Warning: Verizon backup is the devil.

McGyver777

Reaction score
Fresh off my first factory reset I rush here to perhaps save you my fate.

Once you enable Verizon backup on your phone you can not cut it off.

Unless you do a factory reset and never sign up for it.

It is better to import your contacts into your Google gmail by making a file and importing it to your gmail account so all of them are stored on gmail. If you import from Verizon backup and gmail you get half your contacts on gmail and half on Verizon. And constant reminders that you can not update or change contacts not on gmail.

Once started Verizon backup can not be stopped. It will update daily burning data for no good reason. There is no off. There is no opting back out. There is no stopping it without rooting or reset. Stay away! Use the import contacts feature of gmail so all your contacts are stored and backed up where they should be...online on gmail! And you CAN stop that sync/backup anytime you want.

Thank you Google for doing it right.

(F U Verizon for yet again f-ing up a great phone with yet another piece of bloatware that we can not get rid of and burns through our costly data!)

You have been warned, LOL!
McGyver777

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:

Droids

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not going anywhere near Verizon backup or Verizon anything. Contacts, email, text messages (via sms backup +) Google chat, all instantly backed up to my google account. Love them or hate them, google does it much better than Verizon could ever hope too. Kinda like buying a new computer and it has Norton or McAfee on it, utterly useless bloatware that will cause more grief than anything else.

chowyenfats

Reaction score
Fresh off my first factory reset I rush here to perhaps save you my fate.

Once you enable Verizon backup on your phone you can not cut it off.

Unless you do a factory reset and never sign up for it.

It is better to import your contacts into your Google gmail by making a file and importing it to your gmail account so all of them are stored on gmail. If you import from Verizon backup and gmail you get half your contacts on gmail and half on Verizon. And constant reminders that you can not update or change contacts not on gmail.

Once started Verizon backup can not be stopped. It will update daily burning data for no good reason. There is no off. There is no opting back out. There is no stopping it without rooting or reset. Stay away! Use the import contacts feature of gmail so all your contacts are stored and backed up where they should be...online on gmail! And you CAN stop that sync/backup anytime you want.

Thank you Google for doing it right.

(F U Verizon for yet again f-ing up a great phone with yet another piece of bloatware that we can not get rid of and burns through our costly data!)

You have been warned, LOL!
McGyver777

You don't have to do anything spacial to
have contacts added to gmail, does it on it's own.

Natey2

Reaction score
Love them or hate them, google does it much better than Verizon could ever hope too.

Google didn't back up the list of my installed apps (I even logged into Market and verified after I had done a factory reset), so after I did a factory reset, I really had to start from scratch.

Even if it did back up the list of apps, it doesn't restore properly: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=17354

Kinda like buying a new computer and it has Norton or McAfee on it, utterly useless bloatware that will cause more grief than anything else.

I use Norton Internet Security (a couple of years now), and it has caught some serious issues on my PC a couple of times.

Antivirus software on a PC is like insurance. Not everybody wants it, until something bad happens. I suppose there are people out there who have never needed to make an insurance claim, and feel insurance is utterly useless.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

chowyenfats

Reaction score
Google didn't back up the list of my installed apps (I even logged into Market and verified after I had done a factory reset), so after I did a factory reset, I really had to start from scratch.

Even if it did back up the list of apps, it doesn't restore properly: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=17354

I use Norton Internet Security (a couple of years now), and it has caught some serious issues on my PC a couple of times.

Antivirus software on a PC is like insurance. Not everybody wants it, until something bad happens. I suppose there are people out there who have never needed to make an insurance claim, and feel insurance is utterly useless.

That's right, you have to download you're apps again, doesn't reload them for you, just contacts.

rbw62

Reaction score
The new Norton is great, free from comcast. It has saved me a few times. Before you badmouth a product, do some research, instead of personal attacks.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

jayman350

Reaction score
Kinda like buying a new computer and it has Norton or McAfee on it, utterly useless bloatware that will cause more grief than anything else.

except for the fact that you can uninstall all of the preloaded programs that come on a new pc, unlike these phones where you have to root them in order to remove the preloaded crap on there.

Natey2

Reaction score
I have Verizon's Backup Assistant enabled. It backs up new contacts, which I don't add too many of on a daily basis. I don't see this app as a memory, CPU, battery or bandwidth hog.

I believe the gmail only backs up gmail contacts, not phone contacts.
Yes, there are different kinds of contacts on your phone.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I also think Google is better than VBA. And to save contacts to gmail you have to make sure you select "save to *gmail account*" when you add a number. As for the apps, it only backs up purchased apps.

OP
M

McGyver777

Reaction score
I have Verizon's Backup Assistant enabled. It backs up new contacts, which I don't add too many of on a daily basis. I don't see this app as a memory, CPU, battery or bandwidth hog.

Give it time...you will if you pay attention to battery and data specifically.
I believe the gmail only backs up gmail contacts, not phone contacts.

You believe wrong.

Yes, there are different kinds of contacts on your phone.

My ENTIRE point was there should not be. All contacts on gmail account which allows total control of data usage.

Verizon backup will cause so many headaches for anyone using it.

1. Creates two types of contacts, some in Google you can find and update with ease...and Verizon ones which are basically the red headed step children of contacts...
2. Burns data every day with zero way to stop once turned on. Google allows you to choose what is synced...so if you know there are no new contacts cut it off and save that data...no way for Verizon backup to do this.
3. Once in verizon backups grasp you can never get out without factory reset or root. There is no uninstall, no off, no opt out. If a program removes this from your control, its inherently evil by design.
4. You never really know if "everything" is backed up. Google says it is and gives time it did it. For Verizon backup failed more than actually worked.
5. Refer to #3...that just proves it is an imprisoning app that should never be turned on. Use Gmail or face the factory reset at some point to regain control over your data/backups/contacts.

"Thats all I got to say about that."

Last edited: