Wanting some help with rooting and installing Rom on my droid1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Koontzy, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I am going to be rooting my droid1 and installing a custom rom... Benn looking at Bugless Beast and Team Chaos along with the others listed here, including Cyanogen.

My questions are.

Is there a program online where I can root my phone at? Like a 1 click typoe of program? I have seem them for the Iphones I believe and other Smartphones.

Also I have the Droid1, will i be able to get flash working with any of the custom mods? if so which ones should I be looking at?

How long does it take for a first time root and rom install? This will be my first time doing it, although I have unlocked a Iphone before(a few years ago)

My main question though is the flash, and getting it to work hopefully.

thanks

2. ivan_411

ivan_411 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I havent heard of a one-click program out there.
    There are threads on here that have step by step directions on how to root.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

These are the steps I used to root for the first time.^^
    As for flash, I have bugless beast v0.4 and it works with it.

Download: Flash 10.1 Beta 3 for Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

This is where i got my flash apk from.^^
    What you can do is from your phone, (once rooted), go to the website and download the link. Then open it with a file manager, (ex. astro), and install.

As for how long it will take depends. On my first try, i did it in about 30 mins. There's no rush in doing it. Just make sure that you read all the steps in the guide first so you can get an idea of how to do it. Then go for it. I was surprised at how simple it was to root.

3. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks....Bugless Beast was one of the ones I am looking at putting on. I will definatly check out your links:)

4. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok I checked out the link for rooting, but it seems to go from one to the next... which boxes do I follow to root my phone and put Bugless beast on there?

It seems I would follow boxes 1,2,3 and not 4 and 5? Ok so how do I put the custom rom onto the phone?

5. ivan_411

ivan_411 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, i forgot to post up the link to where i got bbv0.4 from.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...t-v0-4-android-2-2-frf84b-fully-deodexed.html

Here you go ^^
    The kernel is automatically overclocked to 800mhz. Not sure if you want to overclock it but thats what it comes with. I suggest getting the setcpu app from the market. Its only $1.99 and you can set the speed as you wish.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

6. ivan_411

ivan_411 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, steps 1,2,3 are a must. once you get to step 4, you need to choose which ROM you would want to put on your phone. What I did was download the bbv0.4 zip file on the link that i posted above and download it. One you download it, go to where you have it saved, most likely under your downloads, and change the name to update.zip. Just click on rename and type in update. the ".zip" will automatically stay. From there on, connect your phone and mount the usb. Open up the sd card and place it on the root of your sd. the root of the sd means to place it where its separate from any other file or folder. once thats done, you can continue following the steps on the guide

7. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

Ratings:
    +0

ok thaks...when I connect my phone to my comp, it doesnt ask me to mount my sd? or will it only do it after I root? wondering because I have seen it once on my wifes phone, but never on mine. also when I connect my phone it doesnt show up anywhere on my computer. so how would I find the sdcard?

8. biz79

biz79 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, shouldn't take too long, just depends on how fast you do things. I'd suggest taking your time and just following the steps of whichever guide u like. The one you posted looks good.

As for flash, you need to use a 2.2 Froyo rom. So BB, Cyanogen, etc. are all fine. You should do steps 1-3 for that guide, and replace step 4 with whatever rom u choose. Also, I agree with the poster above- SetCPU is a great program to have to manage your CPU clock speed and worth the price.

9. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Ok thaks for the reply, I am looking at BB and Cyanogen along with others, so far BB is sticking out to me a little more...I am gonna be doing this tonight while my wife watches tv:) so I still have some time to look around.

10. ivan_411

ivan_411 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What do u mean it won't show up on your computer? Does it give u the option to mount ur phone on your notifications bar?

11. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah sorry, I got that one figured out... It gives me the options, I was thinking it was suppsed to pop up.......I meant to post that I got it figured out.

Thanks for all the help ivan....are you liking the BB Rom?

12. ivan_411

ivan_411 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh, ok. cool. yea. i like it. i rooted on the 13th when they had said the new update was going to come out. Then i read on the forums that it wasnt going to come out. i got impatient and rooted. its fairly simple if you follow all the steps.

make sure you bookmark the guide on how to root so you can refer to it in the future. Installing themes and kernels are exactly the same method. download it from your computer. rename to update.zip. and follow the steps from the guide.