Want Verizon to get rid of contracts like T-Mobile?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, it may or may not help, but this petition is gaining a lot of traction, even making CNN... so it can't hurt!

Click Here to Sign

This thread is meant to just pass this on, not to start a big debate and/or argument, or to talk about how these petitions are a waste of time... etc. Stay positive! ;)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't think people know what they are asking for lol. The price for service will remain at 100+ a month. If people had the money to pay full price for a phone and go non contract they would have done so already. You know if after your two year contract is up you can buy a phone out right and just pay month to month. But we want to pay 200 for a phone so vzw makes us do something called sign a contract to make sure they get their money back. How dare they demand people pay for the rest of the price for the phone. I rather us have a petition to open up their network so I can buy unlocked phones via Google so I can save money instead of being stuck with their locked down controlled devices.

Edited ... auto correct :mad:
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think people know what they are asking for lol. The price for service will remain at 100+ a month. If people had the money to pay full price for a phone and go non contract they would have done so already. You know if after your two year contract is up you can buy a phone out right and just pay month to month. But we want to pay 200 for a phone so vzw makes us do something called sign a contract to make sure they get their money back. How dare they demand people pay for the rest of the price for the phone. I rather us have a petition to open up their network so I can buy unlocked phones via Google so I can save money instead of being stuck with their locked down controlled devices.

Edited ... auto correct :mad:
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Well the context of all of this is based on McAdam's comment that was in direct response to what T-Mobile is doing. So it's more about separating the cost of the phone from the bill itself, or at least having the freedom to do so. As someone who pays outright for my phones quite often, or buys them used, this is incredibly appealing to me.

If you paid $0 for your phone and signed up for a 2 year contract, and I paid $550 for the same phone (we'll assume brand new from Verizon instead of used) and didn't sign up for any contract, assuming we have identical plans, we're going to be paying the exact same each month. Verizon is subsidizing the cost of the phone for you. But what about me? I paid for it myself, so my monthly bill should be lower. That's what T-mobile is doing, and that's basically what this is all about.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Signed ;)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well the context of all of this is based on McAdam's comment that was in direct response to what T-Mobile is doing. So it's more about separating the cost of the phone from the bill itself, or at least having the freedom to do so. As someone who pays outright for my phones quite often, or buys them used, this is incredibly appealing to me.

If you paid $0 for your phone and signed up for a 2 year contract, and I paid $550 for the same phone (we'll assume brand new from Verizon instead of used) and didn't sign up for any contract, assuming we have identical plans, we're going to be paying the exact same each month. Verizon is subsidizing the cost of the phone for you. But what about me? I paid for it myself, so my monthly bill should be lower. That's what T-mobile is doing, and that's basically what this is all about.

If VZW does that then it would be great, but it will take a lot of people basically demanding it. Because right now I do not see VZW being in a hurry to make that change. They are more than happy to let you pay 600 for a phone and still pay the same price as a subsidized customer. That would mean more money for their stockholders. It would take att following through as well. As long as att look at VZW and VZW looks at att and neither is willing to make that move then it will take us informing people to let them know what they should be calling and inquiring about with their CSR.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If VZW does that then it would be great, but it will take a lot of people basically demanding it. Because right now I do not see VZW being in a hurry to make that change. They are more than happy to let you pay 600 for a phone and still pay the same price as a subsidized customer. That would mean more money for their stockholders. It would take att following through as well. As long as att look at VZW and VZW looks at att and neither is willing to make that move then it will take us informing people to let them know what they should be calling and inquiring about with their CSR.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

You're definitely right about that. The other scenario that might force Verizon's hand is if Tmobile manages to really start eating at the customer base. Then I could see Verizon doing it before AT&T just to say they were "first".

Honestly I don't think this would've ever even been considered a possibility had McAdams not said that he would consider it if Verizon customers showed enough interest in doing it, because as you said, the way it works right now is just extra money in their pockets.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alltel plans have Verizon some "oh crap" moments. Here in central Virginia the "oh crap" was "oh crap we lost another one to Alltel". Cash is king. The best petition will be the one signed with the wallet by customers switching carriers. They can't assimilate T mobile like they did Alltel to solve the problem.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta