaw you may find that your camera is unusable. A few days back we posted a Verus deal on some cases that were on sale for $2 each. This may be the reason they were on sale! For $2 you might decide you can live without your focus. Just be careful when buying cases for this device.

via AndroidPolice

Thanks "Jonny Kansas" for the heads up!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just glad I saw the news elsewhere before I managed to order any cases and/or the phone. Wouldn't want another Note 4 mic situation with cases. Happy to share the fair warning.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
... A few days back we posted a Verus deal on some cases that were on sale for $2 each. This may be the reason they were on sale! For $2 you might decide you can live without your focus. Just be careful when buying cases for this device.

via AndroidPolice

I too have an exacto knife & a Dremel ... and since I only paid $2.00 for it, won't bother me a bit if I have to "Mod" it....

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. I used an exacto and my drill to fix the first Spigen case I got for the Note 4. I paid more than a couple bucks for it, but not a big deal.

I was actually thinking about the 6P last night though. I think I'm sold on getting the aluminum version instead of my usual black/charcoal/graphite/whatever that I like to get. I'm hoping slick wraps or someone will come out with just a clear skin so I can flaunt it. Looks like a little robot with that black bar. :D

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm feeling the aluminum myself. Not sure if I'll go a case right away. I've had to fix a couple of my cases as well because the charging port didn't quite line up with the opening.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
As much as I complain that manufacturers are going needlessly thing with these devices when they could be adding bigger batteries and such, I've really enjoyed how slim my Note 4 is without a case lately. It's especially nice when I'm at work and have it in my pocket while wearing slacks. It's not such a big deal in jeans, but I still find it more comfortable to have in my pocket all day without a case.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have never been able to "Roll Nekkid"! Too much $$$$ invested in these things to take the chance... especially when I get the dropsies from time to time. Heck, I probably won't even turn it on, till it's got a screen protector.

Just a little OCD I guess.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I can't stand a screen protector. I trust the Gorilla Glass. My mom likes to put on a screen protector and leave it on there until it's so gross and scratched and collecting dust around the edges that you can't even get a good look at the screen. What're you protecting it for? So you can use it later? Enjoy the crispness of the screen NOW!

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com

The new Nexus devices were released just a few days ago, however case manufacturers have been preparing their cases for months now. Some of these guys must have jumped the gun on their designs. As it turns out many third party Nexus 6p cases actually block the invisible auto focus laser that is hidden just to the right of the flash. Google's official cases have a camera cutout that extends a good bit past the focus to make room for the focus sensor.

If you are using a case with this design flaw you may find that your camera is unusable. A few days back we posted a Verus deal on some cases that were on sale for $2 each. This may be the reason they were on sale! For $2 you might decide you can live without your focus. Just be careful when buying cases for this device.

via AndroidPolice

Versus had been contacted on many posts over at amazon and they state the picture was wrong and the cases do have the hole for the auto focus laser. The picture has now been changed on amazon.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I can't stand a screen protector. I trust the Gorilla Glass. My mom likes to put on a screen protector and leave it on there until it's so gross and scratched and collecting dust around the edges that you can't even get a good look at the screen. What're you protecting it for? So you can use it later? Enjoy the crispness of the screen NOW!

:eek: - I tend to keep 'em around for a VERY long time, still have my Note II! - And I still have the original screen protector on it, that's not in terrible shape - even though I just discovered the package with the other 2 in the kitchen junk drawer.

Maybe I'll put a new one on, when the P6 shows up, just so she don't get too jealous.

But ya know, the bestest thing about ANDROID phones, is we can all have it the way WE want.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Amen! Now, I've gotta decide if I really want to rock this thing nekkid right outta the gate. I tend to spend just a couple/few days with no case, then put one on, then go back and forth for a while lately, but I almost never used to keep a case on my phone. Sure, I get the dropsies like anyone else, but I'm really not very hard on phones at all. I gave my cousin my old Galaxy Nexus back in May. It had been one of 2 spares I had for quite a while. He's already destroyed it. :(

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I'm pretty careful with my devices, but I still like to have some protection. I seek out the most form-fitting, minimal cases that I can find for my phones, and I usually get screen protectors too. I don't know if I constantly have sand in my pockets or what, but my screens always get micro scratches if I don't have a screen protector, and those really irk me, even if they are hard to see most of the time.

The last phone I ran naked was my Note 2, which I had for like 2 years or more probably. It fared quite well until one fateful day in the movie theater, I had it sitting in the cup holder and it tipped right out of it on its own, right down to the concrete floor. And that is the story of how I cracked my first and only smartphone screen to date, and it wasn't even really my own doing.

Hopefully there are some nice form-fitting/minimal cases put out for this phone, but I won't mind running it without one for a few weeks, as long as I have a screen protector on it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You did better than I did if you made it to the Note II without a crack. I did so with my OG Droid. That was the first and (so far) last smartphone screen I ever cracked.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got the $2.00 deal and if it blocks the laser, I'll fix it.
Anyway, I like slim cases but I just can't roll naked. I also use tempered glass screen protectors.
While I haven't busted a screen, I have cracks a few protectors. SO with no protection the screen would have been at least scratched. The $6 paid for the protectors is worth the money.