Warning about screen protectors on ebay and even from Verizon!

atlDROIDfan

Reaction score
I have the Verizon SPs on my DROID. They fit just fine. Virtually invisible. Significantly cuts down on the appearance of finger prints.

Also, I've installed the SPs on every DROID that I have sold out of my store and every one I've put on fits perfectly. The fit of the SPs depends on how they are installed.

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
The one I got from the Verizon store (3-pack) fits perfectly.

People cannot even tell I have a screen protector on until I tell them I have one on. I haven't noticed any issue with effectiveness of the touch screen with the screen protector on.

I agree, love the verizon 3 pack, not one spec of dust, or air bubble, but I dont' like the edge on the bottom of the screen by the bottom buttons. Too "sharp"...

i love my 3 pack.. i noticed that when i was installing that the edges are too sharp to fit the screen so i cut a very small portion on the edge and it works. i installed mu first one perfectly so i still have 2. :D

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
The reason I dont like the invisible shield or anything else that requires water is because I have had a situation where I brought back a phone (non smartphone) to Verizon and they would not replace it because they claimed I dropped it in water, when it was just sweat. In fact, the iphone has a moisture detector (the Droid might have one too) that will tell them if it got wet and they should not honor the warranty. iPhone Includes Water Damage Indicator | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

i think most smartphones now have that water strip on the back. some actually have two: one on the device itself and the other on the battery

OP
RosarioM

RosarioM

Reaction score
i think most smartphones now have that water strip on the back. some actually have two: one on the device itself and the other on the battery

You mean one that detects whether or not someone dropped it in water?

jgminno

Reaction score
why buy screen protectors,just buy a nice case and b carefull

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Someone else on here posted about a good result with going to Best Buy, which I did, too. They sold the InvisibleShield for about $20 and installed for around $8. Lifetime guarantee. Lady was doing several in a row. You cannot tell anything is on there. Worth the cost to have it done right, for me. I would not try to do window tinting, either. When that goes wrong, everyone knows it :icon_eek:.

Good luck on whatever choice you make.

Andrew Serenyi

Reaction score
Try the NuShield screen protector

If you don't like the InvisibleShield film, you might want to try the NuShield antireflective screen protector. It has a rubberized backing, not an adhesive so it makes installation a breeze, without having to use liquids or air bubbles. You cut it yourself exactly how much you want to cover on the face and install it in seconds. It is also to lift up and reposition until your are satisfied. You can buy it at the NuShield website for $14.99 plus shipping.

pwjone1

Reaction score
Verizon 3-pack Screen Protectors

I bought the Version 3-pack Screen protectors, more out of habit than anything, usually buy screen protectors for LCD screens from Bando (HK), but they don't have anything out yet for the A855. Given the video (that guy's insane!), not sure much in the way of protection is needed, but it cannot hurt. The Verizon ones seem to be OK, shiny, and I've done enough of these things that I really didn't have trouble putting it on. It's mostly align, and then push out, making sure not to have air bubbles. I did not have to use a credit card, which is otherwise standard operating procedure. And so far, no signs of the edges coming lose or anything. The one problem I did have is that the paper strips that are attached, the top one anyway, did not pull away cleanly, so I had to work the paper off and then some adhesive. They have to work on that a bit. There's a cut-out for the speaker, need that of course, and two notches for I guess the LED indicators. Not sure why those are needed. Ends just above the touch pad at the bottom of the screen. Not sure why they didn't just cover those, but the ledge makes them a bit easier to find in the dark. On the whole, no major complaints.

Pam

Reaction score
Is this the Zagg full body protector? Do you have a trick for bubble free application? The Verizon ones are junk and I am looking for one I can get one without bubbles.

Zennmaster

Reaction score
I bought these for $4 for a 5-pack. Works great. Covers the ENTIRE screen. Hurry, this discount price is only good for 24 hours I think.

5X EZguard Motorola VERIZON DROID Screen Protector A855 - eBay (item 230397632730 end time Nov-19-09 10:47:41 PST)

I went for those too, should be here tomorrow. I tried the Verizon 3-pack, and was very disappointed in the way they climbed from the corners. Hopefully these will be better. If not, so what, it's 4 bucks for 5 tries!

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
Is this the Zagg full body protector? Do you have a trick for bubble free application? The Verizon ones are junk and I am looking for one I can get one without bubbles.

there are two choices: one is screen only, the other, whole body.

josh

Reaction score
I tried to put on the Verizon protectors last night after I noticed some very fine scratches on my screen from keeping the phone in my pocket (with nothing but a plastic chapstick tube). The first one I couldn't get aligned and ended up peeling it off too many times and threw it away. The second one is currently on the phone, but only temporarily as it looks like crap. The fit is really, really tight and there is no margin for error at all. If you're slightly off it will be raised on one side and/or at the top corners. I'm pretty disappointed. I have 1 protector left but I don't have much faith that the third time will be a charm for me. :(

pwjone1

Reaction score
I tried to put on the Verizon protectors last night after I noticed some very fine scratches on my screen from keeping the phone in my pocket (with nothing but a plastic chapstick tube). The first one I couldn't get aligned and ended up peeling it off too many times and threw it away. The second one is currently on the phone, but only temporarily as it looks like crap. The fit is really, really tight and there is no margin for error at all. If you're slightly off it will be raised on one side and/or at the top corners. I'm pretty disappointed. I have 1 protector left but I don't have much faith that the third time will be a charm for me. :(

Odd, there's that video up, where the guy attacks his Droid screen with keys, and it does not scratch. See:

[video=youtube;eh2g7AIHdc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8[/video]

So it is kind of surprising that the chapstick scratched the screen. But I guess that's what screen protectors & cases are there for. Still, not sure it wasn't dirt or paint from the tube? I guess that would have to have rubbed off, adhered to the screen, and would have come off if you scrubbed it, which is normal operating procedure for putting on a screen shield.

Anyway, no problem at my end, putting on the Verizon screen shield, other than then the paper tab leaving behind some residue that I had to scrub off. And so far, not had the phone a long time obviously, so good. Now granted, I've done so many of these screen shields, various devices, that I'd be considered I guess "experienced", and I know someone else that bought from the same place (it occurs to me, not all Verizons may be selling the same thing), and had bubble problems. What I've mostly been able to do with these thicker screen shields is basically start with one edge, usually the long one, get that down, be careful on alignment, work it down slowly, over to the other side. If you get an air bubble, just pull up slightly, to the point where the bubble is, and then work it down again. If it repeats, try using a credit card, something smooth and not-too-sharp, to work it outwards. Do this all in as dust free environment as possible (some use bathrooms). I'm not saying it's easy, but with a little practice and patience, not impossible, either.

wil318466

Reaction score
Personally, I'd skip the cover. I had the protector on and HATED it. The glass is sturdy and sure as hell didn't scratch yet on me, and in all honesty I don't think it will scratch. Seems very durable and super easy to clean (one quick wipe).

-Wil