Wanting to know more about spying on my Droid.

TattooedDroid

Reaction score
I started using an Android because of the features & the ability to stay mobile. Of course apps were used to make everything easier & I was able to enjoy staying in touch w/more in my life. After a while, I had noticed "permissions" w/ apps that wanted access to things that weren't remotely used for access to things unrelated to app. I left my contract phone (Motor Droid) and went pre-pay for changes in Verizon privacy policy. I went w/ a newer phone w/ more capabilities. My life is belongs to me just a little more now. I've never been paranoid about things like this, figured companies would waste too much. So, I basically ignored other Droid users when bringing this out. But, after I signed up for a book-swapping account on the market, being asked to link Facebook & my phone, I logged back in using a browser that mimics a desk top, & was kicked off for fraud w/ threat to inform Google, I think there's way too much freedom using my life w/ corporate $$! Android users seem to be at the forefront for this purpose & at also staying a step ahead. The browser was downloaded for posting pics when my mobile one couldn't...I am so happy for devs like that!! It gives me freedom to have my life secret and still enjoy using my system. Is there other things to protect me? And what companies are the worst? I am totally new at this, but would love the chance to join the Droid rebellion! Thanx to any responses w/ help!

Sent from my SCH-I400 using DroidForums

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
What rebellion are you speaking of?

chrisl20

Reaction score
Haha, I read this op last night when I was baked and just thought I was the reason for misunderstanding...guess not...ik, I havnt heard about a rebellion of any sorts...but, if so, id like to know...im all for conspiracies...but, as far as spying...I believe anyone that wanted to find you...could...especially w a smartphone...any, smart phone...whether it be from call triangulation, gps or wifi, I am sure they could hunt you down if they wanted..."the man" is made of money..

DROOIID

Reaction score
That was the most confusing post I have ever read. Rewrite it or I need a translator lol. Viva la rebellion

Sent from my OG Droid, fresh MIUI

bplewis24

Reaction score
Guys, I am here to translate:

I purchased an Android phone for my first smartphone. I very much enjoyed the ability to have mobile internet & connectivity with social networks right from my mobile device. Then I noticed some of these apps have unreasonable permissions that I was uncomfortable with. I gave up my OG Droid and went with a month-to-month contract with a newer phone because I was under the impression there was a different privacy policy when being off-contract. My life is belongs to me just a little more now.

I've never been paranoid about things like this as I figured companies couldn't keep track of all that user information to put it to any use regardless. So I basically ignored all of this location-tracking stuff when it first came out. But, after I signed up for a herp derp account on the market, it prompted me to link my Facebook account with the app. I logged back in using a third-party browser that acts as a desktop client. Herp derp derp, herpity derp derp I accidentally the whole thing, but they can't hack or nothin cause I got Norton.

The browser was downloaded for posting pics when my mobile one couldn't...I am so happy for devs that give us these work-around exploits!! It gives me freedom to send/receive data without being tracked, yet still not get locked out of the ecosystem. Is there other things to protect me? And what companies are the worst? I am totally new at this, but would love the chance to join the Droid rebellion! Thanx to any responses w/ help!

You're welcome.

Brandon

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Guys, I am here to translate:

I purchased an Android phone for my first smartphone. I very much enjoyed the ability to have mobile internet & connectivity with social networks right from my mobile device. Then I noticed some of these apps have unreasonable permissions that I was uncomfortable with. I gave up my OG Droid and went with a month-to-month contract with a newer phone because I was under the impression there was a different privacy policy when being off-contract. My life is belongs to me just a little more now.

I've never been paranoid about things like this as I figured companies couldn't keep track of all that user information to put it to any use regardless. So I basically ignored all of this location-tracking stuff when it first came out. But, after I signed up for a herp derp account on the market, it prompted me to link my Facebook account with the app. I logged back in using a third-party browser that acts as a desktop client. Herp derp derp, herpity derp derp I accidentally the whole thing, but they can't hack or nothin cause I got Norton.

The browser was downloaded for posting pics when my mobile one couldn't...I am so happy for devs that give us these work-around exploits!! It gives me freedom to send/receive data without being tracked, yet still not get locked out of the ecosystem. Is there other things to protect me? And what companies are the worst? I am totally new at this, but would love the chance to join the Droid rebellion! Thanx to any responses w/ help!

You're welcome.

Brandon

That was epic.... especially the herpity derp derp thrown in.

On topic, I want some of whatever the op is smokin.... why would there be anything different privacy wise because your off contract? Also, as someone else said if someone wants to they can find you regardless. There's a website that you can put any number in and it will tell you location, name, d.o.b., and more.

Sent from an Angelic D2G

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Care to share that link? lol. The translation was still a bit confusing to me lol. I still dont know what a desktop browser has to do with this either lol.
That was the most confusing post I have ever read. Rewrite it or I need a translator lol. Viva la rebellion

Sent from my OG Droid, fresh MIUI

I have seen worse believe it or not lol. They were foreign though so atlest they had an excuse. I think the OP, well I have no idea, but I think hes American lol.

xan

Reaction score
Is there a tin foil hat app?

Every phone call, text and email message is saved by the patriot act for possible review, be it live, or at some point in the future.
If you want to be off the radar, don't use a phone or the internet.

bplewis24

Reaction score
I still dont know what a desktop browser has to do with this either lol.

You know how when you view websites on your phone, most sites default to a "mobile" version which lacks the functionality of the full version of the website? I'm assuming the OP needed to interact with a full version of a website and so he downloaded a specific browser that disguised itself as a desktop version, but then that caused some sort of problem for him that I couldn't translate.

In the stock browser, if you type in "about:debug" into the address bar and then go to settings, you can change the user agent string to "desktop" which serves the same purpose.

Brandon

tekjunkie28

Reaction score
What gets me is that he is all worried about his location tracking and access privledges that the OP still states his location, LMAO I believe that says it all! This was a great herpity derp der derp laugh