Was there an update lastnight????

WRXtra

Reaction score
So I've searched and seen that we will NOT be getting an update as the phone will be fazed out soon.

However when I woke up this morning and checked my phone I had all kinds of new stuff and everything was changed.

If we are not getting an update, than what happened to my phone?

warrior21

Reaction score
Are you talking about the 2.1 update? We've known that was coming for a while and where did you hear the droid was being fazed out? The droid isn't going anywhere anytime soon
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

droidman101

Reaction score
So I've searched and seen that we will NOT be getting an update as the phone will be fazed out soon.

However when I woke up this morning and checked my phone I had all kinds of new stuff and everything was changed.

If we are not getting an update, than what happened to my phone?

Like what new stuff? If there was an update it would have prompted you to update, but wouldn't update itself.

JCo352

Reaction score
Are you talking about the 2.1 update? We've known that was coming for a while and where did you hear the droid was being fazed out? The droid isn't going anywhere anytime soon

He has an eris

droidman101

Reaction score

He's talking about eris

warrior21

Reaction score
Are you talking about the 2.1 update? We've known that was coming for a while and where did you hear the droid was being fazed out? The droid isn't

He's talking about eris
Sorry about that, misunderstood

hedney3

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
the Eris is getting fazed out so to speak. its being replaced with the HTC incredible.
back to your update. your phone shouldn't have just updated. overnight without you knowing about it so this is odd

Andr0id

Reaction score
I read from one of the feeds in my reader, the story that the Eris was reaching it's "End of Life"(I believe that was the term) in May 2010. I emailed verizon yesterday and got a response this morning stating:

Dear xxxxxx,

Good morning. At this time, our records does not indicate that the HTC Droid Eris will be discontinued in May 2010. I wanted to speak with you personally to discuss this matter, however; it was too early to call you when I received your e-mail at 9:29 am. My name is Javona and below I have provided you with additional information regarding your questions and concerns.

If the HTC Droid was to be discontinued, software updates would be continue as scheduled. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience, however; I cannot provide you with a date that software updates considered or approximate release dates, as this may raise expectations that may not be met. Please understand that Customer Service is not provided with this information before hand. Once software is available for your device, you will receive a message advising of new software.

If the device was discontinued, and you were required to file an insurance claim, this would not be handled by Verizon Wireless, your claim would be processed directly through the third party insurance company Asurion. You may contact Asurion directly at 888-881-2622 to discuss substitution devices.

Mr. xxxxx, providing each and every customer with the highest standards in customer service is my pleasure. I hope that I was able to show you that you are a valued customer and that your business is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Javona

Verizon Wireless

Customer Service

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.

In my original email I asked if it was going to be discontinued, what would happen regarding updates if it did, what would happen if I needed a replacement, and when is 2.1. I don't ever believe Verizon's customer service, but take it as you will. Sorry for the rushed, sloppy email.

Andr0id

Reaction score
Well as I was typing my previous post I received yet another email. After I got the original response, I asked that I be directed to someone who could answer my questions more thoroughly. Anyway, its not much but i got:

Dear XXXXXXX,

I am very sorry that we are unable to provide information regarding the newer software version. My name is Shana and it will be my pleasure to assist you with this matter.

Mr. XXXXX, I have forwarded your email to our Leadership Team. You will be contacted within 24 hours to address your concerns.

Thank you again for your email. We appreciate your business and thank you for being the most important part of Verizon Wireless. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,

Shana

Verizon Wireless

Customer Service

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.

Blah Blah. I was thinking of installing 2.1 tonight as I am sick of my phone being gimped by a sub par OS, but now maybe I will wait and see. I don't know why as I'm sure Im not going to get any answers. I'm just scared I'm going to brick my phone, or be stuck with a buggy version :unsure:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the 2.1 update? We've known that was coming for a while and where did you hear the droid was being fazed out? The droid isn't

He's talking about eris
Sorry about that, misunderstood

You'd think a senior mod would know the difference between the MotoDroid board and the Eris board. :) Oh wait, you are a Yankees fan so everything is about YOU! :wink:

(I thought with the start of the season, a little baseball jab was in order!)

OP
WRXtra

WRXtra

Reaction score
Sorry for the late update, I haven't really been able to go through all of the phone yet but all my bookmarks were gone and replaced with all new ones about 10 or so of websites I've never visited.

A few websites I've checked look different from when they did not 12 hours earlier. No one messes with my phone so nothing was physically changed in fact I was on my phone just before it went on the charger and I went to bed.

Not sure what happened over night but I woke up to a new phone

xliderider

Reaction score
Just check your About screen under Settings. If the firmware is 2.1, then you got the update, but as mentioned previously, your phone does not upgrade software without your approval.