Warning about screen protectors on ebay and even from Verizon!

RosarioM

Reaction score
I've gone through a bunch of cheap screen protectors in the last two weeks. I can't seem to find a good fitting one. I have gotten two cheap ones from Ebay and the ones from Verizon and all do not fit right (too large). I believe the phone hasn't been out long enough and the manufacturers are cutting them based on some spec on the screen size that includes the metal bezel.

Aside from the Invisible Shield (which scares me because of the water and I can never install right). Has anyone had any good experiences with any ebay sellers?

Thanks

Stigy

Reaction score
The one I got from the Verizon store (3-pack) fits perfectly.

People cannot even tell I have a screen protector on until I tell them I have one on. I haven't noticed any issue with effectiveness of the touch screen with the screen protector on.

xxfire

Reaction score

People cannot even tell I have a screen protector on until I tell them I have one on. I haven't noticed any issue with effectiveness of the touch screen with the screen protector on.

I agree, love the verizon 3 pack, not one spec of dust, or air bubble, but I dont' like the edge on the bottom of the screen by the bottom buttons. Too "sharp"...

mwinne

Reaction score

+1 this..............

OP
RosarioM

RosarioM

Reaction score
I don't like the fact that on the Verizon one, the touch buttons on the bottom are not covered. I wonder if they get different manufacturers and rebrand them. The ones I got didn't fit well at all. Or maybe I got a bad batch.

DaHarder

Reaction score
I purchased a transparent 'full-body kit' from www.[B]ClearFreak[/B].com on ebay (US 10.00 shipped), and everything installed easily, fit perfectly, and appears to be long-lasting.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
In general eBay is something that you should know ONE THing about:

Dont EXPECT!

If you pay for something, you dont expect to be good, then u pay less, and you r not angry and surprised, if the stuff is just crap!

I only buy sth. on ebay, where i know, that i just want to have that thing to try it out and dont have to last long. Normally all stuff b ought on ebay can be bought NEW for just some bucks more....so why save em?

Just my 2 cents!

Tigger

OP
RosarioM

RosarioM

Reaction score
I bought from Verizon and they protectors were crap.... Do you really think the ones that Verizon sells (made in China) are much different than the ones you guy on ebay (also made in China)?

They are probably made by the same company... I doubt Verizon is cranking these out somewhere in New Jersey...

agordonwsu

Reaction score
Ebay is one of the best places for discount phone gear. Screen protectors, chargers, and hard cases I've got there in the past have been decent quality and a 25% of the price from verizon. I bought a 3 pack of screen protectors for 2.29...

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Invisible Shield type urethane protectors (many different companies make what is essentially the same product).

Installing them yourself can be hit or miss but check your local mall(s) and see if they have an Invisible Shield kiosk there. Mine does and for $10 over the webprice, they installed it for me very professionally. The nice thing about it is that if it ever peels, discolors, gets scratched, or anything, they will put a new on at no additional charge. If your phone breaks or for any other reason is replaced, the kiosk will put a new IS on your new phone as long as it is the same type of phone as before and you bring the old Invisible Shield off the dead phone (they peel off with some difficulty).

While I was having mine installed, two people walked up with issues and, just like the guy told me, their shields were promptly replaced with no more trouble than looking up their info on the computer to verify they'd purchased the original shield.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
The Verizon 3 pack does not stay on the screen very well by itself. It kinda just "attracts" to the screen, it doesnt actually stick on it. This makes it too easy to remove, and the edges to not stay on perfectly. I can see the protector a bit on the edges where a small amount of peeling is there since it doesnt actually stick on the screen.

But, I do use one of those hard plastic see-through cases from the verizon store, which ensures/protects the screen protector from coming off easily. They work really well together.

I do not recommend those cheap plastic film covers that you wet and stick to your phone. You risk damaging the device with water/moisture. Those protectors are also crap. They will NOT protect your phone if you drop it on the ground. The most those cheap little things will do is protect from small scratches or very small drops.

As much as the phone costs, I highly suggest investing in a hard plastic snap-on case like the colored-see-through ones in the verizon stores. It might be a little more bulky, but you will be thanking yourself one day when you drop it and it keeps your screen from getting cracked or the phone from getting some bad body damage.

Because lets face it, its highly likely your going to make that one mistake and drop it somewhere before that 2 year contract is up, and full retail can run you 500 bucks for a new phone. Since your probably going to drop it one day, make sure it has good enough protection for such a situation.

denlem

Reaction score
I put a Ghost Armour protector on a few days ago and it's a perfect fit. They are put on wet, and the nice thing about that is you are able to slide it around during the install and position it perfectly. The verizon type protector just sticks and won't slide, so alignment is tricky. Been there.

As far as using a liquid to install, it doesn't necessarily hurt the electronics (the lcd maybe). I've worked 27 years in electronics manufacturing. After our boards went over the solder wave, they went through either a water bath or a chemical bath to clean any reside off the flux left after soldering. They got wet. It was part of the process. While I can't speak for the electronics in the phone, experience tells me that some moisture won't hurt, just be powered down and allow to dry before powering on.

OP
RosarioM

RosarioM

Reaction score
The reason I dont like the invisible shield or anything else that requires water is because I have had a situation where I brought back a phone (non smartphone) to Verizon and they would not replace it because they claimed I dropped it in water, when it was just sweat. In fact, the iphone has a moisture detector (the Droid might have one too) that will tell them if it got wet and they should not honor the warranty. iPhone Includes Water Damage Indicator | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is one of only many reasons I sprung for the insurance. Supposedly, it covers anything.