Wanting to learn about rooting and camera replacement question

m2jpilot

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

my Verizon Galaxy SIII I-535 recently took a dunk in some water. Luckily the phone survived. But since it's outta warranty, I thought I would take a dive into rooting it. Mainly to get rid of the blotware and so that I can move apps, movies and such to my SD card since I guess it's otherwise quite difficult. The only thing that seems to have gone wrong when it went for a swim was the camera quit focusing. I tried some camera apps, but none helped with the focus issue. I saw some replacement camera parts on Amazon for $25-$30 and have a store that will do it for $45.

So question #1, how easy is it to replace the camera? One on Amazon says it comes with the tools to do the switch out. Or should I just pay the $45 at the store?

Question #2 What's currently the best way to root my device? I am a noob by all definitions LOL Actually I have a decent working knowledge of computers, but by no means an expert of any sort. Using windows 7 64bit

I'm on stock (obviously) version 4.1.2
Baseband version I535VRBLMD3
Kernel Version 3.0.31-1121237
se.infra@SEP-67 #1
SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 16
Build Number JZO54K.I535VRMD3
Hardware Version I535.10

Thanks!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
On the camera question - I would say go the route you feel most comfortable with...if you think you can do the switch out and are comfortable with it - go for it :)...

On the rooting - we have all kinds of guides at our sister site for the S3 that will get ya going and rooted in no time :)... Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum ...good luck!

OP
m2jpilot

m2jpilot

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I just registered over there and will take a look. Gave you the referral if it means anything LOL

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. Hope you got this worked out. DancingNexus