WANTED: New "virtual" keyboard

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
A few days ago I had an opportunity to use the virtual keyboard on an Apple iPhone -- it was a real joy to use. I've never had that kind of experience with the virtual keyboard on my Droid 4.

Having said that, is there a virtual keyboard I can download from the app store that will provide me with the same sort of experience? Alas, arthritis in both thumbs is beginning to limit my ability to use the "slider" on the D4.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A forum favorite is Swift Key. The next word prediction and auto fill accuracy is hard to top.
I personally prefer using a slider type of on-screen keyboard because my thumbs are very large, very clunky and it hurts to stretch them across large screens so typing is an adventure in futility with my thumbs or fingers. I prefer using Swype for its sliding capability, accuracy of slides and use of gestures. I have auto fill turned off on any keyboard I use.
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
+1 for SwiftKey

Alot of the 3rd party keyboard apps get better the more you use them. Not just cause you get used to them but because they start to pick up on your typing style and try to predict the next words as best as possible.

Google's keyboard is very good as well.

OP
Websquad

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
Thanks. For what it is worth, I could type the "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country." in one try on the Apple iPhone keyboard with no errors and no backspaces. Not so with SwiftKey. It must be a learning process (both for me and my Droid 4). How much does SwiftKey cost? I downloaded the "free" version, but it is only a 30 day trial!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think it was <$4 but can't recall, you'll have to check the play store. The Google keyboard is free and just about as good, I went with SwiftKey for aesthetics and found it to be more accurate over time.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have tried them all and eventually settled on Swype. It was stock on the Bionic and I loved it so maybe I am biased with that regard. When I moved to the S3, the Swype app wasn't there so I needed to find replacement. I tried them all and about the time I was giving up, Swype released their app as a paid app and I bought it and haven't had any problems since.

Of the others that I tried until I bought the paid version of Swype, I agree that the Swift Key was hands down better than the rest.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks. For what it is worth, I could type the "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country." in one try on the Apple iPhone keyboard with no errors and no backspaces. Not so with SwiftKey. It must be a learning process (both for me and my Droid 4). How much does SwiftKey cost? I downloaded the "free" version, but it is only a 30 day trial!

The more you use Swifkey, the more accurate it becomes. I used it for a while and in about a week or so I'd usually have to type out only the first word in a sentence and tap the suggested next word about 80% of the time after that. The only one in the market I've seen that also predicts punctuation is SlideIt but it's sliding accuracy is abysmal still. It has come a long way but still has a long way to go. The next word predictions are more accurate on it than the slides

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate