Warning on buying Milestone!

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Hey guys,

as it is to read in several forums, it makes a real difference, what Milestone you buy.
If you buy for example via Amazon, getting an unbranded unlocked milestone,
you wont have access to all apps on the market, as they are restricted to at least software branded milestones.

If you buy via a vendor, having at least a software branded OS, you will be fine.
A lot of amazon milestones where returned for having limited access to the market...

Just take care if you buy.

Tigger

greg_p

Reaction score
I have an unbranded milestone (french azerty one) and full access to market...

OP
RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
It is not about the case branding, but about the OS branding my friend. It is to be read in several milestone forums.

But they send a cllective email to Motorola AND google, to add the Imei numbers to the whitelist

greg_p

Reaction score
Mee too, no brand to my android, it'not not patched by carriers.

greg_p

Reaction score
Actually that would be very diffficult to make a list of application I can't see... as I can't see them ;). That's probably a silly question, but how can i do it (i'm not an android pro user as I just started witht the milestone.).

Pyroid

Reaction score
Wow, I was just having this issue, I can't seem to access to certain applications, and Ive gottem my milestone from a carrier (Personal, Argentina)

Pandora? Non existant.

Act1 to buy it full? Gives me "There are no matches in Android Market for the search: pname:com.hyperaware.videoplayerfull"

How can I solve this? How can I request my IMEI to be whitelisted? Or should I just go change my device?

Pyroid

Reaction score
The only one that can whitelist IMEI's to the marketserver is google/motorola.
The most germans having those issues returned their device and got one from a known
provider.

Thats what i'd suggest

Except this is from a provider (Personal, Telecom), it is not unlocked!

WatskeBart

Reaction score
How do i recognize a branded OS?

I bought my phone with eXpansys and i think i've got unlimited access to the market.
With Vodafone as my carrier.

boolean22

Reaction score
Pyroid, maybe that's why in the press release, Motorola Argentina representative said "there are +10.000 FREE apps for it"
I'm about to receive it from Personal too, chabón, so it seems there are no paid Apps for Argentina as of yet.

Anyone can confirm this? Any other Argentos down'ere?

Saludos!

–LeoX

big_adventure

Reaction score
Wow, I was just having this issue, I can't seem to access to certain applications, and Ive gottem my milestone from a carrier (Personal, Argentina)

Pandora? Non existant.

Act1 to buy it full? Gives me "There are no matches in Android Market for the search: pname:com.hyperaware.videoplayerfull"

How can I solve this? How can I request my IMEI to be whitelisted? Or should I just go change my device?

Pandora is always non-existant if you are not in the US or Canada, isn't it? It's definitely not available in Europe.

Typically, all you have to do is wait to have the phone white-listed. I got one of the first ones in France, and it took a day or two after I received it before some protected apps showed up. I bought it unlocked and unbranded.

About that:

A "branded" OS on a phone is one that has been modified to suit the carrier. If you buy a Milestone from a third party (say, Rue de Commerce in France or eXpansys in the UK), with no contract, you will (almost) always get an unbranded, completely stock OS. However, once the carrier starts selling the phone, they often make the manufacturer modify the phone somewhat - say, to include the carrier's own SatNav program, their own Visual Voicemail app, their own WAP-based browser and IPTV function, etc. They might also block certain functions. This becomes a "branded" phone. You usually, though not always, are then also stuck with the carrier's logo on the phone, and maybe in the software (for instance, in the startup graphics) as well.

Locked or unlocked simply means whether or not you can use a GSM (SIM-based) phone with any SIM, or if you are limited to the SIM from the provider who sold you the phone. Most subsidized (which are also typically branded) phones come this way, though most countries have laws forcing the carrier to unlock the phone for free after a certain amount of time. In the US, I think that the carrier HAS to unlock an unlockable phone after 90 days. In France, it is 6 months. This is a huge advantage to Verizon or Sprint in the US - because they use network technology that is not compatible with any other carriers, even if they DID unlock the phone, you couldn't change networks.

If waiting a few days doesn't work for you, try talking to Motorola, and getting them to whitelist your phone's code.

DAGr8

Reaction score
big_adventure said:
If waiting a few days doesn't work for you, try talking to Motorola, and getting them to whitelist your phone's code.

how do you suggest we do that ?

big_adventure

Reaction score

Really?

Try this:

1. Plug in computer. *
2. Boot up computer.
3. Open up a web browser.
4. Enter "motorola.com" in the URL bar.
5. It will locate what country you are connecting from automatically (ah, the wonders of the Tubez)
6. Click on Contact Us (OK, in France, it says Contactez-nous) on the bottom of the screen.
7. Here it gets tricky: you need to now click on "Support" if you don't want to get stuck sending an email. Of course, if an email is OK, just send your problem. If not, click on support.
8. Now, go ahead and click on "Contact us" in the left-hand column.
9. That brings you to the support site contact link, which (stupidly) is an unverifiable certificate, so you'll probably have to enter an exception.
10. Now, you have a long list of phone numbers.

