*Wanted* The Best Battery life tips and reasons.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I'm pretty darn familiar with Android ;) I'm not really replying whether I support either side, just pointing out that its a grey area.

diggity

Reaction score
Put phone in airplane mode when spending more than a short time in an area with poor/no signal.

BzB

Reaction score
and the most obvious answer....get a bigger battery! duh? lol.

seriously though, the 1300mah battery in the incredible is a shame. it should have been at least 1500mah. there are many extended batteries available and coming out from 1500 up to seidio's monster 3000.

OP
P

PeterCopper

Reaction score
I have recently Turned on the always-on-mobile option on the Droid Incredible and have noticed a slight improvement in my battery life(ie. longer fiddling with my phone with less battery loss). Although it is good i can still see myself running out of battery before the end of the day. Another question is whether using wifi in situations where its available is better than not. Please comment with your feedback

sherif

Reaction score
Using WiFi has a considerable battery savings over EVDO data usage. The cell radio is much more expensive in terms of battery life.

Don't worry too much about task killing, the best thing you can do is to reduce the frequency of HTC Sense UI updates like friendstream/twitter. Instead of 15-20 minute refreshes set it to around 2 hours and you'll notice an improvement.

Same thing with weather widgets, lower it to update every 3-4 hours and you'll be golden.

sherif

Reaction score
I've also picked up the Seidio 1750mah battery and that has helped me keep this thing off the mains (charger) for a few extra hours... I have absolutely no problem making it through the day, now that I've adjusted the update frequencies and picked up the aftermarket battery.

Rollingbones

Reaction score
One thing that helpped save juice on my Moto D was using a dark wallpaper. Less light, less juce. I also make sure to stay away with live wallpapers. They serve no useful function and use up juice as well.

kmo

Reaction score
OK after all the battery threads I decided to do some of my own real world experimenting with my INC. I've been using "advanced task killer" since I got the phone. Also, juice defender and juice plotter. Just realized after seeing a related thread that juice defender isn't working with 2.1 update yet so decided to turn it and plotter off, and stopped using the task killer incessantly. After the same 12 hour period of the same usage I had almost 25% more battery at the end of my day. I was at 42% as opposed to under 20%. Fluke or were those both sucking that much juice from my battery? Going to stay with this pattern for a bit to see if this helps....dancedroid still considering the seidio 1750mAh extended but for now looking at some alternatives to keeping this 1300mAH going for a longer time....

sherif

Reaction score
One thing that helpped save juice on my Moto D was using a dark wallpaper. Less light, less juce. I also make sure to stay away with live wallpapers. They serve no useful function and use up juice as well.

Bright colors on the Motorola Droid do not use more power, as it is an LCD with a backlight. So having a light or dark background does not make a difference... The only thing that actually helps is lowering the brightness.

LCD screens like the Moto Droid have a backlight that is always running, and the power cost is the same for both light or dark colored pixels. This is because the lighting either comes from the side, or behind the screen.

However, on the Droid Incredible, dark colors DO SAVE power because black pixels are actually turning off or producing less light. They are essentially "off" because the way AMOLED works is that each pixel produces its own light.

This can be explained in much greater detail but I tried to keep it short.

Summary:

The way to save power on an LCD (Moto Droid/iPhone/Etc...) is to lower your brightness. Black backgrounds do not affect this.

The way to save power on an AMOLED (Incredible/Nexus One) screen is by BOTH lowering brightness and using dark backgrounds.

Last edited:

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
I ordered the Seidio 1750mAh extended battery. I have heard its the best bet if you need to make it through the day.

atthehop

Reaction score
I ordered the Seidio 1750mAh extended battery. I have heard its the best bet if you need to make it through the day.

Just ordered mine along with a stand alone charger for 29.95 so it can charge both the phone and spare battery at the same time.

Rollingbones

Reaction score

Bright colors on the Motorola Droid do not use more power, as it is an LCD with a backlight. So having a light or dark background does not make a difference... The only thing that actually helps is lowering the brightness.

LCD screens like the Moto Droid have a backlight that is always running, and the power cost is the same for both light or dark colored pixels. This is because the lighting either comes from the side, or behind the screen.

However, on the Droid Incredible, dark colors DO SAVE power because black pixels are actually turning off or producing less light. They are essentially "off" because the way AMOLED works is that each pixel produces its own light.

This can be explained in much greater detail but I tried to keep it short.

Summary:

The way to save power on an LCD (Moto Droid/iPhone/Etc...) is to lower your brightness. Black backgrounds do not affect this.

The way to save power on an AMOLED (Incredible/Nexus One) screen is by BOTH lowering brightness and using dark backgrounds.

Like I said...less light, less juice...dancedroid

R24D24

Reaction score
OK after all the battery threads I decided to do some of my own real world experimenting with my INC. I've been using "advanced task killer" since I got the phone. Also, juice defender and juice plotter. Just realized after seeing a related thread that juice defender isn't working with 2.1 update yet so decided to turn it and plotter off, and stopped using the task killer incessantly. After the same 12 hour period of the same usage I had almost 25% more battery at the end of my day. I was at 42% as opposed to under 20%. Fluke or were those both sucking that much juice from my battery? Going to stay with this pattern for a bit to see if this helps....dancedroid still considering the seidio 1750mAh extended but for now looking at some alternatives to keeping this 1300mAH going for a longer time....

These "tests" people do are not even close to being accurate. The only way to be truly accurate is to have the EXACT same usage and standby time for the EXACT same time period. You would have to use the same apps/programs for the same amount of time on the same network from the same place, etc.

I have no problem getting through the day with my Inc, and can usually make it 2/3 through the second before having to charge it, and I consider myself to be a moderate to heavy user of all functions on my phone. I myself do use a task killer, though I'm not sold on it's results, and have my refresh rates turned down, and have no problems.