1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Wanting to hear others thoughts

Discussion in 'Sony Xperia Play' started by gertman, Apr 2, 2011.

1. gertman

gertman New Member

Hi Everyone I have come to ask your opinion,

So I have a Droid 1 right now that I bought back in December '10 and I am a serious hardcore user. I am rooted (CM7 R4) and have tons of apps and games on my phone. I have no laptop, tablet, i-pod, or GPS so my phone is really my primary electronic device for everything!!! I need to charge my phone multiple times a day!!! I really try and get apps that I use and I really try to remember I have them and to use them to make my life easier.......not just some cool tech gadget to show off......a swiss army knife in my pocket with unlimited accessories!! When you really think about it smart phones are really cool!!! AND of course I love to play games on my phone.....I never use my PSP or PC to play games anymore just my phone.

Anyway, so the way I see it I want to upgrade my Droid for the following reasons:

1. Bigger screen
    2. Faster processor
    3. More room for apps
    4. More RAM to play the new larger games (Dungeon Defender etc)

Now, the reason why I really want the Xperia Play is that I only use my slide-out keyboard for emulators and it is still fairly hard to use it successfully!! So I figure this Xperia Play would be perfect!!! It is an Android smart phone just like the Droid only it has a slide out game-pad instead of the keyboard!!!

Now, I am one of these obsessive types and have read everything there is to read on this phone....I Google it at least once a day!!! And unfortunately have uncovered a few negatives about the new Sony in recent reviews from the UK and Gizmodo:

1. Screen is fairly dim especially in sun light (I mount my phone to the dash when ever I drive and use it as a GPS and to listen to POD casts...does this mean with the Play I will not really be able to do this?)

2. Phone memory is only up to 400mb (from Sony's site) they say up to because different carriers bloat ware will use up some of this. This really hurts considering the Driod Incredible that came out a year ago has Gigs of storage......what gives?? This one really makes me mad considering I have been living with the teeny tiny memory of the Droid all this time!!

3. Not very many exclusive games (will Sony really support for more than a few months? Will they make exclusive games not just PSX rehashes)

4. No dual core processor (aka how long will this device really be able to play the latest Android games?)
    (Now, here I am hoping that Sony put a steak in the ground and that developers will use the hardware of the Play as their guide, sure there are already more powerful phones out there but it won't matter for most games, this IS the Android gaming machine and they will tailor there games to it......I can hope can't I??

5. The Sony NGP (supposed December release) will have 3G (Will it be Android based and how much!!!)

6. No 4G (I am almost kicking myself right now because Verizon if offering the Thunderbolt with unlimited 4G for 30 bucks a month!!! Don't really want this phone just the plan!!!

So I am writing this post to inform and also to ASK anyone else out there who is planning to get this phone why? Please help convince me I am not crazy and that I should get this phone!!!
  2. pyroelite

pyroelite New Member

I would focus more on the galaxy s2 (or bionic). Front facing cam, 1gb mem, dual core, super amoled display... & S2 will have a better chance of getting completely unlocked - I'm losing faith in moto...

DX {Rub¡X Blurr¥ 2.¤}
  3. gertman

gertman New Member

Just for the record, the Sony Xperia Play does have a front facing camera.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  4. biggles

biggles New Member

Droid 1 user here, I have almost the same exact questions and concerns as the original poster. And I am on the fence about whether to upgrade to the Xperia Play. One thing I will say is that pretty much any modern android smart phone will beat a Droid 1 at this point. The Droid 1 was good for its time but is rapidly getting outdated.
  5. pyroelite

pyroelite New Member

Watched some more videos on the XP & while it's a cool concept, I think with the current specs, it's sadly already losing it's window of viability before it's barely available.

They should have bumped the ram to a gig, internal storage of only 400mb? (didn't devs learn anything from the D1?); no 4g? No dual core? Only a 1500 mAh battery won't last long gaming, et al...

So... If you wanna game, psp2 or ds 3d. If you want a sik new phone that can game (w/o cool buttons) & is geared for a 2yr agreement, look for lg optimus 3d, galaxy s2, or bionic... But then again, I guess you can do w/e you want ;-)

DX {Rub¡X Blurr¥ 2.¤}
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  6. gertman

gertman New Member

I agree.......but at least you can play emulator games with a real game pad!!
  7. riko540

riko540 New Member

The NGP is not android based from what I can tell. As for the price some speculate that it will be $350.
  8. gertman

gertman New Member

You're probably right about the NGP. I think it might even cost more considering the Xperia Play unsubsudized in Europe is 4 or 5 hundred.

9. riko540

riko540 New Member

It might be but if they do they will price themselves right out of the market and no one will buy it.
  10. hatcyl

hatcyl New Member

I'll convince you!

1. Emulators with a real gamepad.
    Just load up a game right now with touch screen controls. Horrible right? Xperia Play will fix that.

2. Its fast enough.
    Yes, its specs are outdated before it even comes out ... but then only real reason to need a dual core CPU would be for gaming. Shouldn't be a big deal because plenty of games will be made for the PLAY in mind.

3. 4G is overrated.
    Your data will still get to your phone, just a bit slower. This won't be an issue when you are at home with WiFi.

Ill agree, the only thing going for this phone is the game pad (a tegra 2, amoled, 4G, hdmi would have been nice) but non of it beats the game pad.