OK, seeing that you are connecting from Canada, I went ahead and forced a connection to the canada site (by entering the complex URL Motorola Home - Motorola Canada) and then followed the same steps from the CA site. This brought me to the CA support number page, available at this URL:

https://motorola-global-en-usa.cust...er/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5917&p_country_code=CA

Here is the information from the site:

How can I contact Motorola for support questions?

space.gif
space.gif
Canada Customer Support Numbers
On Line and Telephone Order Inquires
1-800-461-4575​
Broadband Technical Support
1-877-466-8646​
Business/Government Two Way
1-866-948-5200​
Cellular
1-800-461-4575​
iDEN
1-800-453-0920​
Messaging
1-800-461-4575​
US Customer Support Numbers Broadband
1-877-466-8646​
US Cellular
1-800-331-6456​
US Paging
1-800-548-9954​
Consumer Two-Way
1-800-353-2729​
Business/Government Two-Way
1-800-353-2729​
iDEN (Nextel/Southern LINC/Telus)
1-800-453-0920​
Consumer Modems
1-800-221-4380​
Professional Two-Way Radios Spirit
1-800-448-6686​

CLICK HERE to contact us via Chat or Email.
CLICK HERE to be taken to the Global Support Country Selector.

Applicable Products: No Specific Product
* If you don't have a computer to plug in, all of these steps can be run from that magnificent phone in your hands, or from a friend's computer, or from a FedEx Kinko's, or an Internet Café.

If all of that seems like too much work, try opening that browser and searching for "motorola canada support phone number". The first 4 links Google drops all bring you directly to the numbers you need within a couple of clicks.

I do not work for Motorola, and I don't have this problem.

:motdroidhoriz:

DAGr8

Reaction score

Really?

Try this:

1. Plug in computer. *
2. Boot up computer.
3. Open up a web browser.
4. Enter "motorola.com" in the URL bar.
5. It will locate what country you are connecting from automatically (ah, the wonders of the Tubez)
6. Click on Contact Us (OK, in France, it says Contactez-nous) on the bottom of the screen.
7. Here it gets tricky: you need to now click on "Support" if you don't want to get stuck sending an email. Of course, if an email is OK, just send your problem. If not, click on support.
8. Now, go ahead and click on "Contact us" in the left-hand column.
9. That brings you to the support site contact link, which (stupidly) is an unverifiable certificate, so you'll probably have to enter an exception.
10. Now, you have a long list of phone numbers.

OK, seeing that you are connecting from Canada, I went ahead and forced a connection to the canada site (by entering the complex URL Motorola Home - Motorola Canada) and then followed the same steps from the CA site. This brought me to the CA support number page, available at this URL:

https://motorola-global-en-usa.cust...er/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5917&p_country_code=CA

Here is the information from the site:

How can I contact Motorola for support questions?

space.gif
space.gif
Canada Customer Support Numbers
On Line and Telephone Order Inquires
1-800-461-4575​
Broadband Technical Support
1-877-466-8646​
Business/Government Two Way
1-866-948-5200​
Cellular
1-800-461-4575​
iDEN
1-800-453-0920​
Messaging
1-800-461-4575​
US Customer Support Numbers Broadband
1-877-466-8646​
US Cellular
1-800-331-6456​
US Paging
1-800-548-9954​
Consumer Two-Way
1-800-353-2729​
Business/Government Two-Way
1-800-353-2729​
iDEN (Nextel/Southern LINC/Telus)
1-800-453-0920​
Consumer Modems
1-800-221-4380​
Professional Two-Way Radios Spirit
1-800-448-6686​

CLICK HERE to contact us via Chat or Email.
CLICK HERE to be taken to the Global Support Country Selector.

Applicable Products: No Specific Product
* If you don't have a computer to plug in, all of these steps can be run from that magnificent phone in your hands, or from a friend's computer, or from a FedEx Kinko's, or an Internet Café.

If all of that seems like too much work, try opening that browser and searching for "motorola canada support phone number". The first 4 links Google drops all bring you directly to the numbers you need within a couple of clicks.

I do not work for Motorola, and I don't have this problem.

:motdroidhoriz:

Hi there I appreciate he effort and thank you for it , mon ami , but as Milestone is not yet available in canada , there is no support for it as a Canadian . Also lots of things I read on the net is Google is the one that grants access to the market hence all motorola can do is pressur egoogle into whitelisting all these numbers that werent in the first place ( they should have been , so it seems )