Was rooted, updated, now can't root or un-root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by MatthewHSE, Jun 8, 2011.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. MatthewHSE

MatthewHSE New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used z4root to root my DroidX while on 2.2. I ran the OTA update to 2.3.3 (without unrooting first) and lost root as I expected. Got back into z4root and am now unable to get any of the root options (permanent, temporary or un-root) to work. Each freezes at a different point. I've tried letting it run (half an hour at least; sometimes overnight) and it never completes. Have tried pulling the battery after it has been stuck for awhile; no success. Have also tried various versions of z4 without any results other than that they stop working at different points. Have tried pretty much every combination of the above without success. So, what are my options now for getting root back, ideally without having to lose my apps and data? Thanks in advance, Matthew
  2. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Ratings:
    +17
    There should be a manual way to root but just thinking out loud, is z4root even compatible with that version of android on your device..?
  3. Eugeni0us

Eugeni0us New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When you update you are unable to root ands teamblackhat is on the job I believe. You are running gingerbread right?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  4. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah z4root doesnt work on gingerbread afaik. you may have luck with gingerbreak to get root but i'm not totally sure.
  5. MatthewHSE

MatthewHSE New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately Gingerbreak didn't work for me (even after a factory reset) so I'm trying the instructions shown here. Hope it works, as I'm missing a lot of stuff I used to really enjoy!
  6. MatthewHSE

MatthewHSE New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update: That worked, although I had to rename BlurContactsSync.apk afterwards to fix the "constant-sync-icon" problem and to be able to view my contacts. Otherwise all is well and I love Gingerbread so far!
Search tags for this page

z4root doesn't unroot