Was Best Buy wrong to ask a customer to return the Galaxy Nexus?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by Preach2k, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Was Best Buy wrong to ask a customer to return the Galaxy Nexus?

Source
    What do you guys think about this and what would you do in his situation?
  2. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

No they weren't wrong to ask him to return it, employee made an honest mistake and now is probably facing the consequences of doing so. I think just as important a question is, was the customer wrong for refusing to return it? I am undecided either way to an extent but I personally would have returned the phone with no expectations of anything but a full refund.
  3. Preach2k

Mistake or not he paid for it it is his!!!! It is up to him if he wants to give it back or not. They can not force him to give it back.
    2 people like this.
  4. Liderc

Liderc New Member

They aren't forcing him to return it, they simply asked him if he would.
  5. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

Best Buy wasn't wrong to ask for it back, and the buyer wasn't wrong for refusing it.
    3 people like this.
  6. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

They can ask, but it is his phone now. I personally would return it and expect to get the first one sold on release day though.
    1 person likes this.
  7. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

im sure its verizon making best buy do that
  8. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Has this story been proven real?

I ask because some of it doesn't make sense. Like how this guy is supposedly the ONLY person to have gotten the call. In addition there are some things that just aren't adding up.
  9. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

The amount i dont care about this is very high right now, yet i still read the whole article.

2 days needs to pass...

Think about this- Tomorrow is release day eve!
    and this- Today is the eve of the eve!
  10. Preach2k

This is the Original Post from AC...

11. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

+1

It was a legit sale, although it originally wasn't supposed to happen. So the guy got it a couple days...weeks...or maybe months ahead, point is he bought it as an item the store was selling. Was he wrong when refusing to return it? No not at all, especially if the store was refusing to work with him to honoring their mistake. As a customer our time is valuable, and when we come back to the store upon request we expect a little bit of reimbursement in this situation. Had they given him a "holdover" phone and store credit there I honestly think he would've returned it as it was a mistake by the store, but by not working with the customer, well he owns one of the few nexus now. Lucky son of a gun...
  12. busab

busab New Member

They must not of wanted it back that bad if that wouldn't even offer him a discount or a measly little gift card for his troubles.

It would be a cold day in hell before I returned a phone under those terms. I would tell them if they want it back all they have to do is click the "buy it now" icon on eBay for $1500.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    2 people like this.
  13. captclueless

captclueless New Member

If they guranteed that the employee would get in NO trouble if I returned it, I would.
    If the couldn't, I would keep it.
    2 people like this.
  14. lemodular

lemodular New Member

^^^ Exactly what I wanted to say
  15. ice456789

ice456789 New Member

Apparently my thoughts on this topic in the other thread set off a bit of a firestorm, so I'll address them here. This is what I said:
    Just to be clear I am NOT the guy who got the phone, but I will be responding as if it had happened to me.

First off, someone said I may be breaking laws. Not so. No law is broken when I post pictures of a phone that I bought lawfully and give you the location, contact information, and name of the manager on duty of the store I bought it from. Realize I'm not giving away the manager's personal contact information, I'm giving the info of the store. Not even close to being slanderous or libelous. Any judge would throw that case right out of court, it has no merit.

Secondly, someone said Verizon could just 'blacklist' the phone. No, they could not. They cannot choose to cancel my service or disable my phone unless I have broken their terms of service which I have not. I legally purchased a phone that was legally sold to me, and legally activated it on Verizon. In this case I, the customer, has done absolutely nothing wrong. Best Buy has broken their terms of sale with Verizon by selling the phone before they were supposed to. I had no agreement with Verizon to wait until it was officially released before I bought it. I did not break any law or agreement by purchasing the phone therefor Verizon has absolutely no right to do anything to my service. In fact if Verizon DID 'blacklist' the phone they would have broken our agreement. At the very least I would no longer be held to any service agreement I was under, but I would likely sue them for breaking the agreement and disabling a phone I purchased legally. And I would win easily if it came to court, which it would not. They would settle out of court to save lawyer fees.

