Was curios

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by frostthejack, Nov 8, 2010.

1. frostthejack

frostthejack New Member

Well I just switched from windows to ubuntu and I was wondering what every one uses to edit xml's, theme, build apps, edit apps, build roms.

And any tips or advice you might have for some one new to ubuntu.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  2. frostthejack

frostthejack New Member

55 views and no comments lol.
  3. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Not everyone uses Linux (actually it is probably still in the minority even in an Android community). Also not every one would know how to answer your question. Random or unhelpful comments saying "I don't know. 10chars", "Dual boot/install Windows/use some emulator....etc", "LetMeGoogleThatForYou", or someone just making a guess would leave you right where you are anyhow.

In this case, I don't use Linux as my OS to tinker with my phone, but I would imagine people building themes with Linux use a lot of the same tools that Windows/Mac users use. Something like Apk Manager 4.9 - Makes Modifying Ur Apk A Breeze (Windows/Linux) - xda-developers <-- should work for you. Then basically all you would need is a text editor and image editor, which shouldn't be too tough to find.

Build an app.... Android SDK | Android Developers Again same thing Windows/Mac users would use. Maybe some people have some different tools they like to use as well, but still the SDK should suffice.

To build ROMs from source you would have to use Linux actually (or at least I am pretty sure you would). There are multiple guides on how to build a ROM from source, create a custom kernel, and that sort of thing. Compile CyanogenMod for Sholes - CyanogenMod Wiki There are tons of other guides out there on various things, you just kinda need to search around for them, or specifically ask what you are looking for. xda-developers <-- those forums are fantastic for phone based stuff.