want to use og droid as stand alone device i.e. no service plan

beachbum25

Reaction score
I bought a bionic and I want to give my og Droid to the kids and let them use it wifi only kinda like an iPod touch. Problem is is that when. I factory reset it (leaving it rooted) there is not a market and I cant get any apps so it makes it useless. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Bert

streetkid

Reaction score
I want to do this too.

However, with the possession of my droid lately, im so looking forward to smashing the living hell out of this POS phone that can't even last 2 years. I'm going to absolutely destroy the hell out of it when my upgrade comes Oct 16th.

I know its no help to you, but I'm so angry at the og droid.

Grievous

Reaction score
I just did this exact thing.
My wife and I have 2 droids, 1 Xoom, 1 Asus xformer, and 1 Ipad.
Our two boys are always asking to play games on them and our six yr old has gotten into trouble more than once for unauthorized purchases from the market
( Our Google accounts have credit cards associated with them for purchases )

So, after I picked up a new Bionic on Saturday I set up a new gmail account for my son and configured my old droid using the new account.

Create a new gmail account for your kids.
Factory reset Droid
Run through setup with new gmail account. ** NOTE ** It will time out looking for service but then will ask if you want to enable Wi-Fi.
New Wi-Fi enabled gaming/web device for the kids without a credit card to buy crap from the Market.

P.S My old droid was rooted/ROM'd with PE 4.2

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I dtont think working smartphones should ever be used as a child passifier for the reason listed above.....kuds screwing, something up.

Who wants their bionic dropped because junior wants to play angry birds?

Ironically...keeping an og droid for this situation is really one of the only valid reasons i see in keeping a second device when i thought the idea of a smartphone was consolidation of everything into one unit.

But as for your lack of a market issue..... you can go to *********** and download whatever apps directly to the sd card.

sent from my droid x while driving.....thank you tapatalk for making this possible

celtic11

Reaction score
You could also go to amazon.com and download their market.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

heavyvino

Reaction score
Makes a hell of an mp3 player. I got mine full with music junk and gtunes.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Makes a hell of an mp3 player. I got mine full with music junk and gtunes.

And so does the new droid bionic...

See this is what i dont understand....why carry around a second device for music....or gps....or camera.... when the newdevice you have does the same thing....probably better?
I can see for the kids so they dont mess with the new phone....but a lot of people on here insist on using multiple devices each dedicated to something specific. Why? I like having everything i need in one unit. And the great thing aboot droids over iphones is you can do multiple things at one time. That means i can run my gps, listen to mp3 through bluetooth and even text at the same time. I could understand if i couldnt do all at once.....but i can.

sent from my droid x while driving.....thank you tapatalk for making this possible

celtic11

Reaction score
And so does the new droid bionic...

See this is what i dont understand....why carry around a second device for music....or gps....or camera.... when the newdevice you have does the same thing....probably better?
I can see for the kids so they dont mess with the new phone....but a lot of people on here insist on using multiple devices each dedicated to something specific. Why? I like having everything i need in one unit. And the great thing aboot droids over iphones is you can do multiple things at one time. That means i can run my gps, listen to mp3 through bluetooth and even text at the same time. I could understand if i couldnt do all at once.....but i can.

My job involves a lot of traveling and working in different locations... I can see why someone would want to use a device for listening to music or gps so that they don't have to drain the battery on their actual phone. Plus it really doesn't matter whether you understand it or not. It seems I've seen you on a couple threads about this very topic, trying to talk people out of doing this. Not everybody feels the way you do, and that should be ok.

OP
B

beachbum25

Reaction score
Here is the whole story didn't have time to write it earlier. Phone was rooted and on lgb 1.92. i bought the bionic and instead of wasting money on an ipod touch i figured this would be a better option. Anyway, instead of unrooting and bringing it back to stock i just did a factory reset and signed in with their gmail. After connecting to wifi it booted up fine but no apps from the market, and no market. The phone is still rooted and running on lgb 1.92. Now i don't have a way of loading apps or any apk because i dont have a file manager like astro or whatever. I also don't know if unrooting would help or even how to unroot at this point. I have rooted and unrooted tons of times but with things like soup or root and z4 root. I keep a stock version of froyo on the card to unroot and bring back to stock but that is useless because i can't access it. Another thing is that when I go to the android market website adn try to download an app it says this account is not associated with any android device.

Grievous

Reaction score
Here is the whole story didn't have time to write it earlier. Phone was rooted and on lgb 1.92. i bought the bionic and instead of wasting money on an ipod touch i figured this would be a better option. Anyway, instead of unrooting and bringing it back to stock i just did a factory reset and signed in with their gmail. After connecting to wifi it booted up fine but no apps from the market, and no market. The phone is still rooted and running on lgb 1.92. Now i don't have a way of loading apps or any apk because i dont have a file manager like astro or whatever. I also don't know if unrooting would help or even how to unroot at this point. I have rooted and unrooted tons of times but with things like soup or root and z4 root. I keep a stock version of froyo on the card to unroot and bring back to stock but that is useless because i can't access it. Another thing is that when I go to the android market website adn try to download an app it says this account is not associated with any android device.

I don't know why you don't have access to the Market. I set my old droid up the other night with the kids gmail and Market apps download and install just fine.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
My job involves a lot of traveling and working in different locations... I can see why someone would want to use a device for listening to music or gps so that they don't have to drain the battery on their actual phone. Plus it really doesn't matter whether you understand it or not. It seems I've seen you on a couple threads about this very topic, trying to talk people out of doing this. Not everybody feels the way you do, and that should be ok.

You dont have a car charger?

I travel a lot too.

When people asked why i got a droid...it was to consolodate my accessories. Now people seem to be moving back to carrying seperate units again....just leaves me scratching my head.

I will say....at first i saw NO reason to keep an old phone that didnt have service other than an emergency backup....but making it a game player where kids can play angry birds or whatever and not risk them damaging your bionic of d3 does make sense. And keeping music on it for them works too.... im not a big fan of letting single digit aged kids mess with my smart phone simply because 'oopsies' happen way too much at that age and i got too much stuff on my phone i cant be without while im waiting on an insurance phone. But whatever.....

celtic11

Reaction score
You dont have a car charger?

I travel a lot too.

When people asked why i got a droid...it was to consolodate my accessories. Now people seem to be moving back to carrying seperate units again....just leaves me scratching my head.

I will say....at first i saw NO reason to keep an old phone that didnt have service other than an emergency backup....but making it a game player where kids can play angry birds or whatever and not risk them damaging your bionic of d3 does make sense. And keeping music on it for them works too.... im not a big fan of letting single digit aged kids mess with my smart phone simply because 'oopsies' happen way too much at that age and i got too much stuff on my phone i cant be without while im waiting on an insurance phone. But whatever.....

When I say I travel a lot I don't mean Im in the car a lot, rather that I work in a different town/city pretty much daily. Many times im working at a new construction site or on a roof where charging my phone isn't always possible.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I gotcha.... a standalone music player if you listen to music while working....that is something i could see.....but are you saying a standalone gps unit too? Befause i would think itlf you have your device plugged in, running a gps app, it would stay charged so when you got to work....it would be fine (unless you are listening to music all day)

Either way....to each their own....personally...i love having everything all in one unit too much to want to start carrying around multiple devices again.