Thirdly, this is not blackmail or extortion. My agreement with Best Buy was completed once the phone, money, and receipt exchanged hands. I have absolutely NO reason to return the phone. They have no legal standing to force me to return it. Therefor if they want me to drive back to the store to give back the awesome phone, they will have to give me a reason. No one is hurt by my keeping it (see below), but I am hurt by giving it up. Having the GN now is something of a special beast. No one else has it. You cannot buy the GN for Verizon right now at any price. That is worth something to me. They will have to convince me financially to bring it back. Best Buy is a business, and this is a business transaction. If the GM of that BB store doesn't want it splashed all over the internet where I bought the phone from, then he will do what he can to convince me to bring the phone back. If it's not worth anything to him, then I would just go forward with my plan to post videos of the phone so you all could see it, and in those videos mention where I got it.

Fourthly, my action at this point will not save anyone's jobs. If the person were going to be fired for selling the phone, my returning it will not change that. It's pretty apparent that the salesperson did not mistakenly sell the phone because of the 99999999 serial #. He probably lost his job. His manager at the very least got chewed out and probably written up. The store GM probably also got chewed out. This one transaction puts into jeopardy the entire relationship between Best Buy and Verizon. If I were that person's manager I would fire them immediately and hope that my boss didn't fire me as well. I've been a retail sales manager and general store manager and I've fired plenty of people for plenty of things, and that is certainly a termination level offense. I don't care if the customer brought the phone back or not, that guy would be gone.

Fifthly, I want to point out that I never said I would put the manager's address, personal phone number, or any of that garbage online. My video would be walk-throughs of the phone on Verizon with some accessories and I would start the video by saying "This the the Verizon Galaxy Nexus I purchased from the Best Buy on X street. Their manager Mr. X was there when I bought it, I suggest you call him at (store phone number) to ask if you can get one too!"

Finally, yeah it's Christmas. I'm a generous guy. But I'm not generous when a company asks me to bring something back that I really love and they have no right to. If they want me to go out of my way to downgrade my phone for a week or two, they have to make it worth my while. If they don't (as it seems they haven't) then that's fine. I'm happy with my new phone. And from their point of view they probably didn't offer him anything because the damage has already been done. Whether he returns it or not probably doesn't mean anything to them now. I certainly don't feel like I'm ruining Christmas by not bringing the phone back.
    1 person likes this.
  16. Felix 222

Felix 222 New Member

I would absolutely NOT return it and, instead, resell for a big profit!

From what I understand, BB is offering the customer no incentive to remedy their own mistake. The customer was a fortunate benefactor of a retail mistake. Keep it!
  17. Liderc

Liderc New Member

That's where you're wrong. Read your contract, Verizon can cancel your service at any time. Considering you're using a phone that they have not authorized to be released to the public, it's no different than a beta tester breaking his NDA, the phone would have to be sent back to them.

Again, you seem to think the customer has the upper hand against Verizon, did you have your lawyer go over your contract when you signed it? No, but Verizon did.
  18. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

All this controversy over a stinking cell phone/electronic device? Lol...what a bunch of weirdos. I'd keep the phone till its released and then go exchange for a new one because of the two burn lines. I'd ask for the manager that was a knucklehead to be the one to service me. And smile and say thank you when he hands me my new gnex
  19. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

I'd give it back..

For full retail price
  20. vtnerd

vtnerd New Member

Sorry, but no.

There is no chance that Verizon could ever force anyone to return a lawfully purchased product (if return could be compelled, Best Buy would have already done it instead of simply asking). Verizon can likely terminate service to said product, but there's no way they can ever require the device be sent back to them because they are not the legal owners of that device anymore. If the Nexus were a leased device what you said would be true as Verizon would still be the owner, but the Nexus (and all cell phones AFAIK) are not leased.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.