Wanting to use Rom Manager

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by cnmsales, Jun 25, 2010.

1. cnmsales

cnmsales Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few questions in regard to using rom manager.

#1 I currently have sprecovery installed and have a backup created with it. If I use rom man i understand it has to install clock work. First off does this install INSTEAD of sprecovery. Or are both then installed and usable?

#2 Im presumming the answer to question one is that its one or the other. If that is the case. Lets say something goes wrong down the road. Am I able to reinstall sprecovery and use the back up created with it?

#3 If I decide to go with clockwork. I know rom manager will install it for me. Do I have to do anything prior to installing. Such as uninstalling SP? Wipeing and clearing cache data?

#4 Is there anything I need to know before going foward with this? Will installing rom manager mess up my current rom? Im currently using kangerade 1.1. Once this is installed will it automatically manage the rom thats currently installed?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

2. droidman101

droidman101 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1. instead of
    2. Yes, but you can make a backup in clockwork too.
    3. Nope
    4. Your spr backups wont work in clockwork. Nope, you have to choose to change the rom.

3. cnmsales

cnmsales Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Droidman thanks. Further info on #4. If I have to choose to change to a different rom with rom manager. Will I be able to go back to kangerade if I want within rom manager? I guess what im asking. Since I already have kangerade installed. Will it be available in rom manager now or will I have to redownload it?

4. cnmsales

cnmsales Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I have installed Rom Manager and flashed clockwork recovery. Ran a back up. Now trying to get the bkapp script to work in kangeraide to get my stuff backed up there. But thats another issue all together.

I am a bit confused now looking at the downloads available through rom manager.

Some of them claim to be ROMS. Some claim to be THEMES. Whats the difference.

Some that claim to be ROMS, indicate they can only be used with Cyanogen MOD.

Lots of information all at once and im sure im confusing the issue right now.

Can someone lay down a little knowledge and get me straight.

THANKS!!!

5. cnmsales

cnmsales Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bump. Can any one provide me a good explanation?

6. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I love sp recovery...it never fails me. Rom manager takes you out of the equation and does it for you...not very comforting...I think it is overrated. In sp recovery, you won't get caught in a boot loop because if the file don't work, it wont install. With RM, a file that doesn't install correctly = boot loop hell.

7. soccer568

soccer568 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok well clockwork and sp recovery are are both good. Its mostly personal opinion on which one you like I like clockwork because I like rom manager. A theme is a program that can be applied over a rom to make it look better. I like themes while some people just like plain old stock

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. cnmsales

cnmsales Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Soccer thanks for that.

My confusion is in rom man some items that are labled as ROMS indicate they are to be used with Cyanogen? Isnt cyanogen a rom? How can a rom be used with another rom.

For example. You have cyanogen. It is a rom correct?

Then you have kangerade. It is a rom as well no? But for Kangerade the main menu in rom man describes it as more cyanogen goodness?

Is kangerade cyanogen?

Forkup is described as "roms, themes and addons cyanogen on the droid." Again, how can a rom be used with a rom?

Most of the items in rom manager seem to be tied back to cyanogen.

Example. Smoked Glass-Esque. says it can be installed over cyanogen.

So smoked glass can only be used with cyanogen? Or can it be used with Kangerade as well?

Im sure you can see im throughly confused. I could really use some good detailed explanation here to what im looking at. Im really sorry for being so newbish w/ this. But I dont want to fry my hardware so I want to have a very good informed idea of what im doing before I start flashing stuff.

9. soccer568

soccer568 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, well to answer you first question no you can only run one rom a time. Like right now I'm running biggles beat v 1.1. So basically because I'm running his rom I should just got to bugless beast tab of rom manager and install stuff off there. I would recommend before you, start doing, anything you make a backup with clockwork its always good to make multiple backups. Don't worry everyone has too start out somewhere. In fact I am still learning new things everyday.

10. cnmsales

cnmsales Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I have done a backup with CW. I also have an SP backup sitting on 3 different hard drives on my computer LOL.

But let me ask this way
    #1. What is cyanogen
    #2 What is Smoked Glass?
    #3 Jrummy - It says in the description "Get even more of that cyanogenmod goodness."

How is Jrummy more cyanogen goodness? Isnt Jrummy its own rom?

#4 Forkup. Its description says "ROMS, Themes and addons for cyanogen on the droid"

If cyanogen is a rom, and forkup is a rom. Then how can forkup be a rom FOR cyanogen?

11. soccer568

soccer568 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ha ha so back to the point cynanogen is a rom to answer your first question.smoked glass is a theme that is very popular in fact I'm running it right now. I actually don't know why jrummy says that but jrummmy has his own roms.jrummy is, the developer and his rom are like named like the shiz or kangerade. What forkup is saying in his tab is he has roms that he had made. Themes hes made and then hes made addons for the cynanogen rom.

12. Sam

Sam Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    ok, look at it this way. cyanogen is a CLASS of roms (not really, but this is a good way to explain).. there are a bunch of ROMs that are based off cyanogen's (it's a person, not a name, like kangerade) work and are therefore mostly compatible with each other. so "more cyanogen goodness" means a different version or improved version, but based off the same ROM that cyanogen created. to be more specific, cyanogen has a build setup that most people use. in reality you can expect that most everything available on rom manager has been built by using cyanogen's work, at least on some level.