Warning: Update un-roots phone (Anybody know how to re-root?)

androzza

Reaction score
If your phone is rooted, DON'T install the latest Verizon update! It will un-root your phone.

I'm, unfortunately, speaking from experience. Foolishly, I installed the update, figuring that Verizon would warn me before ruining my ability to run apps that I bought and paid for (like Titanium update). As you now know, I'm now un-rooted.

Has anyone else been able to re-root their phone after installing the update?

cn2661

Reaction score
I hate to say I told you so......

Stock update

I think you also now cannot SBF back to the older version either.
I know that the Droid X folks just found a work around. I think they SBF a European SBF file, root and then are able to flash a ROM.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Not fully true.
You CANNOT flash back to older version if Android Version is substantially different platform (i.e 2.3.x down to 2.2, eg ROM4.6.8 -> 2.26)
You CAN flash back to older version if Android is on the same platform (i.e 2.3.4->2.3.3, e.g 4.7.3->4.6.8)

What exactly I did:
1. Updated to 4.7.3, being unrooted, frustrated.
2. Flash down to 4.6.8 again.
3. Root
4. Install OTA Rootkeeper, save the root file with it.
5. Upgrade back to 4.7.3 (On Air or by update.zip)
6. Restore root with OTA Rootkeeper.

*I swear this would never brick your phone.:biggrin:

tennvol

Reaction score
I used ota root keeper, installed the update, then restored root and it kept root

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

stevexyz

Reaction score
I used ota root keeper, installed the update, then restored root and it kept root

OTA Root Keeper worked for me too. I just used it to backup root, updated to 4.7.3, and it was able to restore root with no problem!

mroody

Reaction score
Need version 4.6.8

Hi all,
So I was rooted and then updated and lost root. I see that flashing back to version 4.6.8, rooting, backing up root then reupdating works, but my question is, how do I flash back? Do I have to download the files and the load them or is there a way to uninstall the update. If have to reinstall the old version can someone post a link to the old version files?

buckeyefan

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I was rooted and then updated and lost root. I see that flashing back to version 4.6.8, rooting, backing up root then reupdating works, but my question is, how do I flash back? Do I have to download the files and the load them or is there a way to uninstall the update. If have to reinstall the old version can someone post a link to the old version files?

Here is 4.6.8... [SBF] Gingerbread 2.3.3 for CDMA DROID Pro XT610 Verizon USA [SBF] - xda-developers

pcpilot309

Reaction score
Thanks Badcat. If you try the SBF and it works. let us know. If it works you will be one Bad Cat. :biggrin:

That link doesn't work. The link in that XDA thread brings you to a login page. Try this one instead https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/droid-pro-sbf-files Posted in this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-pro/202625-stock-update-6.html by Silver6054. I am not endorsing the file in any way as I haven't tried it yet. But the link is good.

badcat

Reaction score
Thanks Badcat. If you try the SBF and it works. let us know. If it works you will be one Bad Cat. :biggrin:
I have to admit that I'm a little hesitant to try this due to all the horror stories I'm seeing. I really hoping someone is able to provide a way to root with the current version negating the need to SBF back.

claymoses

Reaction score
I was able to sbf back to 3.8.7 (couldn't find a working 4.8.6 sbf link) after updating and losing root. There are other threads showing how to update to 4.7.3 and keep root. I'm on rooted 4.7.3 now and it is really great for battery and smoothness. I like it more than any other configuration I've used for daily driver. And I have used ALL of them...

Claymoses

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

badcat

Reaction score
I'm hestitant because of the unknown origin of the file. The process doesn't seem any harder than flashing a Blackberry OS. With BB though I could download the files right from the provider. I truly don't know where any of these came from. I just can't risk bricking my phone right now.

terrill1234

Reaction score
hey i have the droid x and my system version is: 4.5.621 and my android version is:2.3.4 iand i can not root my phone i have tried really hard and just cant do it. help please?