Warning if you are visiting Alldroid Please Read

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Bear in NM, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hope this is ok on this forum. I wanted to post a psa for folks here doing hacks/roms and stuff from the alldroid forum.

The goal of that forum is to organize in a way where the actual development/hacks threads do not get cluttered with trivial stuff like "I can't get adb to work", "yea, this hack rocks" etc. They want to have folks with these kind of questions/comments in either the support forum on the main board, or in a support forum within the developers sub-page.

They have been kinda lax, but right now the overclock thread by tasmanian is getting the fine tooth comb and ban hammer by at least one mod. I think in general it would be a good idea to try their "new" support process, and try and keep the actual develoment thread clean for the developers to advance the subject, and the rest of us not-quite-newbs-anymore can help with the more basic installation instructions.

Craig

2. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so all dumb noob questions to be posted here rather than ALLDROID?

Alldroid users should only be people who know what they are doing ?

hrm......

-=Jason=-

3. nickfro

nickfro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is this yet another attempt by ALLDROID to get other sites shut down, C&D'd, or otherwise reduce their traffic in a pathetic attempt to drive ad revenue?

Sounds like it to me...

4. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    I sort of find this post on DF curious and interesting.

5. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Unless they place a sticky/rules to such effect, then as anyone else I'll post where I feel necessary.

-1 for form. If devs over there want to clean house, there are better ways than posting here.

6. masters

masters Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There was one thread here that had people that could not figure out how to rename a file.. Had nothing to do with the actual topic, except they could not do the very basic unix or windows commands to rename or copy or move something.

If there is a topic that tells you how to install something, and step 10 or whatever says rename a file from blahblah.apk.zip to blahblah.apk and you don't know how to do that, you need help in another forum.

There are soooo many off topic comments in some forums.. If you are here asking questions you should know the very basic in unix or windows. This forum is not here to teach you how to use your computer AND hack a droid, it's here to help people with their droid. It makes following some topics difficult.

7. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think so to both posts. You can still ask newb questions, they just want them either in the general support area, or in the support forum under each developers name/subforum.

Honestly, I think it is a reasonable idea, as some of the specific hack threads need all the brainpower the developers can muster in one place without the chatter to run them off. Don't know if you know this, but tasmainian actually pulled down his thread early on, as there were some things posted that he had problems with. It would have been a drag for him to have said screw it, for what ever reason.

I can live with their rules over there, and the expectations of the folks doing the developing, as some of these hacks are seriously important for some folks. I think the overclock thread got some world wide exposure, and I bet the powers to be over there wanted a clean thread to possibly help bring some real brain power to the effort, possibly from outside the forum.

Heck, maybe it just politics and revenue.........

Craig

8. nickfro

nickfro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ...but read OP's comments. It basically says, "if you want to be on a forum for smart devs only, go to ALLDROID and forget this place..."

ALLDROID is the same group that sent a C&D to Phandroid for posting information from one dev that they claimed to have 'exclusive rights to'. It's bogus.

Politely tell noobs to read the forum, or ask the mods here to not allow anyone to post unless they pass a short written test, but don't read OP's message as anything but what it is...a thinly veiled advertisement for ALLDROID.

9. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    There's life outside of DF? :icon_eek: LOL j/k

10. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Uh oh, what did I step in. I am no developer, I am not even a hack. I just saw some folks getting banned in one of the threads, and thought I would help out here, as many of us frequent both places. No agenda by me. I try and help here as repayment for the folks who helped me here when I was new. I had no idea there was so many underlying issues for folks with all of these boards. Looks like I just crossed the political line, by mistake.

Craig

11. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Not really Martin, just on the web or market.... ;)

I clearly understood the OP, and the intent is for questions or issues to be raised ON ALLDROID, but in another section, not within the Dec thread.

I would point out that while us pilots obey temp flight restrictions, the bad Guy's do not. Nothing will stop someone from posting where they please. My point earlier stands:

No PDA: govern your BBC effectively, with rules clearly laid out.

You will still have that problem though, no matter what you try...

12. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 8
    Twitter:
    TalonTech1
    I have had moderator exp. in several forums and boards and learned from one of the best mods out there and it sounds like this board wants to seem elite and gain some sort of control over other forums.
    This is not a good thing nor should it be acceptable.
    One of the big things they are forgetting is that with the growing popularity of android there are going to be a huge influx of new users who never even knew some of the basic "how to's" that they take for granted. With so many pages from Gizmodo and others touting the great hacks and tricks and such that android can do and what can be done there is going to be a growing interest in it. If that site wants to grow and truly become elite they need to embrace the growth and put up an area in their forum that gives some basic information and basic questions answered. This will help people who are totally new to anything not point and click and educate them in ways that will grow their community and their status as a truly elite site that can bring people from beginner level to high level and beyond.
    There are too many *nix forums as it is that cater to the elite and drive away the beginner. This puts people off from the great platform, this does not need to happen with android and yet here we see it is.
    Also the mods could handle it better by not so much using the ban hammer but instead actually putting in the time to redirect the questions to where they belong and get the thread back on track. That will also help the growth of their forum and android as a whole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.