Watch Out Amazon, Here Comes YouTube Messenger!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
youtube-messaging.jpg

In an effort to maintain its user base and add value, YouTube has created an in-app messenger that is being rolled out to a small amount of users.
Product manager Shimrit Ben-Yair, said "they created the feature, because her team believes it would result to even more sharing".

Messages will remain in a separate tab that can be accessed anytime. It gives people a quick way to send a message or share a link to an individual or a whole group of people.

This could be a way for YouTube to ensure users are spending more time on its website and an effort to squash current and upcoming [Amazon] rivals. In addition, it could cut out the middleman, mainly other chat and messenger app.

Only a lucky few are getting in-app messaging today, those who do get it can spread the feature further by inviting friends and contacts to chat. If you get the update or an invite, let us know below.

Source: Wired

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I hope parents of kids who are allowed to use YouTube can block this feature. YouTube comments can be a cesspool and kids do not need to be a part of that stuff. I mean, I hope parents monitor what their kids are doing now on YouTube too.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Randi Zuckerberg, Facebook's marketing director, said, "I think anonymity on the Internet has to go away… People behave a lot better when they have their real names down. … I think people hide behind anonymity and they feel like they can say whatever they want behind closed doors."

Real names or not, having a messaging app would allow for better tracking measures in place for any comments that are not "good natured". Definitely an NSA friendly update.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Awesome. I've always wanted to get those random posts of racism and bad grammar sent directly to me!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk